Green Tractor Talk banner

13941 - 13960 of 13996 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Those are some big chunks of wood. How much ballast in your cool carry all?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The base looked heavy there is just no way to tell from a picture. I knew it had to be a good amount or the backend would be in the air. i haven’t welded in years, I think I should get back into it. You can make some cool things for tractor.

·
Registered
21,974 Posts
Thanks Sulley.
It was half buried and onscured by brush next to a tree. It only weighs maybe 150 pounds but it’s all rusty, and I might just keep it whole and look into what it’s off of. Its only maybe 3’ inside to inside and I keep thinking about those mine carts they used back in the 1800’s. There are old gold mines not far from here. People still pan the creeks and rivers. I have plenty of steel plates to add and take out ballast. Those chunks of concrete I found around 10 of them and imagine they supported a raised section somewhere. They are a little beat uo, but still solid, and could be used for a pole barn or some sort of foundation for something. Or they might get buried. Dunno. Fritz is a trooper. He actually packed some serious size sticks and was in his element. Absolute working dog, and gets excited everytime I fire up the tractor
I live in what was once know as ”The Big Woods” in NW Penna. Back in the 1800’s it was a huge logging area. At that time there were hundreds of thousands of acres of Hemlock. It was all mostly clear cut, brought down to the river, and floated down toward the Atlantic Ocean. From what I understand a lot of this wood was used for ship masts.

I live along one or these rivers and have a tram road that runs parallel to the river. From what I understand it was something like in the pic below.

I’ve found a couple things - a couple railroad spikes and a really neat set of log tongs that look hand made or hand cast?

Here is a small photo album of a walk on my tram road from a few years ago -

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Busy day for a change. Heres some pics from some much needed seat time on Betsy. Had time out to give my nephew a ride down to the end of the drive as he was going home. I started fixing the drive for now. We haven't ordered gravel yet because we have some stuff going on.

So I fixed the ruts in the drive and pulled most of the gravel back, cleaned up a bunch of tree limbs and a tree or 2 to the burn pile. Fluffed up the tracking pad and leveled itbup some.

G came home and told me I was done so I had to put Betsy away for now. To wet again to go do some more. See what tomorrow or Wednesday brings.
20200318_172716.jpg
20200318_173117.jpg
20200318_171549.jpg
20200318_171512.jpg
20200318_171512.jpg
20200318_160216.jpg
20200318_162255.jpg
20200318_162241.jpg
received_1098005900592507.jpeg
20200318_141936.jpg

He didnt make it far! Lol

Take care and stay safe!
WB🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
12,887 Posts
Nice work WB, I'm kind of jealous, haven't done much with mine other than feed the horses.

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
WOW .Jason looks like you have added to your driveway and really cleaned a big area out from your house. (y)

and looks like your nephew enjoy .

·
Registered
446 Posts
I keep my KA-BAR on my desk.

We have plenty of moss here in New England. What would life be without it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This past Saturday I took off the front mounted snow blower and reattached the front loader. Guess I should have checked the weather report better. It dumped about 5 inches of heavy snow last night. The boy and I put the edge tamer on the bucket and pushed off the driveway. He is getting pretty good at working the loader controls for a 3 year old. After the work was done it was all about sledding down the hull in the backyard. Normally I would have been at work this morning but they **** down to get some people in to do a deep cleaning since an employee tested positive for the CoV. Unless I hear otherwise I will be back to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I live in what was once know as ”The Big Woods” in NW Penna. Back in the 1800’s it was a huge logging area. At that time there were hundreds of thousands of acres of Hemlock. It was all mostly clear cut, brought down to the river, and floated down toward the Atlantic Ocean. From what I understand a lot of this wood was used for ship masts.

I live along one or these rivers and have a tram road that runs parallel to the river. From what I understand it was something like in the pic below.

I’ve found a couple things - a couple railroad spikes and a really neat set of log tongs that look hand made or hand cast?

View attachment 731370

Awesome coaltrain! I love that kind of history. Beautiful place you have.

·
Registered
58 Posts

View attachment 731370

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

JD 1023-E 2017 H-120 Loader, 54” AC MMD, Ballast Box, 47” JD Snowblower w/Quick Hitch & Remote Control Chute Flap, OT Cab w/Glass Windshield, Wiper, Heater, Armrest added, Front Led Lights, JD IMatch QH, Rear Hitch Receiver, Rear 3-pt Blade
Interest: Woodworking-Tractors-Chris-Craft Boats.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It may look all funky to you east coast dudes but that green is just moss. Common out west here. The woods good
Just to clarify...
This was nothing more than a light hearted joke to my brother who lives outside of Syracuse. He follows these forums but isn’t a member. He jokes about how much moss I have on my trees compared to his. We both grew up in the mid Hudson valley. I moved out here in 96 for work while he stayed on as a school teacher. We are still very close and pick on each other regularly. Sheesh. Tough crowd

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I got the tractor out and reworked the driveway this afternoon.

First time I've had the tractor started and ran since Dec.2019 when I pushed the one and only snow event that was deep enough.
I want to get the crabgrass preventer spread out and the mower deck put on, but we have had way too much rain and everything is just a soggy, spongy mess. Can't even walk across the yard without sinking in.

'

·
Registered
348 Posts

View attachment 731753

First time I've had the tractor started and ran since Dec.2019 when I pushed the one and only snow event that was deep enough.
I want to get the crabgrass preventer spread out and the mower deck put on, but we have had way too much rain and everything is just a soggy, spongy mess. Can't even walk across the yard without sinking in.

'
And I'm noticing round headlights in the garage... what might that be!?

·
Registered
21,974 Posts

View attachment 731753

'
Every time you post a pic of your lawn or driveway they are just beautiful! And to have a gravel driveway look so good. I guess part of me is envious of the flatness of it all.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
And I'm noticing round headlights in the garage... what might that be!?
If I think your are referring to what's left of my pickup truck, that would be my Kawasaki SxS.
Click here.

Every time you post a pic of your lawn or driveway they are just beautiful! And to have a gravel driveway look so good. I guess part of me is envious of the flatness of it all.
Thanks. I like to see pictures of the rolling hills and the mountains, too. It gives us all a chance to see where and how all of our friends live.

13941 - 13960 of 13996 Posts