Green Tractor Talk banner

14101 - 14105 of 14105 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Got my Deere self sharpening blades (See this thread) installed and got the first mowing in of the season. But first I had to adjust the bar on the front draft arms. After installing the front Quick Hitch last fall I had adjusted the hooks the arms slide into to stop them from rubbing on the steering linkage. That adjustment prevented the rear deck latches from latching until I moved the bar away from the deck. Of course, once I finally got it hooked up I remembered I forgot to take off the plug I had installed on the gear box to keep the oil from dripping out of the vent while sitting on the Deck Dolly. So, take the deck back off again, remove the plug and install the vent, remount the deck, then I finally got to mow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My spouse wants to try taters in buckets so I have a work area ready for her.
How are taters with water in buckets? Wife did tomato plants in buckets last year, I had to add drain holes in the buckets because it was holding too much water.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I tried the potatoes in tires once. Keep adding tires and dirt as the plant grows.
It was a good idea in concept, but we didn't get very many potatoes and the ones we got were small.
I think the tires being black sucked up too much heat for them to grow well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I tried the potatoes in tires once. Keep adding tires and dirt as the plant grows.
It was a good idea in concept, but we didn't get very many potatoes and the ones we got were small.
I think the tires being black sucked up too much heat for them to grow well.
Did that once, the tires being black is what makes the soil inside them warm from the solar heat. I think we got up to 5 stacked tires and got a crap-load of taters. But after cogitating on it, I figured that any petroleum products leeching out of the tires and into the soil probably wasn't too awfully healthy, so we never did them that way again.

Watched a video of somebody growing potatoes on the surface of dirt, buried in mulched hay that was laid down in the Fall a year previous and again in the Fall prior to the Spring planting, via the Ruth Stout Method. It was very cool, as there was no digging involved come harvest time, and no damaged taters from pitchfork tines from turning them up, just foraging with your hands. No tilling, no weeding, very little watering, ...basically a low effort way to grow a bunch of potatoes.

Gave up on potatoes, as I have to eat low carb diet these days to aid in keeping the blood sugar levels in check now.
:-/

14101 - 14105 of 14105 Posts