Green Tractor Talk banner

2421 - 2440 of 2460 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
David
We were plowing about 4-5” deep in clay/loam. Although the one end of the field was really heavy black soil which was much harder to plow.
The 430 is the ultimate Deere garden tractor for plowing, seeing it’s the only Diesel with the 2spd rear end.
The 430 in my pictures has rear starter weights (75lbs each) and 2 suitcase weights for ballast.
My 318 has rear tires loaded with Rimguard, one set of 50lb wheel weights and 5 suitcase weights for ballast.
Both Brinly plows have 2 suitcase weights on them.
In spots where my 23HP 318 struggled at wide open throttle the 430 walks through at 3/4 throttle due to the extra weight and lower gearing.
Subsoiling/ripping can take a tremendous amount of power and weight depending on soil conditions.
The best way to subsoil with a garden tractor might be a Heavy Hitch with some suitcase weights on it and the ripper mounted in the 2” receiver.
Don’t forget the front ballast and wheel weights.
Also 3pt hitches typically don’t have downforce, doing so would take weight off rear tires causing a loss of traction.

JD 110H, 140H3, & 318 w/ 23HP Vanguard
Awesome write up thanks!

Re: 3 pt downforce counteracting tratcion...duh, I should've thought of that haha.

Re: using a heavy hitch... googled them and it looks like the main purpose would be the ability to combine weight and
the 2" receiver correct? I'm having my welder add a receiver to the ballast box so I think that may work. I'm trying to figure a work around to be able to raise and lower a ripper, harrow, etc. without a 3 pt since those are a bit pricey.

Re: front ballast... I'm hoping the loader bucket and frame will be enough to keep my steers anchored enough to be effective, though most of my cuts would be straight lines so not much steering needed I assume. I did notice your suitcases on the front are set to one side to counter balance the lean caused by straddling the unbroken soil and the newly turned soil.

Thanks again for the extra info. I think I'll eventually be able to get something suitable figured out. If not, I'll have to find a neighbor with something larger and offer to trade labor and meat for equipment time haha.

-- David

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Mowed the grass (and fallen leaves) , hoping to put on the powerflo and start bagging soon .

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
My 455 has been stored in my barn. It's been 15 months since it was last started or used (even moved). I reached over and turned the key to see if the battery was charged. The dash lights came on and then the glow plug light went out as it should. I turned the key and it instantly started. It stumbled rough for a few seconds and then smoothed right out. I looked at the hour meter and its got 2,696 hours on it.

Got it outside and hooked up the MC519 cart and blower to the 60" deck and then used it for 2 hours picking up leaves in neighbors lawns I take care of for them. She never missed a beat. Didn't run hot, the PTO handled the grass cutting and 12 full carts of leaves without any problems.

The old girl, who I have had since new, has each side panel broken from vibration and the hood is cracked from when I slammed my knees into the back corners of it when plowing snow and caught a driveway edge. The steering shaft has some slop in it from years of work, but also years of grabbing the wheel to get on and off the machine. But she runs good, did a beautiful job picking up the leaves and reminded me of why I continue to keep her around.

She has a new JD seat which I keep under a cover to protect it. She could use a good power washing and then grease job to push the water out of any joints. 2,700 hours and going strong....Sure did a nice job cleaning up the leaves and cutting the grass, looked just like a vacuum cleaner had gone over the lawn.........

Think it's time to get her a new hood and side panels and decals and get into the steering and resolve that issue. She's a long ways from new and isn't shined and cared for like she once was, but she still cuts grass and collect leaves like a champion and made me proud again today.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
I switched my attachments and accessories from the x475 to the x585 then used the 45 to move a couple attachments on pallets, then used the mcs to pickup leaves. I don’t think it did as nice of a job as sulleybears 455 but it did well, it was only one container full, where it would have been 4-5 dumps with the powerflo and double bagger. The x585 definitely has more weight in the front end. I did cleanup without front weights and it did better then the x475 with 4 weights.

·
Registered
245 Posts
November 1st, last mow of the season for the x750. Grass around the shop and the over the septic tank needed to be mowed...but the rest was pretty short.

Ended the year with 179 hours total on the JD. Looked back in my records...last mow for 2019 was October 30th...at 145.6 hours.

So for the year, I logged 33.4 hours : )

·
Registered
27 Posts
That old road behind the place might make for a good route for the Halloween ride, if it's accessible enough.
Pics make it look nice and sunny in the daylight, but there's just something about trees and rustling leaves as night falls that can make things more exciting. Plus you could always fake a tractor malufunction to add to the suspense, haha.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Love that road you have back there. The grapple made easy work of that tree.

I prepped my walk behind snowblower for a prospective buyer coming Wednesday. Hopefully I will make a sale and offset the cost of the drive shafts I need to make my refurbished blower work.

The x738 lies in wait for its new toy.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had to mow in the dark today because I have a lot to do tomorrow and mowing had to be done today, so i finally can show you my selfmade working lights: (that big light at the chute is from my brother in law)

The first picture shows the lights installed on the cargomounts (2 in the front holes and 1 at the end of the machine)

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yesterday I swapped the carb on the '95 345 for an Amazon Chinese knock-off. No adjustments - left the throttle and choke plate back to where they were. Fired it up, idled (hasn't for two years) and mowed about an hour. Ran great, didn't die. It had been stalling out with increasing frequency over the past year or so. I had even switched to an electric fuel pump as it seemed like vapor lock. Old carb had been cleaned twice. Is this the final solution? That question will have to wait for summer's heat and grass growth to answer, but it sure was nice to be able to finish up the yards finally. This coming week the deck will probably come off and front blade will go on. Just to keep the snow away.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yesterday I did the 50 hour transaxle service. Not as bad as I thought. “On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the toughest, it was a solid 2”.

Before I started I checked the fluid level (I got the tractor at 42 hours) and it didn’t show up on the dipstick either fully in or just sitting on the ring as per the JD manual. No leaks and it ran fine and I could have sworn I checked it when I got the machine.

Loosened the front wheel lug bolts as well as the right rear and got the front up on jack stands. Invariably the center drain was right on the deck hanger arm so I used a little bit of aluminum foil to make a “funnel” to channel the fluid into the center drain pan. Oh, I’m a bohunk so removing the front deck hanger didn’t occur to me until after the service was done. Lifted the rear from the hitch, pulled the wheel and then used a second floor jack to lift from the outside so I could get the rear floor jack out of the way and then the drain pan could slide under the drain plug and the oil filter.

All vent and filler plugs came out easy except for the hex plug for the front axle that was conveniently buried under the exhaust. Even with a universal it was tricky. Of course when I was draining the left front I unscrewed the vent plug a little too far before I had the drain pan lifted up close to the drain hole . Yep, the fluid went from a trickle and shot a nice stream of fluid over top of the pan and on to the floor at the jack stand. What’s a project without at least one spill! The oil filter was on super tight but I was pretty shocked that it had a ton of dirt and grass packed in above and behind it. I blow the machine off pretty good after every use and I didn’t see the clump of grass and debris on top of the filter boss until I started twisting the filter. Oh well, I brushed as much off as I could once I saw it. Used some brake cleaner to make sure no crap was in the filter boss. Filled up the front until it started to fill the right front vent, capped that one and filled until the left one came up. Noticed that the threads inside the front axle fill plug had some crap in there so I cleaned that out also. Strange since the axle was perfectly clean outside.

Whole job took a leisurely hour or so and took the exact 3 gallons and ½ of a quart that the manual says. Gotta hand it to JD the manual is one of the best written I’ve seen. It has logically grouped sections that are easy to follow and has very little clutter. Almost as if it was written by a mechanic not a lawyer.

Only thing I noticed is that the factory oil I drained out was a greenish fluid that smelled like brake fluid. The replacement Hy-Gard Low Vis was bluish and smelled like ATF. Weird.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
I did a small modification to the mcs today because I was finding leaves blocking the cooling air on the little Honda. It would be completely blocked every time I dumped the leaves, so it wasn’t really dumping from the seat, when I had to get off every time.

It worked perfectly, what you see is all the buildup I had. I also found when actually full the x585 was getting a little light in the front, so I put the suitcase weights on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Buddy of mine traded me about 3/4 cord of split oak firewood for a downed pine I had that I made into some log tables and two benches for his new fire pit. As well as some assistance moving the gravel up his hill to the new pit.

Liked this picture but it showed me I definitely need some upper work lights.

After three loads I gave up in the dark. I hate having to stop work at only 6pm. Started back up the next morning but man the loader is a time saver.

I won't stack higher than 4ft so it doesn't fall over so then moved onto another smaller spot. Thankfully the loader could lift above it and I didn't have to carry it all the way around.

Nice and restocked for some fires this fall/winter outside. Might have him bring me one more trailer.

Then got to go play in the dirt.

Covered the large mud puddles with a tarp.

Was about 2.5 cubic yards. Had it all up in about 14 trips.

Log benches I cut with a chainsaw for him.

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
CCcoltsicehockey....

Tell your puppy to be careful using that torch after so many empty beer cans.......We don't want to see anything bad happen when you mix fire and brew-skis.......o_O What's your K9 pals name?

Isn't it curious how no one ever crushes pop cans and just beer cans when they are empty? I guess it's just not the same to say "Watch me crush this diet Dr Pepper can", verses the beer cans.

Lights on the loader uprights will provide a huge improvement in forward visibility. You might also try one flood and one spot light pattern lights, as the flood will throw the wide beam to illuminate right down in the work area in front and the spot light will throw the beam down ahead of you, picking up where the flood beam ends.

Only someone with a new tractor would put down a tarp to keep their tractor clean.......Just wait, soon you will be splashing though the mud to see how far the tires can throw it........ (y) ;)

Nice job on the benches, the fire pit area and the entire project. Thanks for sharing.....;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
CCcoltsicehockey....

Tell your puppy to be careful using that torch after so many empty beer cans.......We don't want to see anything bad happen when you mix fire and brew-skis.......o_O What's your K9 pals name?

Isn't it curious how no one ever crushes pop cans and just beer cans when they are empty? I guess it's just not the same to say "Watch me crush this diet Dr Pepper can", verses the beer cans.

Lights on the loader uprights will provide a huge improvement in forward visibility. You might also try one flood and one spot light pattern lights, as the flood will throw the wide beam to illuminate right down in the work area in front and the spot light will throw the beam down ahead of you, picking up where the flood beam ends.

Only someone with a new tractor would put down a tarp to keep their tractor clean.......Just wait, soon you will be splashing though the mud to see how far the tires can throw it........ (y) ;)

Nice job on the benches, the fire pit area and the entire project. Thanks for sharing.....;)
That is my buddies dog. His name is Jackson.

That is a good idea one flood light and one spotlight.

The fact his 4wd truck with mud tires on it couldn't push a trailer up the hill I was more worried about getting the tractor stuck in the sticky clay mud than getting it dirty. It was a nice added benefit though with it staying clean :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Tractor is up on jack stands and off all 4 wheels. Front PTO shaft arrives today. Now that the work on the snowblower is done it's time to give the ole girl some regularly scheduled maintenance.

Trans/hydraulic fluid flush and fill
Engine valve adjustment
PTO shaft install
Tap into headlight circuit for snowblower led lights
General lubrication on the underside
General condition and fastener inspection
Address corrosion of positive battery post

·
Registered
837 Posts
Pulled valve covers today. Found something interesting. The no.1 cylinder intake valve is actually set too tight. Spec is 0.15mm and it's set at at around 0.11mm (0.13 won't go and 0.10mm is just a hair too loose). Seems odd a brand new ending would be that tight after 180hrs. This is the first time I've checked them. The other 3 valves are on the tight side as well just not as tight.

I guess some adjustments are due.

For any curious what it looks like in there.

Focused the camera down the spark plugs hole in this shot.

2421 - 2440 of 2460 Posts