Green Tractor Talk banner

2401 - 2420 of 2460 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
So a hard cider for breakfast while the wife and our 8wk old are asleep. Figured it was time to un-**** the issue of clearance between my front QH and the yoke that supports the forward side of the deck. I finally used my Dewalt cordless bandsaw and took off roughly 1/2" (8 threads). That still left me with 3/4" of travel in both directions.

Put it back together and began the leveling process. I start on hard pavement and then I start doing passes in the yard. Based upon what I see I'll give the leveling T handles a turn or two to clear up any unevenness my eyes see. If only my driveway was smooth I probably wouldn't have to do this....nahhh I'm anal I rather eye ball it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
12,070 Posts
Gave a deep cleaning to my old Hydro 185 before putting it into storage. Also was able to fix the seat that was coming part and get the cover and trim back together. Needs some touchup but not bad for a tractor bought new by my dad in 1988.
No it sure doesn't look bad. In fact, I have the same identical tractor (except I have the 46" deck) even with a bagger. Mine is a 1990 bought new by my late father in law. It's been well cared for, but yours is in slightly better shape. Enjoy it!

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

·
Registered
837 Posts
Brought the x738 up for moral support while the 310D is undergoing a repair on the 4WD transfer case actuator.

It's a good thing for the FIL and the 310 that I was a heavy diesel mechanic before I got a desk job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Post a few pics. The JD label says it is and so did the last owner

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sorry about the delay -- and it might be too late now as it sounds like you've been busy.
We were away yesterday on an all day 'mission'.

Blade/hitch/angling cylinder/lockout valve were not in stock at dealer when the 2020 X738 and 54HC were delivered. Shortly after they arrived was new in the box from Horicon (less than month ago). I picked up boxes and opened/assembled/installed as required.
I don't know why, but this hitch it does NOT have the model/sn label on the rhs, and I haven't found it somewhere else. (pics in some of OM's and instruction manuals for this stuff DO show a label same place as yours)

Perhaps there are revisions for different current X7xx models (X73x and X75x) earlier generations like (x72x and x74x) ?
The installation instructions do also make reference to the X4xx series.

In the pics you posted I'm only seeing one hole location for the cross/pivot rod on the front hitch. The one here has 2 holes at the bottom where the pivot rod crosses from side to side. It came assembled with the road in the front location. If this 2nd location is further ahead than the location on the one you have, it will put the cross rod further ahead -- therefore further from the threads/rods of the front deck support that is giving you trouble.

No mention of the use for the (rear) hole in the instructions. The kit for the angling cylinder was separate and needed to be installed.

Nothing to do with the leveling issued, but there is also another hole in this one for a ring to help keep the hoses from the second hyd cylinder in place. For front blade pivot, 2nd cylinder is mounted on the LH side, between the bottom plate and the plate that the main cylinder is mounted to. The LH shot of yours show the location where the rear of this cylinder is mounted.

I seem to be rambling....

Here's a pic.
Shows the 2 holes at the bottom. Holes are about 1" apart, so if the 2nd hole is a design revision, it would seem that it might be intended to prevent/reduce the issue you are having. Extra hole in the top is also in this pic.
20201003_121302[1].jpg

Even in this location, the pivot rod is maybe 3/8 - 1/2" or so from the ends of the rods.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Was browsing CL yesterday and managed to score a 47" snowblower for what I feel was too good of a price to pass up. Its in good shape for a blower that has definitely been used. Has the old style steel impeller so that's nice.

The darn implement shaft, and mid shaft are going to cost me more than the blower did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So a hard cider for breakfast while the wife and our 8wk old are asleep.
Best opening line to a forum post I've ever seen.
Godspeed brave soldier!

My 2 year old and wife are gone to grandma's for the long weekend, so hoping to get some loader work done.
Got the custom ballast box "ordered" at the local weld shop.
Got caught up on mowing just before dusk.
Will be removing mower deck and reinstalling FEL after this supper break.

Hopefully get started on the loader work at a decent time tomorrow morning.

-- David

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Sorry about the delay -- and it might be too late now as it sounds like you've been busy.
We were away yesterday on an all day 'mission'.

Blade/hitch/angling cylinder/lockout valve were not in stock at dealer when the 2020 X738 and 54HC were delivered. Shortly after they arrived was new in the box from Horicon (less than month ago). I picked up boxes and opened/assembled/installed as required.
I don't know why, but this hitch it does NOT have the model/sn label on the rhs, and I haven't found it somewhere else. (pics in some of OM's and instruction manuals for this stuff DO show a label same place as yours)

Perhaps there are revisions for different current X7xx models (X73x and X75x) earlier generations like (x72x and x74x) ?
The installation instructions do also make reference to the X4xx series.

In the pics you posted I'm only seeing one hole location for the cross/pivot rod on the front hitch. The one here has 2 holes at the bottom where the pivot rod crosses from side to side. It came assembled with the road in the front location. If this 2nd location is further ahead than the location on the one you have, it will put the cross rod further ahead -- therefore further from the threads/rods of the front deck support that is giving you trouble.

No mention of the use for the (rear) hole in the instructions. The kit for the angling cylinder was separate and needed to be installed.

Nothing to do with the leveling issued, but there is also another hole in this one for a ring to help keep the hoses from the second hyd cylinder in place. For front blade pivot, 2nd cylinder is mounted on the LH side, between the bottom plate and the plate that the main cylinder is mounted to. The LH shot of yours show the location where the rear of this cylinder is mounted.

I seem to be rambling....

Here's a pic.
Shows the 2 holes at the bottom. Holes are about 1" apart, so if the 2nd hole is a design revision, it would seem that it might be intended to prevent/reduce the issue you are having. Extra hole in the top is also in this pic. View attachment 756243

Even in this location, the pivot rod is maybe 3/8 - 1/2" or so from the ends of the rods.
That's quite interesting! Looks like my QH might be designed for the X series however it might have been an early one. Like you said maybe a first rev where you have a 2nd rev. For what I paid for it (250ish ) i have no issues cutting 3/4" off the U-yoke. I have since be able to level the deck and it has been cutting very well! I think I just did my final cut yesterday on height setting #2.5 making it easy for the leaves to blow off the lawn.

Reactions: x738

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Best opening line to a forum post I've ever seen.
Godspeed brave soldier!

My 2 year old and wife are gone to grandma's for the long weekend, so hoping to get some loader work done.
Got the custom ballast box "ordered" at the local weld shop.
Got caught up on mowing just before dusk.
Will be removing mower deck and reinstalling FEL after this supper break.

Hopefully get started on the loader work at a decent time tomorrow morning.

-- David
I've enjoyed 2 weeks of paternity leave. Wife takes care of the baby 90% of the time and allows me to bang out my projects.

Hope you got all your projects done!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sucked leaves with the GX345...

I fueled it up and went to start it, no dice. Had spark. Fuel to the pump, fuel coming out of the pump. Hhhmmmmm..... cranked it again and it started! WTF?! Did I have vapor lock even though I had the fuel cap off then on??

·
Registered
208 Posts
Plowed 3/4 of an acre of scrub land after it was bush hogged between my 318 and friends on a 420 and a 430.
It was really tough going, lots of roots from grass and shrubs.
Landowner might plant a cover crop and some corn to attract the deer he hunts.

JD 110H, 140H3, & 318 w/ 23HP Vanguard

·
Registered
837 Posts
For anyone wondering what a 54HC deck on an x738 can do with a full time mulch kit, here are some before and after shots of my lawn and a leaf pile my kids made.

Before.

After.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got some time to work on the new to me x728 Friday before the rain came for the rest of the weekend.

It appears my leak on the 45 loader was just a bad o-ring. Time will tell I guess but move around and picked up some dirt and no leak as of yet.

Got the deck off and just the loader on for the first time as well so I could clean up the deck.

Does not appear the underside of the deck had been cleaned in some time as I need a pry bar so scrape off much of this. Debating on if I want to try and get it fully down to metal and coat the rust or just leave it as is.

Deck isn't in bad shape but could use a good bath.

So some degreaser, soap, and a bit of scrubbing and it looks much better.

Also cleaned and UV protected the plastic covers to help extend their life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hope you got all your projects done!
Got the main Deere project done in a fraction of the time I expected...

Before shots...

20201010_101601.jpg

20201010_101623.jpg

This is a lean-to built on the side of a 12x20 yard shed. It's been a multi-year project to replace posts, walls, add the clear panels to make it a greenhouse-type area, etc. Previous owners had used drywall screws and interior grade plywood for a lot of it.
I had finally got the dirt/concrete chunk/road mix/random rusty nails dug out by hand. Some of that got dumped on the shootin' pile out yonder due to the nails so the 425 had helped with that stage.

Friday's project was to fill it back in with some good stuff from a 4 year old wood chip pile the tree trimmers had dumped.

After shots....

20201010_120738.jpg

20201010_120756.jpg

The area is 7' wide by 13' long, and I filled in about 12-15" of depth.
I figured it would take a couple hours maybe three...nope...took ONE hour of machine time.

I built up a big pile just inside the wider door (the second pics in before and after shots) and then spread further down by hand. I had considered driving in from the short end of the lean-to and building a ramp to drive further and further in, but decided not to take the machine across the new material because it's so light and fluffy I would have sunk quite a bit.

So even with hoping on and off to spread by hand, extra sips of coffee that was cooling down faster than expected, plus the standard additional time when you're doing something for the first time, I was still under an hour and a half for total time and only an hour of machine time. With a second person to spread while I scoop the next bucket worth and no coffee breaks, this could probably be done in a half hour.

This area is intended to serve as a small rabbitry and a winter/rainy day chicken run (the temporary chicken door is visible in pics). So it will get scooped out and refilled a few times a year with the outgoing material being spread in the gardens and fruit tree areas.

Still plenty left to do, but the backfilling went so fast I was able to get almost everything closed up well enough to be move-in ready and extremely close to fully winter-ready.

Here's a "just because" glamour shot of the 425 with loader....

-- David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Plowed 3/4 of an acre of scrub land after it was bush hogged between my 318 and friends on a 420 and a 430.
It was really tough going, lots of roots from grass and shrubs.
Looks awesome!

How well do these types of tractors do with tillage?
I'm wondering how much ballast the tractors had, depth you were getting. soil moisture conditions, etc. etc.

I'm wanting to do something similar in my couple acre grassy chicken "pasture" area.
I'm not looking to turn the soil over so much as just rip/subsoil down as deep as my 425 can handle without engine issues.
Figure if I can make repeated passes on a track, I can go progressively deeper each time and get the ground opened up to improve drainage, build organic matter, break up the clay, etc. etc.
I'm also looking into a drag harrow with solid tines that have adjustable depth/angle and a bracket for adding tube sand to help it bite deeper. Figure this could help break up the surface thatch, clay, etc. for better drainage as well as even things out a bit for a smoother ride.

I'd probably mow quite low prior to any ripping or harrowing, lower than what a bush hog would take it.

Once I have my ballast box built, I will be able to run about 850#s of ballast (with the operator) plus the 1000+ #s of tractor and loader weight. But without a 3 pt hitch to add downforce, I'm not sure how well I'll be able to rip, plow, harrow, etc.
From your pics, it looks like the tractors aren't as heavy as mine will be and there doesn't appear to be much extra weight on the plows.

Been trying to find info on tillage with small tractors like these, but so many articles are meant for the "big boy tractors" doing several hundred acres before lunch.

-- David

·
Registered
208 Posts
David
We were plowing about 4-5” deep in clay/loam. Although the one end of the field was really heavy black soil which was much harder to plow.
The 430 is the ultimate Deere garden tractor for plowing, seeing it’s the only Diesel with the 2spd rear end.
The 430 in my pictures has rear starter weights (75lbs each) and 2 suitcase weights for ballast.
My 318 has rear tires loaded with Rimguard, one set of 50lb wheel weights and 5 suitcase weights for ballast.
Both Brinly plows have 2 suitcase weights on them.
In spots where my 23HP 318 struggled at wide open throttle the 430 walks through at 3/4 throttle due to the extra weight and lower gearing.
Subsoiling/ripping can take a tremendous amount of power and weight depending on soil conditions.
The best way to subsoil with a garden tractor might be a Heavy Hitch with some suitcase weights on it and the ripper mounted in the 2” receiver.
Don’t forget the front ballast and wheel weights.
Also 3pt hitches typically don’t have downforce, doing so would take weight off rear tires causing a loss of traction.

JD 110H, 140H3, & 318 w/ 23HP Vanguard

·
Premium Member
14,378 Posts
Got some time to work on the new to me x728 Friday before the rain came for the rest of the weekend.
By the looks of the painted zerk fitting it appears the previous owner didn't do much greasing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
By the looks of the painted zerk fitting it appears the previous owner didn't do much greasing.

View attachment 757436
@jgayman I was wondering about that actually. Did they come painted like that from JD cause if so then yeah he never did any greasing but on the loader not sure it is too bad since it appears he never really hardly used it as the part number and shipping labels on still stuck on the inside of the bucket. They are faded a bit but still there.

If you look at the deck I cleaned above as well pretty much all the zerks were covered in dirt and don't appear to have greased often. He did at least get the tractor serviced so hopefully the dealer did when it was in but I don't believe the loader ever went back for service with it.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Well after a year, I put the 45 FEL back on the X585. Plans are to give it a good going over and service, pull the mower deck and take it back to town to be used strictly for loader work around the house. Mowing duties around the house will continue to fall on the x300. Now the 1025R will pick up all mower duties around the barnyard at the farm, and the 5320 will handle everything else. Going to be nice to have the help around the house.
7B357DA1-8977-450E-9555-ACD03A83B121.jpeg

2401 - 2420 of 2460 Posts