Green Tractor Talk banner

13621 - 13633 of 13633 Posts

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I was first introduced to what Tug Hill has to offer many years ago - what they went through in 1939. They showed this video to us when I first started at PennDot for some reason - I still like to watch it once in a while.

coaltrain-i too have enjoyed watching them old snow plowing videos. at least they had cabs back then. my dad plowed for our township with hsi jd 430 dozer back when i was a kid. no cab-no carharts back then either. one winter i fussed in the basement to let me run the dozer, so my dad did-1 mile to our little town, when i went to get off of it, at the little store my coveralls was froze stiff. my dad had to help me off. i warmed up in the store for a bit-then he told me to get back on it to take it back to the house. i still loved the plowing -oh

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was first introduced to what Tug Hill has to offer many years ago - what they went through in 1939. They showed this video to us when I first started at PennDot for some reason - I still like to watch it once in a while.

Yeah, the road is clear, but ain't nobody getting out of their driveway to the road, without a whole lot of digging where the plow heaped it all up there.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts

I asked my grandmother if they plowed the roads when she was a girl around 1910, she said that mostly they used rollers to compress it rather than try to plow. Most people used sleighs back then, and as I said took the serpentine path around the drifts. In fact, my sister was born up there (not planned, but my mom was visiting and got snowed in) and got a trip to the hospital in a sleigh. That was only 50 years ago.

Great video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,237 Posts
Thanks for posting that video, Stan!! I sent it to our road guy at the Township. I think he'll get a kick out of it.
I think that’s why they showed it to us when starting PennDOT - to show us how good we have it these days with our trucks and all the technology.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
One of the driveways I plow, at the end of the driveway adjacent to the rear of the house, where the snow is pushed / piled, is a 9 foot straight drop down to the rear yard. The owner built a large retaining wall to support the end of the driveway and also the stone stairs which go from the lawn up to the driveway. You can see the lower half of the stairs, covered in snow.

The edge of the driveway has one row of landscape blocks to "stop" someone from plunging over the edge, in reality, its not a stop, just a landmark of where you want to stop. If you hit the block row hard enough, it just pushes it over the edge. The guy who used to plow this driveway proved that with his "technique".........twice in his last plowing efforts before I was asked to take over plowing.......

Even with the Quick Hitch, The plow lifts the snow over the stone ledge (barely) and over it goes. Obviously, you want to be very aware of where you are on this driveway as the drop is also down the right side of the driveway (to my right), although it does level out with the driveway after about 90 feet towards the road. This back corner of the driveway is also without a drain so the water tends to pool here and then freeze, so as you are approaching the edge, the last 8 to 10 feet of the driveway are often ice, as they have been since last Friday. I was down there salting again today after plowing, to help avoid someone going over the edge.

By the way, the top of the swing crossbar is just about level with the driveway, so that helps to illustrate the difference in grade a little more clearly. Once the snow is gone, I will have to take a picture of the retaining walls in this guys rear yard as seriously, they must have required 7,500 of these landscape blocks, if not more.

This is where you back into when leaving the garage, which is to my left in the photo.

In the photo, I am standing at the edge just in front of the plow,
dropoff.jpg
looking down. It doesn't look as far as it is, as there is about a 5 foot pile of snow from all the snow I have pushed over the wall. You want to make sure to be aware of where you are when plowing this driveway as a tumble off the end of the wall would likely not end well for the equipment or operator.

There are a total of 12 steps from the rear yard up to the driveway, and no, I don't shovel the steps..........The flower pot is sitting on a "landing" as the direction of the stairs change at that point and come straight up to the driveway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
He’s what happened at a small retaining wall dividing 3 and 4 houses up the street.

Must have failed parking in drivers ED.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Nothing big, swapping cans. Drop off garbage and picking up empty recycling to take back to the house. They couldn’t make them pickup the same day. It’s 1/2 mile round trip, I walked up with the pup and got the mail, dropped him at the house and drove back up to swap cans.

And yes I love my Hitch-N-Can.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Got my magnetic LED lights for the ROPS. They are cigarette lighter plug type. I got two with a splitter so I can plug them both in if needed. I don't antidcipate needing them a lot, hence the magnetic and lighter plug. Cheap and easy, but effective. No obligatory pictures...

13621 - 13633 of 13633 Posts