Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

Every other forum has a version of this thread and since I replaced the spindle bearings on my 318/46 deck today, I figured it was a good excuse to start this thread. :good2:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Had some fun with the 430 yesterday. Replaced the usual wheel barrow chores with the loader while clearing some leaves from the drain swale, moving around some mulch to the flower beds and clearing a tree that had blown down and blocked the trail in the woods.

I need to come up with a better leaf moving system. The bucket, while bigger than the wheel barrow is too small to move the leaves as efficiently as using a tarp. But I don't especially like dragging the tarp behind me anymore, so I'll need to come up with a way to hook the tarp to the 3 pt and drag it behind the 430 without losing the leaves along the way. I have until fall to brainstorm that.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Yesterday I used the fel bucket to scrape and dig up some burning bush shrubs that took over the front flower bed. It took some time but was easier on my back than hand digging through the stubborn roots.

As I dumped them back in the woods I discovered I will need to adjust the forward / reverse linkage. I briefly got stuck trying to back up a slight incline. Didn't seem to have enough 'guts' in reverse.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Tilled our garden with the 316! I'd be willing to bet this setup is about 1400 lbs, with the tiller and weights.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Tilled our garden with the 316! I'd be willing to bet this setup is about 1400 lbs, with the tiller and weights.
I think when your tractor weighs that much,,,, you should be required to move your posts to the SCUT forum!! :dunno:

:laugh:

Nice rig!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thank you!

The old girl still works hard, and will soon be getting a new fuel line, valves adjusted, and the heavy duty driveshaft that clamps to the input shaft on the hydro (scored off of Ebay). :)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The rainfall from the last week or so has softened up the flower beds real good so today will be the day to install the hooks on the bucket and try to wrap a chain around an unwanted shrub and pull it out with the loader on the 430.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thank you!

The old girl still works hard, and will soon be getting a new fuel line, valves adjusted, and the heavy duty driveshaft that clamps to the input shaft on the hydro (scored off of Ebay). :)
Got a seller name or auction link?

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Well I cut the grass than gave the 318 a bath. It is no garage queen but I guess it deserves a bath every year or so. Plus it is its 30th birthday this year.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Continued rehab'ing the rims so I can get on with filling the extra set of wheels that came with the 430. Wrestled the turfs the rest of the way off the rims yesterday. I had broke the bead and cleaned out all the slime that was in them about a week ago. Got back to it and wire wheeled the rust blisters from the slime moisture (I guess) off the inside of the rim and cleaned up the hub area inside and outside. The lug holes on the one rim were in good shape, the other not so much. They are a little oblong and beveled out on the inside face of the rim. Any opinions on if they are OK or not as is?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
A little lunchtime fabrication at Cheapskates - R - Us....

The loader doesn't have a bucket level sight gauge on it and I didn't realize how much I had depended on it on the borrowed loader whenever i used it.

So lunchtime today I'm looking around the shop at what I had on hand....a few electrical conduit and cable clamps, some scrap 3/4" copper pipe and quite a few old golf shafts...... hmmmmmmm.

A 1/2 hour of hillbilly engineering later and this is the prototype. Works pretty well in the 5 minutes of garage time operation.

Need to tighten down the clamp around the sleeve, put a cotter pin through the lower bracket & shaft to hold it securely and then trim the rod to length at the top. Paint it JD green and call it done!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Final Assembly (I hope) on the painted bucket level rod & sleeve.

Total $ spent..... $6 for the spray paint from TSC. My kind of high dollar project!

If I hadn't used up the yellow spray paint on the rims I was going to paint the level marker at the top of the rod but instead I will use yellow electrical tape when I find where I stashed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Also got the rims painted up. I hope I don't ding them too badly getting the tires remounted. I can see the front wheel's are going to need to be cleaned and maybe painted just so they don't clash with the rear's! :hide:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Touch Up Time....needed to fix the dings from putting the tires back on the rims....

I'll let them cure for a couple days before filling the tubes and swapping the ags for the loaded turfs on the tractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Spent the morning filling the tubes / tires. Got about 8 gallons in each. The one weighs 113 and the other 116 according to the bathroom scale so they are pretty close. I used a sump pump and hose connected to this adapter I picked up at tractor supply. Worked real well. Pump about 2 gallons, then close the in line valve, turn off the pump and bleed the air until done.

Now to get them mounted on the tractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sorry if I missed this , but what are you filling the tires with , antifreeze or that beet juice stuff ?
Antifreeze...mixed with water in a ratio that is supposed to be good to -10. The antifreeze was on a back shelf of my Dads garage, at least 25 years old, still had the foil in place under the cap.

I realized as I was carrying the scale out after filling that I was a dummy and didn't weigh the wheels before loading them up to see what i added in weight.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts