Green Tractor Talk banner

13921 - 13940 of 13996 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Continued with brush clearance and hauling away on the pallet forks. Have to admit that I stack the branches and such in a pile to make them easier to pick up, but I have also been known to climb down off of the tractor and put some recalcitrant stuff back up on top of the pile on the forks before moving them.

Got tired of that and decided to remove the mower deck for blade sharpening and cleaning. Deck would not automatically drop off the tractor. It was stuck at the coupling. I gave it a stern talking to (using a hammer as a teaching aid) and it finally cooperated. Sharpened, power washed, placed on the floor of the garage where it will remain until I start mowing in a couple of weeks. Should have removed it sooner but I guess it has learned its lesson.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Working on improving the drive now that it looks like I won’t have to plow snow again this year
Had 22 tons of rock dust/screenings dropped off a week ago t pad an L
p gas line. I used 1.5 yards to pad the pipe so I still have a big pile. (that was my plan). I am experimenting on How to mix with 2B (grade 57) crushed stone on the driveway. Seems after several tries it is best to lay a bed of stone dust and then drop the gravel on top and mix with the Land Plane. I am trying it out to see how it packs down on this corner in the drive before I do allot.

the Stone dust is black when damp and then changes to the same color as the gravel as it dries.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
When we mix materials we use the rippers on the dozer.

Got some more seat time today! Got home at a decent time and the weather has been awesome all week, I jumped on my little tractor that could and started clearing my west side of the property with the brush forks. Got a couple hrs in and starting a nice bonfire. Weatger is supposed to carry through the weekend so I plan on getting plenty of seat time.

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts
I drove mine maybe 40' total today, but I did manage to change the engine oil today.

Cleaned the mower deck , but left the chains and front quick hitch still on tractor.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I’ll tell you what. Remember that thread I started last year about my rear of the pump whining noise I kept hearing and I freaked out about it getting the service tech to come visit and saying run it till it grenades it’s under warranty? Ran it pretty hard today and no whine. Still. This is after putting 10 hrs on it since doing a complete hydro service over the winter.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
After filling in the electrical ditch to to generator I lifted the AC units, used a bar to lift the pads they are on and leveled them. The big one was down almost 4 inches in the rear and 2 inches left to right. When they serviced the AC they gave suggestions on things that should be done. One was level the units for an estimated $200. Took me 20 mins. It looks soo much better level. The second AC unit is just poking out behind the generator that was off 2 inches in the back and 1 inch across the front.

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts

Used the grapple to help cut up a few trees. Also was able to move some big stuff around including old pool sand filters.

Love this tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cannot like this post ,, I see NO BALLAST ... REALLY

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Battle stations!

Fire in the hole!
Got the bonfire going first thing. A lot of wet wood so had to give it more attention to get it going on it’s own

Got to gettin on the west side cleaning up a lot of downed wood and crap left around

Found some stuff from the old rail yard that used to be here

Tractor time with Fritz

Wore him out. Grandsons lanky azz helped for an hour then slinked off. More tomorrow

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Continued...
They won’t let me post more pics so here’s part of my inventory of wood. All the logs are maple I’m giving to a friend who burns for heat. The rest is junk I’m burning. I’ll be taking down 10 fold of this in dead trees this summer. It’s all maple

It may look all funky to you east coast dudes but that green is just moss. Common out west here. The woods good

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Continued...
They won’t let me post more pics so here’s part of my inventory of wood. All the logs are maple I’m giving to a friend who burns for heat. The rest is junk I’m burning. I’ll be taking down 10 fold of this in dead trees this summer. It’s all maple

It may look all funky to you east coast dudes but that green is just moss. Common out west here. The woods good
Lol, we have moss here too ya know.

Railyard? That's awesome! Find old time pics of your place when the trains were there?

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I’ll tell you what. Remember that thread I started last year about my rear of the pump whining noise I kept hearing and I freaked out about it getting the service tech to come visit and saying run it till it grenades it’s under warranty? Ran it pretty hard today and no whine. Still. This is after putting 10 hrs on it since doing a complete hydro service over the winter.
Not sure what it is with these little tractors, but I have had the same experience with both my SCUT's, with every hydro oil change they seem to get quieter and run smoother.... which is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Lol, we have moss here too ya know.

Railyard? That's awesome! Find old time pics of your place when the trains were there?
I was joking. I grew up in upstate NY
Unfortunately I’ve hit a lot of blanks in pictures the old train yard that was here but got people looking. It was basically a landing for a cable setup that came off the nearby hill dragging logs down and loading train cars. Guy on a neighboring property had old tracks and we have rusty old cables grown into the base of trees used as anchors. Found a lot of spikes and plates. Got a flat from one last year

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Found some stuff from the old rail yard that used to be here

View attachment 731163 View attachment 731166 View attachment 731167 View attachment 731168

Tractor time with Fritz

Wore him out. Grandsons lanky azz helped for an hour then slinked off. More tomorrow
I see some excellent rear ballast plates for bolting to the side of your carry all, maybe even as side inserts between the upper and lower railings on the carry all (welded in with some supports or made so it can be added and removed as desired??).

Plus that hunk of concrete might be handy to have around as ballast, also, although its likely not the easiest to handle.

Were the wheels and axle completely buried, or how were they when you found them? And how did you find them, just in the normal clearing process? What would you guess the wheels and axle weigh?

Excellent job on the hard work. These are the sorts of projects where these SCUTS are worth their weight in gold. Can you imagine doing what you have done without the tractor and using a wheelbarrow or whatever to attempt the same?

Fritz hangs with you and finishes the project, grandson goes MIA after an hour of work. Fritz deserves an extra treat or two for the dedication......

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thanks Sulley.
It was half buried and onscured by brush next to a tree. It only weighs maybe 150 pounds but it’s all rusty, and I might just keep it whole and look into what it’s off of. Its only maybe 3’ inside to inside and I keep thinking about those mine carts they used back in the 1800’s. There are old gold mines not far from here. People still pan the creeks and rivers. I have plenty of steel plates to add and take out ballast. Those chunks of concrete I found around 10 of them and imagine they supported a raised section somewhere. They are a little beat uo, but still solid, and could be used for a pole barn or some sort of foundation for something. Or they might get buried. Dunno. Fritz is a trooper. He actually packed some serious size sticks and was in his element. Absolute working dog, and gets excited everytime I fire up the tractor

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
At it again today. Cut out around lunchtime to rest up for the workweek but I got a ton of wood moved and plenty of seat time.

Brush forks are invaluable. after moving the big wood I use them as a rake to clean around the trees and pickup brush. These little tractors do great in all the tight spots but I might have to get those wheel spacers for more lateral stability. Otherwise this is a well built little loader. It takes all I put on it and likes it.

13921 - 13940 of 13996 Posts