Green Tractor Talk banner

13421 - 13435 of 13435 Posts

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Dan the way I heard the saying was "THE SECOND THING TO GO IS THE MEMORY " but I'll be darned if I can remember what was first to go
One thing that used to fade away for some has been revolutionized by the "Little Blue Pill".

It's not a mid life crisis unless someone my age plans on living to 116.........:laugh::lol:

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Patience is the trick!
Welcome to the GTT website.

Also, congratulations on your photo posting achievement.:good2:

Can you post some photos of the plow attachment to the tractor? I am curious how you are mounting the plow on the 1025r as it appears to not be with the front Quick Hitch assembly for the 1025R. I see a lift cylinder in the picture for a mount for another Deere product, (I think perhaps from the 3xx series from years ago?). I am wondering about the lift and angle of the blade shown.

Also, are you planning on using the entire width of the edge as it is shown mounted?

Just, FYI, There are a couple of ways to post photos. The way I use most often is to;

1. use the "Manage Attachments" button in the reply page, about half a page below where you write your reply. Once you click on the "Manage Attachments" button, a new window will open which will allow you to browse your saved files and select the files you wish to add.

2. Make sure after you select the file location, you click on "Upload Images" or whatever it says in the lower right of the screen where you browse for the files.

3. Once you have uploaded your images, you will notice the file disappears from the tab where you had opened it, which at that point, you close the window with the button on the upper right and return to the general reply / posting area.

4. I usually preview the image to make sure the file is added correctly and then once satisfied, click "Submit Reply" (or whatever it says) on the lower right and you are rocking and rolling. By the way, this is based upon loading photos on a PC. As far as on a portable device, I have no idea as I don't use one for GTT.....

Again. Welcome to GTT and Congratulations on your 2019 1025r.....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sulleybear,

I've been repairing my driveway and the road that leads to our house. I find using cold patch or millings, then using a propane torch, like for burning weeds I heat it up real well and tamp it or drive over it with my turf tires to pack it in well.

The judge with the Pizza oven is one of the driveways I plow. His driveway developed two very abrupt potholes which made hitting them with my wheels when plowing almost "violent" they were so deep, yet not large in diameter. It took two bags of cold patch to repair these two holes, the largest which is maybe 18" in diameter, but they were deep.

Check out the damage to his driveway where it is sinking. I parked the tractor in the depressed area to demonstrate how severe it is. Not sure whats causing this, I wonder if it a ground water conical depression as the shape of the entire area which is collapsing is round. Just the one edge of the circle catches about 1/3rd of this driveway. Imagine hitting that with the plow at plowing speed and the sudden drop off and back up.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Two days ago I made it down to Heavy Hitch and picked up a quick attach front weight bracket, 3 point dual weight bracket with the hitch and suitcase weight cart, along with some 70lb and 41lb weights. As a bonus, the weights came in handy in my pickup truck because the roads were incredibly icy. The heavy hitch stuff is not cheap, but it appears to be incredibly well made. Yesterday I hooked up the 3 point bracket to my imatch and started out with 4 41lb weights to see how it worked with my 54” blower. I spent the next 3.5 hours blowing out the driveways of 2 of my relatives and our entire “family camp.” The family camp includes one driveway that is so steep that 2wd vehicles won’t make it up the slope during the winter. I figured that I would blow it out going downslope, but I gave it a try first going upslope to see how my turf tires worked without chains. There was over a foot of snow on the ground and the top of the slope had added packed snow from the county plow that had cleared the county road. To my amazement the little tractor chugged right up the slope without a problem. Did I mention that my location (Badoura Township) was the coldest spot in the entire country yesterday at -30 degrees Fahrenheit? The coolant temp gauge barely moved off of the lowest peg, but the cab was warm. I believe that the next time I run the machine in those temps I will place an obstructor in front of the radiator to see if the coolant temps come up a little. Yesterday was the reason why I went with the Mauser cab and so far I am pleased with the choice.
20191211-085518.jpg
20191211-123653.jpg

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yesterday I added a Silicone Elbo to Exhaust and put it back in the Garage. Today I am debating if I will use it to go out the the Mail Box or wait for the Wife to come home and pick the Mail up Monday when she comes back home from the Son's House. Other than the News Paper, there is nothing I am waiting for so I am debating.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Two days ago I made it down to Heavy Hitch and picked up a quick attach front weight bracket, 3 point dual weight bracket with the hitch and suitcase weight cart, along with some 70lb and 41lb weights. As a bonus, the weights came in handy in my pickup truck because the roads were incredibly icy.

The heavy hitch stuff is not cheap, but it appears to be incredibly well made. Yesterday I hooked up the 3 point bracket to my I-match and started out with (4) 41lb weights to see how it worked with my 54” blower. I spent the next 3.5 hours blowing out the driveways of 2 of my relatives and our entire “family camp.” The family camp includes one driveway that is so steep that 2wd vehicles won’t make it up the slope during the winter.

I figured that I would blow it out going down slope, but I gave it a try first going up slope to see how my turf tires worked without chains. There was over a foot of snow on the ground and the top of the slope had added packed snow from the county plow that had cleared the county road. To my amazement the little tractor chugged right up the slope without a problem.

Did I mention that my location (Badoura Township) was the coldest spot in the entire country yesterday at -30 degrees Fahrenheit? The coolant temp gauge barely moved off of the lowest peg, but the cab was warm. I believe that the next time I run the machine in those temps I will place an obstruction in front of the radiator to see if the coolant temps come up a little.

Yesterday;s weather conditions were the reason why I went with the Mauser cab and so far I am pleased with the choice.
View attachment 717876
View attachment 717878
You won't regret the cab purchase, I know I haven't. When you place the obstruction in front of the radiator, try using the cardboard from a 12 pack or case of pop or beer cans. The material is the right thickness, its coated with something to make it resistant to moisture and it fits over the front of the radiator screen and still slides into the bracket on the tractor in front of the radiator, so it is nice and snug and blocks the air flow very effectively. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge and remove it when the temps outside warm up and the engine temps start to show 1pm or higher on the gauge (relative to telling time......).

Welcome to the "Cab Club" and I am convinced once a member, very, very few would ever want to leave the club and go back to the "Open air" club again. Yes, the cabs cost a few shekels, but they are well worth it for comfort and safety, making clearing snow something to look forward to, instead of something one dreads having to do.

I often clear snow in 2wd with the rear weight on the machine. You will also find the warmer the air temps, the slicker the snow and the more rear weight required. That is why the Heavy Hitch system is SO GOOD, as you can adjust the needed weight to meet the changing needs very easily.

Thank you for supporting Heavy Hitch, which provides outstanding American made products produced right there on the northern reaches of the mighty Mississippi River. You will never regret having bought quality and the original REAL weight bracket, designed by and made by Americans with American produced steel and paid for with American dollars.......and paying wages to American workers who pay taxes to the American government.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
It's BAAAAACK.......Yes, the Pizza Oven.....the saga returned today, completely unplanned on my part.

For those who had wondered about the status of the Pizza oven, well, it re-entered my life again late today, early tonight.

I have to admit, I was very comfortably lying on my bed, in an sitting up sort of position, surfing Ken's Bolt on Hooks and planning my next purchases. I had the TV on a "Shipping Wars" marathon, amazed at how stupid some people are and I was sort of dozing off, drifting into the world of semi consciousness and semi awake, when the sudden rude ring of my cell phone splintered my very peaceful state.

I looked at the cell phone and the judge's name popped up on the phone. Reacting out of habit, more so than a planned response, I answered the phone. "SB", he began...."I was wondering if you had a few minutes to help me as I am trying to ,,,,,,,,,...................................." and before I knew it, I had "Ok, I will be over in a few minutes"......

I did ask if he had the tools necessary to properly facilitate the oven's placement and installation, when he assured me that he did, so I knew I would be making at least a few trips back to my house.....I put my laptop computer down on the nightstand and slipped on my work boots and glanced out the window, as it was just getting dark. Imagine my chagrin when I noticed it had started to rain.........figures.

Knowing there would likely be at least a few trips back and forth to my garage, I took my SUV. I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket and threw a couple of heavy pry bars, a long punch which is about 12" long and my 20v DeWalt drill, drill bits and knowing he was using 3/8" bolts to secure the bracket to the oven, I grabbed 9/16", 5/8" and 11/16th" sockets, my 20V DeWalt Impact and the impact bits and box end wrenches to match.

I drove over and immediately, my mood brightened because I noticed Mrs. Juris Prudence was outside by the driveway and the side entrance to the house. Not only is she very pleasant, she also had the new family puppy with her out on a leash, which I didn't know they had gotten. A real sweetheart and gorgeous, the puppy is super cute also.............

She welcomed me and said "I told him to call you. He has been struggling with this all day and I kept telling him to just call you. I finally told him if he didn't call you, I was going to call you myself."

The puppy is a 7 week 6 day old "Golden Doodle" named "Nala", named apparently after a character in the Lion King. She will be 8 weeks old tomorrow. I picked her up and threatened to take her home myself as she is just adorable and a sweet heart. (I should specify I am referring to Nala, the Golden Doodle Puppy, just to be clear.....)

I walk around the back of the house and the Judge has rented a skid steer which has rubber tracks. So, he did listen to what I told him about traction and the placement of the oven in his back yard., etc. I can see where he has driven it like a bulldozer rather than a zero turn, by making directional changes while stopped, which is very "turfing" on the lawn. But, that just gives him another project to work on once the placement of the oven is finished.

First thing I noticed was he had the bolts and hardware in the dirt and they had been stepped on and looks like run over with the skid steer. I asked what problems he was having and she replied he could get the oven brackets lined up with the base which was sitting on 4 surface placed concrete blocks.

I grabbed my LED flashlight and looked at the holes and Mrs. Juris Prudence immediately said "A flashlight to be able to see what you are trying to do, that seems like a great idea." Apparently, he was trying to line up the holes and the bracket without the benefit of additional site specific illumination. That must have been fun.

I looked into the hole (in the mounting bracket on the frame) and found the holes in the base of the oven and the frame were off by at least 3/8". I was able to direct him to lift the oven with the skid steer, which took increasing the engine RPMs to achieve the additional lift. According to the website, the tipping capacity of the machine is 4,715 lbs and the machine weighs 8,000 pounds. The equipment handled the oven as it should as a machine with nearly 70 HP and weighing over 4 tons.

Somehow, in the process of placing the oven on the frame stand and then pushing the oven back and forth instead of lifting it up off the frame each time in an attempt to align the mounting holes, he had torqued the frame so the bolt holes didn't align any more with the drilled holes in the frame and the attached mounting rails to the base of the oven. No surprise, other than I was surprised how much the base had "tweaked" by the way it was handled, likely in the disassembly and then these attempts to force the bolts through holes which weren't even close.

I had him lift the oven several times and attempted to use my long punch to align the holes, but no dice, the holes and the frame were now "racked" from the attempts to mount the oven to the base.

Concerned he might have broken the welds on the base, I had him lift the entire oven off the frame so I could inspect the base to make sure there were no broken welds or that the frame wasn't weakened in the process of re-installing it. It didn't appear to have any broken welds and the frame was still very solid, just no longer square due to the way it has been dealt with.

I showed him the issue and he asked if we could just "pound the bolts through" with a big enough hammer. My personal experience of beating 3/8" diameter stainless bolts through mild steel square tubing hasn't been successful, so I told him we should just drill new holes through the frame to align the bolts and get this done.

Turns out the square tubing frame requires a very long bit to reach through from the one side to the other and run the bolts through the mounting frame on the oven as well as the square tubing mounting points under the oven. I went home and found the right drill bit and returned started hitting the holes.

I had him get in the loader and lift the weight off the frame. I made sure it was level and then centered everything where it should be. I then drilled the holes for the bolts. As I am digging the bolts out of the mud, I realized he had bought galvanized bolts, instead of stainless bolts. I asked why he was replacing the bolts, as they really don't hold a load as the weight of the oven sits on the frame and the frame on the ground is sandwiched between the frame rails of the base frame. Once the oven is sitting on the base, the bolts really aren't under a stress load.

To demonstrate this to him, I drilled the holes and put the old stainless bolts through the frames and then had him back the loader away and demonstrated how you can pull the bolts out of the holes from one frame and the next. I had brought NY-lock nuts from home when I had to run home and get the step drill bit to drill the frame under the oven.

I talked him into using the "old bolts" as I preferred stainless over galvanized and thankfully I had brought the tools to tighten the bolts as he was going to hold the nut with vice grips and tighten it with the Ryobi small drill or whatever it was he was using.. I got it done.

Bottom line, I got the frame on it and tightened. I wasn't happy with the way the "foundation" was constructed for the oven frame as I didn't feel the placement of 4 landscape stepping stones was adequate for the weight of the unit and frame. I am not a fan of holding nuts with vice grips to tighten them. In the end, the oven is on the frame, I am out of the rain and hopefully, the base supports the weight of this behemoth, which appears to weigh 2,670 pounds, as I suspected.

Here are a couple of photos of the oven, in the rain, in the dark, so its not the greatest pictures. But its done. I brought Mrs. Bear back with me on one of my returns back to the house to get tools so she could see the new Puppy and bring Nala some new toys. They are first time dog owners having never had a dog or pet before either when they were growing up or for their family.
pizza1.jpg
pizza2.jpg
pizza1.jpg

Mrs. Bear gave them the best advice and encouraged them to call with any questions. It was funny because when we walked in, there was this full sized dog dish and it was full of Purina Large Breed Dog food. They said they bought that because the person at the store said Nala was going to be a "Large Breed Dog". I replied, "But right now, she is a PUPPY and should be eating Puppy dry food and not 5 pounds in the dish at a time......" Its much easier to house train the puppy when you control their food intake. Plus, a puppy shouldn't eat dog food, she is just a little thing.

I didn't get any pictures of the beautiful lady, nor of the puppy either. Perhaps another time......For sure another time...... (y) 👌

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hey SB, we love the post except no one really wanted to see the pizza oven once you told us about the new puppy Nala and her owner... Just saying! 😂😂🐕

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's BAAAAACK.......Yes, the Pizza Oven.....the saga returned today, completely unplanned on my part.

For those who had wondered about the status of the Pizza oven, well, it re-entered my life again late today, early tonight.

I have to admit, I was very comfortably lying on my bed, in an sitting up sort of position, surfing Ken's Bolt on Hooks and planning my next purchases. I had the TV on a "Shipping Wars" marathon, amazed at how stupid some people are and I was sort of dozing off, drifting into the world of semi consciousness and semi awake, when the sudden rude ring of my cell phone splintered my very peaceful state.

I looked at the cell phone and the judge's name popped up on the phone. Reacting out of habit, more so than a planned response, I answered the phone. "SB", he began...."I was wondering if you had a few minutes to help me as I am trying to ,,,,,,,,,...................................." and before I knew it, I had "Ok, I will be over in a few minutes"......

I did ask if he had the tools necessary to properly facilitate the oven's placement and installation, when he assured me that he did, so I knew I would be making at least a few trips back to my house.....I put my laptop computer down on the nightstand and slipped on my work boots and glanced out the window, as it was just getting dark. Imagine my chagrin when I noticed it had started to rain.........figures.

Knowing there would likely be at least a few trips back and forth to my garage, I took my SUV. I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket and threw a couple of heavy pry bars, a long punch which is about 12" long and my 20v DeWalt drill, drill bits and knowing he was using 3/8" bolts to secure the bracket to the oven, I grabbed 9/16", 5/8" and 11/16th" sockets, my 20V DeWalt Impact and the impact bits and box end wrenches to match.

I drove over and immediately, my mood brightened because I noticed Mrs. Juris Prudence was outside by the driveway and the side entrance to the house. Not only is she very pleasant, she also had the new family puppy with her out on a leash, which I didn't know they had gotten. A real sweetheart and gorgeous, the puppy is super cute also.............

She welcomed me and said "I told him to call you. He has been struggling with this all day and I kept telling him to just call you. I finally told him if he didn't call you, I was going to call you myself."

The puppy is a 7 week 6 day old "Golden Doodle" named "Nala", named apparently after a character in the Lion King. She will be 8 weeks old tomorrow. I picked her up and threatened to take her home myself as she is just adorable and a sweet heart. (I should specify I am referring to Nala, the Golden Doodle Puppy, just to be clear.....)

I walk around the back of the house and the Judge has rented a skid steer which has rubber tracks. So, he did listen to what I told him about traction and the placement of the oven in his back yard., etc. I can see where he has driven it like a bulldozer rather than a zero turn, by making directional changes while stopped, which is very "turfing" on the lawn. But, that just gives him another project to work on once the placement of the oven is finished.

First thing I noticed was he had the bolts and hardware in the dirt and they had been stepped on and looks like run over with the skid steer. I asked what problems he was having and she replied he could get the oven brackets lined up with the base which was sitting on 4 surface placed concrete blocks.

I grabbed my LED flashlight and looked at the holes and Mrs. Juris Prudence immediately said "A flashlight to be able to see what you are trying to do, that seems like a great idea." Apparently, he was trying to line up the holes and the bracket without the benefit of additional site specific illumination. That must have been fun.

I looked into the hole (in the mounting bracket on the frame) and found the holes in the base of the oven and the frame were off by at least 3/8". I was able to direct him to lift the oven with the skid steer, which took increasing the engine RPMs to achieve the additional lift. According to the website, the tipping capacity of the machine is 4,715 lbs and the machine weighs 8,000 pounds. The equipment handled the oven as it should as a machine with nearly 70 HP and weighing over 4 tons.

Somehow, in the process of placing the oven on the frame stand and then pushing the oven back and forth instead of lifting it up off the frame each time in an attempt to align the mounting holes, he had torqued the frame so the bolt holes didn't align any more with the drilled holes in the frame and the attached mounting rails to the base of the oven. No surprise, other than I was surprised how much the base had "tweaked" by the way it was handled, likely in the disassembly and then these attempts to force the bolts through holes which weren't even close.

I had him lift the oven several times and attempted to use my long punch to align the holes, but no dice, the holes and the frame were now "racked" from the attempts to mount the oven to the base.

Concerned he might have broken the welds on the base, I had him lift the entire oven off the frame so I could inspect the base to make sure there were no broken welds or that the frame wasn't weakened in the process of re-installing it. It didn't appear to have any broken welds and the frame was still very solid, just no longer square due to the way it has been dealt with.

I showed him the issue and he asked if we could just "pound the bolts through" with a big enough hammer. My personal experience of beating 3/8" diameter stainless bolts through mild steel square tubing hasn't been successful, so I told him we should just drill new holes through the frame to align the bolts and get this done.

Turns out the square tubing frame requires a very long bit to reach through from the one side to the other and run the bolts through the mounting frame on the oven as well as the square tubing mounting points under the oven. I went home and found the right drill bit and returned started hitting the holes.

I had him get in the loader and lift the weight off the frame. I made sure it was level and then centered everything where it should be. I then drilled the holes for the bolts. As I am digging the bolts out of the mud, I realized he had bought galvanized bolts, instead of stainless bolts. I asked why he was replacing the bolts, as they really don't hold a load as the weight of the oven sits on the frame and the frame on the ground is sandwiched between the frame rails of the base frame. Once the oven is sitting on the base, the bolts really aren't under a stress load.

To demonstrate this to him, I drilled the holes and put the old stainless bolts through the frames and then had him back the loader away and demonstrated how you can pull the bolts out of the holes from one frame and the next. I had brought NY-lock nuts from home when I had to run home and get the step drill bit to drill the frame under the oven.

I talked him into using the "old bolts" as I preferred stainless over galvanized and thankfully I had brought the tools to tighten the bolts as he was going to hold the nut with vice grips and tighten it with the Ryobi small drill or whatever it was he was using.. I got it done.

Bottom line, I got the frame on it and tightened. I wasn't happy with the way the "foundation" was constructed for the oven frame as I didn't feel the placement of 4 landscape stepping stones was adequate for the weight of the unit and frame. I am not a fan of holding nuts with vice grips to tighten them. In the end, the oven is on the frame, I am out of the rain and hopefully, the base supports the weight of this behemoth, which appears to weigh 2,670 pounds, as I suspected.

Here are a couple of photos of the oven, in the rain, in the dark, so its not the greatest pictures. But its done. I brought Mrs. Bear back with me on one of my returns back to the house to get tools so she could see the new Puppy and bring Nala some new toys. They are first time dog owners having never had a dog or pet before either when they were growing up or for their family.
View attachment 721079 View attachment 721080 View attachment 721079
Mrs. Bear gave them the best advice and encouraged them to call with any questions. It was funny because when we walked in, there was this full sized dog dish and it was full of Purina Large Breed Dog food. They said they bought that because the person at the store said Nala was going to be a "Large Breed Dog". I replied, "But right now, she is a PUPPY and should be eating Puppy dry food and not 5 pounds in the dish at a time......" Its much easier to house train the puppy when you control their food intake. Plus, a puppy shouldn't eat dog food, she is just a little thing.

I didn't get any pictures of the beautiful lady, nor of the puppy either. Perhaps another time......For sure another time...... (y) 👌
I’ll wager after the newness wears off, your neighbor will just have a very large back yard ornament to mow around ... Any takers?
Neat story by the way ... How about a picture of the judges wife? ... er, I mean puppy ...

13421 - 13435 of 13435 Posts