Green Tractor Talk banner
7301 - 7320 of 7427 Posts

·
Premium Member
JD 2038R(x2 rear SCV, 3rd function), 220R Ldr, IMatch, RC2048, Pallet Forks, AV20H Grapple
131 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
$9xxx++ vs $8xx
an important consideration. I use my bh for many diferent things lately mostly for wieght in the back

·
Premium Member
JD 2038R(x2 rear SCV, 3rd function), 220R Ldr, IMatch, RC2048, Pallet Forks, AV20H Grapple
131 Posts
an important consideration. I use my bh for many diferent things lately mostly for wieght in the back
Exactly and I don't see needing it enough (the BH) to justify the cost. If I'm not able to get it done with what I have; the rental is pretty cheap for the weekend.

edit: and $9k is a bit high for ballast ;)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Exactly and I don't see needing it enough (the BH) to justify the cost. If I'm not able to get it done with what I have; the rental is pretty cheap for the weekend.

edit: and $9k is a bit high for ballast ;)
When i ordered the 2032r I decided to get the bh thinking it would not be used much but buying the package enabled long term financing and insurance that everything works together so I went for it. much to my surprise I ended using the bh enough in the first six months to pay for it. Some of what it did i likely would never have done if i didn't have the hoe sitting there. Money well spent I'm willing to say after the fact.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I use my backhoe more than I expected. And the 9k comes back at resale.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
41,672 Posts
When i ordered the 2032r I decided to get the bh thinking it would not be used much but buying the package enabled long term financing and insurance that everything works together so I went for it. much to my surprise I ended using the bh enough in the first six months to pay for it. Some of what it did i likely would never have done if i didn't have the hoe sitting there. Money well spent I'm willing to say after the fact.
I use my backhoe more than I expected. And the 9k comes back at resale.
(y) No argument from me on this topic.

·
Registered
2032R, 220R MSL, 270B
72 Posts
Our basement leaks during hurricane rain events, think Matthew was the most recent. Somewhere I got $6k in my head, and I would have written the check. If he had said $8k I would have bitched but I would have written the check. He came in at $11k to excavate, waterproof, footer drain to daylight. Well that's 50% of a 1025 TLB, and how I became a tractor owner. Finance committee got tired of all the tractor videos and indecision between 2025 and 2032, told me to go big so here I sit.
On topic, spent the last three days digging out the foundation, discovering weirdness with my footers, and starting the waterproofing. A little hydraulic cement here, some bitumous sealer there, several Lowes trips, and a lot of sweat.

The cream/white sheeting is the old waterproof membrane, which appears to have been glued with something black once upon a time. It's now brittle and not attached at all. And yes, the downspout was a backhoe casualty, but at least it wasn't the brick!

Attachments

·
Registered
2032R, 220R MSL, 270B
72 Posts
Oh, and make sure you park your backhoe on level ground, took an hour of massaging and using the 3rd function hoses as extensions to get everything lined up. It was tilted back away from the tractor, the backhoe frame was hitting the drawbar so I couldn't get close enough, the hydraulics had leaked down, and it was tilted left-right. Ugghh.

·
Registered
2032R, 220R MSL, 270B
72 Posts
Surprised to see your brick below grade like that.
looks like you are doing a nice job and having the TLB pay its own way too!
Yeah, I expected to see cement block, which is what the inside looks like. So, waiting on brick sealer to arrive tomorrow, as Home Depot only stocks the concrete+block sealer, not the brick sealer. I figure belt+suspenders+braces+some rope combined never hurt.

LastiSeal Brick Sealer across all bricks below grade
WR Grace Bituthene sealer in the wall/footer joint
WR Grace Bituthene membrane down wall and across 1/2 of footer top face, per instructions
WR Grace Bituthene sealer across all membrane edges and joints
NDS drain sheet to protect membrane during backfill + provide drainage down
4" SCH40 PVC drilled for footer drain for drainage out
thenaturalhome.com heavy geotextile fabric, #57 washed stone
4" CHD40 PVC for gutter downspout transport, to "Y" into the footer drain over 10' from house and drain to daylight, or dry well depending on slope and where it exits the terrain slope

It was a hot one today, but I keep reminding myself this earned Johnny, and now I have a swiss army knife for all sorts of projects.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Yeah, I expected to see cement block, which is what the inside looks like. So, waiting on brick sealer to arrive tomorrow, as Home Depot only stocks the concrete+block sealer, not the brick sealer. I figure belt+suspenders+braces+some rope combined never hurt.

LastiSeal Brick Sealer across all bricks below grade
WR Grace Bituthene sealer in the wall/footer joint
WR Grace Bituthene membrane down wall and across 1/2 of footer top face, per instructions
WR Grace Bituthene sealer across all membrane edges and joints
NDS drain sheet to protect membrane during backfill + provide drainage down
4" SCH40 PVC drilled for footer drain for drainage out
thenaturalhome.com heavy geotextile fabric, #57 washed stone
4" CHD40 PVC for gutter downspout transport, to "Y" into the footer drain over 10' from house and drain to daylight, or dry well depending on slope and where it exits the terrain slope

It was a hot one today, but I keep reminding myself this earned Johnny, and now I have a swiss army knife for all sorts of projects.
Congratulations on the new JD plus getting the job done to your satisfaction. Sorry about all the sweat involved.

Can you run drain tile at the bottom of the trench and daylight it somewhere?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Since I don't have much in flat level ground I usually take a floor jack with me to connect the backhoe. Lifting up on the bucket puts the crossbar closer to the ground so I can back over it, among other things.

Some day I hope to get pavement and good storage spaces with real floors.

I used the backhoe for a trifle task yesterday. Trying to put a stake in the corner of my winter garden to create a turkey fence I kept hitting rocks. I dug out the rocks which turned out to be about 1/3 of the contents in that particular hole. A couple were 50 lbs or so. Fence done. I like having the tools handy to do a job when I want to do it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Our basement leaks during hurricane rain events, think Matthew was the most recent. Somewhere I got $6k in my head, and I would have written the check. If he had said $8k I would have bitched but I would have written the check. He came in at $11k to excavate, waterproof, footer drain to daylight. Well that's 50% of a 1025 TLB, and how I became a tractor owner. Finance committee got tired of all the tractor videos and indecision between 2025 and 2032, told me to go big so here I sit.
On topic, spent the last three days digging out the foundation, discovering weirdness with my footers, and starting the waterproofing. A little hydraulic cement here, some bitumous sealer there, several Lowes trips, and a lot of sweat.
View attachment 794339

View attachment 794340

View attachment 794341

View attachment 794342

View attachment 794343

View attachment 794344

View attachment 794345

View attachment 794346

The cream/white sheeting is the old waterproof membrane, which appears to have been glued with something black once upon a time. It's now brittle and not attached at all. And yes, the downspout was a backhoe casualty, but at least it wasn't the brick!
thanks for the laugh....I think there are lots of people here like you that bought mcuts, scuts and recooped much of the cost on the first couple of jobs. I certainly did. That itty bitty tractor does the work of at least three men every time i use it saving lots of money pre covid but now saves none cause no one wants to work, no workers cept me and itty bitty.

·
Registered
2032R, 220R MSL, 270B
72 Posts
yep, got a quote to run 110v out to a brick post near the curb, about 150' trench and another 30-50 in the mechanical area in the basement. plenty of room in the breaker box, so we're talking weatherproof enclosure, 1 or 2 duplex outlets, drill through the brick+block, and a new breaker, presumably GFCI. I'll do the trenching and provide conduit; electrician quoted $2700, then said if they were to trench and run conduit too it would be $12-15k :eek: I politely declined. Haven't added up the materials cost yet, but figure I'm saving about $9k on the waterproofing and another $9k on the outlet run. Yes, backhoe will quickly be paid for and making a dent on the tractor and attachments.

Once the waterproofing is complete I'll start the trenching to the curb, going to run the conduit for the outlet and two more for telcom, no more 3" burial to cut cable or fiber.

Can you run drain tile at the bottom of the trench and daylight it somewhere?
Most of it. There is a section of house build RIGHT next to an outcropping of bedrock, looks like the death star trench with bedrock and house on the sides and poured concrete in the bottom. Once the brick steps back yes, I'll be putting the pipe next to the footer. This section it will need to lie on top of it.

Had some mud fill in, thanks Elsa, but you might make out 3 rock outcroppings, all higher than the footer and preventing placing the pipe beside it

·
Registered
2032R, 220R MSL, 270B
72 Posts
And while it's early, yes, already productive today. Woke up to rain which I didn't expect until later, so got drenched assembling some temporary piping to keep downspout water out of the trench while I wait for Elsa to pass through. Both pipes flowing off the side of the house, good slope over there

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Log splitter was delivered via Amazon; 5xx# and the delivery folks didn't have a way to unload it!!!! Johnny2 to the rescue ala pallet forks!!!
QED :)

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Got half the old play area fence down. Wife said she didn't want it up anymore. Down it goes. Still have a little more to take down but the area up front needed to go first so I can take some dead trees down and some live for more landscaping we want.

PXL_20210709_221110401.jpg

PXL_20210710_003618458.jpg

PXL_20210710_003527808.jpg

Basically we're going to take the corner of trees out and plant some shrubs and mulch area. Open the corner up a bit. Tomorrow the 2032r is going to push down some trees, and move in some dirt.

PXL_20210710_003714138.jpg

PXL_20210710_003729541.jpg

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Log splitter was delivered via Amazon; 5xx# and the delivery folks didn't have a way to unload it!!!! Johnny2 to the rescue ala pallet forks!!!
QED :)
I truly believe if you only buy one thing for a tractor it must be a proper fork attachment. Not bucket forks.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I truly believe if you only buy one thing for a tractor it must be a proper fork attachment. Not bucket forks.

Can you explain that, please? I have a frame with forks that quickly attaches to my loader (after I remove the bucket). Is that what you mean?

Reactions: DRobinson and Big

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
So I got all the trees down, only had to cut one, the rest pushed down roots and all. Uncovered 2 different yellow jacket nests, been stung 4 times and now recovering in the air conditioning. I'll head back out to clean up and place dirt in a little bit.

PXL_20210710_151638167.jpg

PXL_20210710_151213022.jpg

PXL_20210710_155111869.jpg

PXL_20210710_153657881.jpg

PXL_20210710_155452064.jpg

7301 - 7320 of 7427 Posts