Green Tractor Talk banner

2141 - 2160 of 2165 Posts

·
Administrator
18,313 Posts
Kenny, how do you like your Artillian Grapple and how do you like only having the one sectional grapple?
It works great for my needs Rob. Now that I have the 3-series I could use another grapple section-but I didn't want the extra weight on my older 4110.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,142
Kenny, I bought the same from Chris when he was still running the business and healthy at that time. I have not gotten to working on the hydraulics yet and am planning on doing it this year. My youngest son will help me. I was just wondering if you believe you see benefits of having two sectional grapples instead of one? By the way my whole grapple is in JD Greene. Probably the only one that Chris ever did like that!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I pulled four or five trees/stumps from the surprisingly still soft dirt, despite the recent heat. I used a newer chain, not the recently repaired one, which has been relegated to light duty. My BIL Capt. Obvious was my chain man. I had to ask him to speak up and give more clear instructions, as all I was seeing was arm/hand waving. The usable wood will be seasoned and burned in his stove, so it wasn't a huge ask, but I suspect he didn't like it

I then refueled and mowed the lower field, which I neglected to do last week. a good few hours of seat time on a pleasant day,

Brian

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts
how do you like your Artillian Grapple and how do you like only having the one sectional grapple?
I was just wondering if you believe you see benefits of having two sectional grapples instead of one?
Like Kenny, I only use one grapple section and two beds that was purchased for use on a previous tractor. I've put a lot of hours on that grapple with my 3039R and I've never considered needing or wanting another grapple section.

Give yours a try and see how it works. One of the great things about the modular Artillian system is the versatility.

By the way my whole grapple is in JD Greene. Probably the only one that Chris ever did like that!
That is cool!

However it is gonna be hard to match that if you add another grapple section....

·
Administrator
18,313 Posts
There is endless debate over which style grapple is best two lids or one, root or rake stye, etc, One thing we all can agree on is that any grapple is better than no grapple!

I remember Chris doing your green one (y)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,146
Like Kenny, I only use one grapple section and two beds that was purchased for use on a previous tractor. I've put a lot of hours on that grapple with my 3039R and I've never considered needing or wanting another grapple section. Give yours a try and see how it works. One of the great things about the modular Artillian system is the versatility.
I agree I need to give it a try. I purchased it believing in it. I still need to get my hydraulics configured. I will get there hopefully this summer. I have said that for many years now. Time is an issue when you run a small organization that is a subsidiary of a larger company and your market is North America. I did not even have any vacation last year!

You had responded to me before with the same question that I asked. I thought that I would ask Kenny as well to see what he thought. It is good to ask users like yourselves and it is helpful to hear your comments.

it is gonna be hard to match that if you add another grapple section....
Yes it surely will be. The nice thing with Chris is that he could do custom stuff like that. I am guessing that Curtis Cabs will not cater to a user like me in this way. With Chris I could work out things like picking it up at his place to avoid shipping when I was up in MA for business and MA even had a sales tax free day so when I bought the grapple it was one of those days. So it saved me on shipping and sales tax! And I was able to get it in green paint! I believe that one grapple will be enough as well but again I was looking for comments where you guys might give me situations that you had encountered which you would say this is where having only one grapple is a pain and I wished I had two instead.

Thanks for all the input. I just have to get the hydraulics done. I went back to my original posts back in 2013 with Kenny and I had it all worked out. I also want to work on a hydraulic thumb for the 8B as well and that is all in the scheme of the hydraulics. Once that is done I will be using the grapple a lot. The forks are still so handy.

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts
You had responded to me before with the same question that I asked. I thought that I would ask Kenny as well to see what he thought. It is good to ask users like yourselves and it is helpful to hear your comments.

I thought the conversation sounded familiar.

I understand the work thing, but remember all work and no play makes for a long day. I hope you get the hydraulics working and get to put the grapple to wor..... um, I mean play.

Reactions: robpm and PJR832

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,148
nice job on the welds and the powder coat! Are you starting to fab things for people now or do you just do custom on occasion for people you have a close relationship with? I have been talking ot a fabricator here in NJ about doing a hydraulic thumb for me.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Administrator
18,313 Posts
nice job on the welds and the powder coat! Are you starting to fab things for people now or do you just do custom on occasion for people you have a close relationship with? I have been talking ot a fabricator here in NJ about doing a hydraulic thumb for me.
Just did this for a friend/neighbor, no money changed hands-just a few beers.

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts
Cleaning the pond banks......

Backhoes and dyslexia - 24 combinations of 'Your OTHER Left'.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Put 125 bales in the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
the 4500 proved its guts today....was moving a 2ton disc to the shop for some repairs...completed the repairs and moved it to a small field we had sprayed roundup on and was ready to disc up....i used the 4500 (40hp) to do the move...granted this is a 16' ...4k+ ...4 wheel old heavy international disc (22" cutting discs)...with 4' wings....i had the wings up which is normal for a first pass on the field to dig in heavy and break things up good.......so ....just for curiositys sake....i decided to drop it in the field and just see how the 4500 would do....i choose B1 gear....4wd.....its a power reverser......(filled tires only extra weight)

well it dug in ....grunted...and off we went.....cutting at least 6-8" deep in moist soil pulling a disc that weighed about the same if not more than the tractor.......i was impressed ...pics to prove....will hook to a larger machine tomorrow ....but thought it was intresting figured it would not do the job...i was wrong :)

20200622_205843 (Large).jpg
20200622_210252 (Large).jpg
20200622_205815 (Large).jpg

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
You would not be able to do that without ag tires

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
159 Posts
Finally got to install and use the 375a for a bit yesterday. I spent about 2 hours digging up small tree stumps, 4-5” diameter or less. It worked pretty well. The controls take some getting used, otherwise it’s very easy to be jerky with it, especially on raising the dipperstick, that one is brutal. Two things I’d like to see JD or the aftermarket come out with: 1, a quick attach bucket adapter. I have another 9” bucket but as long as the 18” I’m using right now keeps working than I may not install it unless I’m trenching. 2, a hydraulic thumb. I ordered the manual thumb last night so I at least have something, but one that can be operated without having to get off the tractor would be great.

Rick 254D562F-2036-4685-BA64-4DD72839647D.jpeg

2141 - 2160 of 2165 Posts