Green Tractor Talk banner

2561 - 2576 of 2576 Posts

·
Registered
John Deere 2025r
108 Posts
Oh that's a good idea since it is already switched from the factory and the rocker is on the dash. I'll have to see what fuse amp size is feeding that switch. The LEDS won't draw much so it shouldn't be too concerning. When I tap it I will try to locate a waterproof T-tap rather than a standard one. I don't need the moisture getting in there when plowing.

I don't remember the size but I had two 6 inch round led lights, and later upgraded to a 20 inch led bar. never had any issues.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well the Seattle area had one heck of a snow event...at least for around here..12" over a day and a half.
I just bought my X758 tractor and now am needing it to push snow and a lot of it....1500 feet of roadway plus my own property parking and driveway.
....Using the 54" angling blade.
The machine is fast pushing snow...has tons of traction using six 42lb suitcase weights .
I have never plowed snow but think I have enough practice to do it pretty efficiently for the next time.
I didn't try out my new 54" blower though... had too much fun with the blade!
I had to clean up the mess the neighbor made with his Bolens 4WD loader.
He thanked me too.😄

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Well the Seattle area had one heck of a snow event...at least for around here..12" over a day and a half.
I just bought my X758 tractor and now am needing it to push snow and a lot of it....1500 feet of roadway plus my own property parking and driveway.
....Using the 54" angling blade.
The machine is fast pushing snow...has tons of traction using six 42lb suitcase weights .
I have never plowed snow but think I have enough practice to do it pretty efficiently for the next time.
I didn't try out my new 54" blower though... had too much fun with the blade!
I had to clean up the mess the neighbor made with his Bolens 4WD loader.
He thanked me too.😄
Plowed snow at the Beginning of winter with the JD 2025R & Loader Mounted Blade Been Using the X748 with 47inch Blower Lately for snow removal Because I am starting to run out of room for snow storage. This winter is reminding me of the winters I use to get as a Kid In North Eastern Illinois (y)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
I finally got around to installing the maintainer harness (that I bought 8 months ago) on the battery :rolleyes:
I love my harness. I couldn't imagine using the alligator clamps every time.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
If your pulling the hood and clamping direct to the battery it’s definitely a no go. I clamp onto the starter post and an engine bolt when I need to charge mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love my harness. I couldn't imagine using the alligator clamps every time.

If your pulling the hood and clamping direct to the battery it’s definitely a no go. I clamp onto the starter post and an engine bolt when I need to charge mine.
Can you explain these two comments further?

I've been moving the battery on my 425 into a (somewhat) warmer garage in between snow drift abatement sessions.
Theory being a warmer battery will crank easier and be less likely to fail to perform when I need it.
So far I've just been screwing the cables down with the nut and bolt that's on there all year.
But I had been thinking some sort of clamp situation would be much quicker and easier.

It's getting enough use lately ...and is new enough...that I'm not having to use a "wall charger" to top it off.
I'm just taking the extra precaution because it's really not all THAT difficult and seems like a "can't hurt, might help" type of thing. That being said though, it'd save an extra few minutes every time I turn the tractor on or off to be able to just quickly clamp something on the posts.

I'm not familiar with all the options out there, but I was envisioning something with a jumper cable style clamp on one end and a terminal to bolt directly to the regular battery cables.
I've been leaving the front panel off which saves a lot of hassle getting to the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Battery terminal connections for the tender is the easiest way to go. Using the alligator clips is a hassle imo.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Can you explain these two comments further?

I've been moving the battery on my 425 into a (somewhat) warmer garage in between snow drift abatement sessions.
Theory being a warmer battery will crank easier and be less likely to fail to perform when I need it.
So far I've just been screwing the cables down with the nut and bolt that's on there all year.
But I had been thinking some sort of clamp situation would be much quicker and easier.

It's getting enough use lately ...and is new enough...that I'm not having to use a "wall charger" to top it off.
I'm just taking the extra precaution because it's really not all THAT difficult and seems like a "can't hurt, might help" type of thing. That being said though, it'd save an extra few minutes every time I turn the tractor on or off to be able to just quickly clamp something on the posts.

I'm not familiar with all the options out there, but I was envisioning something with a jumper cable style clamp on one end and a terminal to bolt directly to the regular battery cables.
I've been leaving the front panel off which saves a lot of hassle getting to the battery.
A warm battery does last longer, but that’s a lot of work to extend the life of a battery you can replace for $35

Trickle chargers are the best way to get long life out of a battery that doesn’t get removed. If you buy a new tender it comes with an adapter to bolt directly to the battery and use a quick connect. Pictured in the post above.

I long ago lost those adapters so I still use the standard alligator clamps. Normally you would put the clips on the battery terminals, but you have to remove the grill, and my x585 requires dropping the loader and pulling the hood to do that. I can just open the hood and put clamps on the opposite end of battery cables, red on the starter, black goes anywhere on the engine.

On a 425 you would still have to pull a side panel, so the adapter will save you actual work to use, instead of just being a matter of preference as it is on the higher end x-series.

I’m in no way knocking the adapter, but there’s no logic supporting that either an adapter or alligator clips is better or easier then the other. Both are hooked up in under 10 seconds without effort or disassembly.

If I had a 425 with battery issues and a new tender with the adapter for permanent installation I would definitely install if. On an x series, I see it as dealers choice.

My ego doesn’t require my solution to be the best, there’s more then one way to accomplish the same task without excessive efforts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A warm battery does last longer, but that’s a lot of work to extend the life of a battery you can replace for $35

Trickle chargers are the best way to get long life out of a battery that doesn’t get removed. If you buy a new tender it comes with an adapter to bolt directly to the battery and use a quick connect. Pictured in the post above.

I long ago lost those adapters so I still use the standard alligator clamps. Normally you would put the clips on the battery terminals, but you have to remove the grill, and my x585 requires dropping the loader and pulling the hood to do that. I can just open the hood and put clamps on the opposite end of battery cables, red on the starter, black goes anywhere on the engine.

On a 425 you would still have to pull a side panel, so the adapter will save you actual work to use, instead of just being a matter of preference as it is on the higher end x-series.

I’m in no way knocking the adapter, but there’s no logic supporting that either an adapter or alligator clips is better or easier then the other. Both are hooked up in under 10 seconds without effort or disassembly.

If I had a 425 with battery issues and a new tender with the adapter for permanent installation I would definitely install if. On an x series, I see it as dealers choice.

My ego doesn’t require my solution to be the best, there’s more then one way to accomplish the same task without excessive efforts.

Ok, excellent, thanks!

That all makes sense the way you laid it out.

I had bought a maintainer/float charger/tender/trickle charger (not sure of the technical differences, if any) device last summer when I was having various charging and electrical issues, but it didn't perform as advertised.
Was supposed to shut itself off when the battery reached a full charge....but when I would check it, the battery would be at 15+ volts and climbing.
It was a lower end device, so that may have been the problem or it may have just been a faulty individual in an otherwise decent brand. It did come with those adapters, as well as an in-line fuse.

I've just left the grill off the 425 to get the battery in and out. Not much snow getting into the engine bay since the frame for the loader (and lack of traction) keeps me from pushing too far into the piles. Reaching past the loader is tolerable...for now at least.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Ok, excellent, thanks!

That all makes sense the way you laid it out.

I had bought a maintainer/float charger/tender/trickle charger (not sure of the technical differences, if any) device last summer when I was having various charging and electrical issues, but it didn't perform as advertised.
Was supposed to shut itself off when the battery reached a full charge....but when I would check it, the battery would be at 15+ volts and climbing.
It was a lower end device, so that may have been the problem or it may have just been a faulty individual in an otherwise decent brand. It did come with those adapters, as well as an in-line fuse.

I've just left the grill off the 425 to get the battery in and out. Not much snow getting into the engine bay since the frame for the loader (and lack of traction) keeps me from pushing too far into the piles. Reaching past the loader is tolerable...for now at least.
The 2 well known name brands for trickle chargers are Battery Tender and NOCO. I think a battery tender jr would be the cheapest option from a well known manufacturer.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
The x585 was out unloading my trailer. The 4wd was great, I could lift a little to create more traction even with glare ice involved.

Time to get the next load.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
The x585 was out again today. First it unloaded a cat 1 cement box by dragging, then it spun the loader around and helped mount it on the 755.

After that it just tipped the weight box upright, and let the 755 do the lifting. I wish I knew what it weighed, because it was about 1 lb more then it could lift with the bucket at mid height.

It looks like the 755 will take the x585’s garage spot, I just need to decide what weights and accessories stay on it. Probably the 3-point hitch, and one set of wheel weights.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
The x585 did probably its last work for me today putting away the the mower.

I remembered I need the 3 point for my mcs, so that was returned to the x475 and removed the decision on how to equip the x585 for sale. I would have needed to buy a relief valve, and both snowblower driveshafts to keep the x585 and put the loader on the x475 for sale.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
207 Posts
The x585 did probably its last work for me today putting away the the mower.

I remembered I need the 3 point for my mcs, so that was returned to the x475 and removed the decision on how to equip the x585 for sale. I would have needed to buy a relief valve, and both snowblower driveshafts to keep the x585 and put the loader on the x475 for sale.
Pretty nice lookin machine. Wish I was in the market I plan on a 585 being my next purchase.

·
Corndog Hater
12,435 Posts
Reactions: rydplrs
2561 - 2576 of 2576 Posts