Green Tractor Talk banner

14581 - 14594 of 14594 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Chex313's Engine Hoist reminded me how I used my 1025r a few days ago.........

My neighbor asked me if I had any ideas for lifting up his tractor to make some service work a little easier......Of course we can find a way to lift that x73x up........

Important points for anyone considering this......

• Safety, first and foremost. Use jack stands under any machine lifted for repairs. Period.
  • Understand when you lift anything with such an arrangement, the item you are lifting is DRAWN TO YOU, so make sure to start lifting above the item to avoid unintended impact and damage.
  • Use the proper hardware to secure the straps together, I used a threaded anchor shackle so the straps were secure.
  • While I was originally going to use the KBOH's on my FEL bucket, removing the bucket for clearance and visibility was a much better way to go.
  • Slow and steady is the rule when lifting and lowering. Be aware that with the weight on the machine, its difficult to "slowly" lower the lifted item so take it easy.
  • When lifting a Hydrostatic driven machine, release the parking brake and also use the "machine transport" positon for the hydro release lever so the machine isn't being drug on the pavement against the systems hydraulics.
  • When I was first lifting the tractor on the front, It seemed a little heavy. Turned out the parking brake was set and the tractor not in "transport mode". I was dragging the entire tractor on cement with the rear tires locked. Once he released the brake and the transport lever, the lifting was far easier.
He wanted it lifted with the angle shown to make getting the oversized impact under the tractor easier. First lifted with the tilt to the left and then moved the strap and lifted with the angle to the right. Tractor did not "rock" at all, it was picked up intentionally off center. Never work under anything which is intentionally rocking as the straps could shift and ugliness would almost surely ensue.

He went after the first spindle bolt and hit it and hit it with the impact. Finally, I got his attention and made the "reverse the direction" signals out of the cab and asked "Did you reverse the direction of the gun?" Nope, turned out he was tightening the spindle bolts, as he went after each one. Hey, we have all made that mistake, right?

Then, the 18v DeWalt wouldn't back the bolts off, so I ended up going home and getting the right socket for the Impact AND I got my 3/4" drive long handled ratchet which provided the leverage to break the spindle bolts loose. This required blocking the spindle movement with blocks of 2x4 up under the deck to hold the blades when using the manual ratchet.

In the end, all done. We were standing there talking after the project and somehow the topic of "Linner" came up (late lunch, early dinner) and I mentioned I was thinking about getting some nacho's. He agreed that Nacho's sounded like a good idea and as they say, "That was that".........

Since I had the tractor and straps and all necessary stuff already out, I went home and lifted my ExMark and swapped the blades and scraped the deck with my favorite 5 gallon paint stir stick. I like to use the thick wooden and longer paint stir stick as it doesn't scrape the paint and its tough enough to get the job done. Probably, 15 to 20 minutes and I was all done and putting everything away................

As I am putting away all of my toys and hanging the straps back up, my neighbors wife pulled int he driveway and handed me a bag tied shut out of her SUV window.......Apparently, she had run down to the nearby restaurant and returned with a plate of nachos for Mrs. Bear and I.........Sure, they are a heart attack on a plate, but man they were GOOD!

View attachment 740199 View attachment 740201 View attachment 740202
But what a sweet heart attack it would be...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Installed and greased Brush Hog, Greased front end loader and tractor, Should be ready for the summer. Also installed the Up-Stop and drive shaft on the 47" snow blower, I had installed the new chain box to replace the old open chain and sprockets a month or so ago.

·
Registered
735 Posts
DanW, how long will your loader hold it's position like that for you to use it as a work platform? I have tried using my forks as a mobile work bench before, and within minutes the forks are pointing downward.
I wasn't too sure how well it would work when I started and was initially leery of drift but I had no problem with them drifting down, in either curl or lift. Granted I only installed a couple guards then started the tractor to move to the next location but they held my 240 lbs just fine, even when I was doing a corner where I was on the edge for a good 10-15 minutes trimming to fit. The only time I had to raise the pallet again was when I had to work over top of some yew bushes. Afraid my knowledge of hydraulics is too limited for me to offer worthwhile advice but I don't think they should drift down that fast.

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
For a second, I was wondering what Diesel Shadow had to do with the air in the tires...........now I see who you were talking about......a "Descriptive So and So"............

I think I would put "FrankenTiller" out by the road with a sign on it, and let some brave new soul become intimate friends with it. Sometimes, the pain and days of agony simply aren't worth it.......Plus this is tiller season and someone will jump on it. (y)

Now that you have the soil loosened up, I think the little "weeding tiller" should suffice for loosening up just the rows or planting areas.........No need to loosen up where you will be walking between the rows.......Good luck with the garden and make sure to post pictures during the season......

SB DS (Dip S _ _ __) yep Descriptive So and So:)

Me:giggle:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
We went and bought a bunch of flowers for this weekend. So we used Betsy to haul the flowers and mulch and we use her to haul water out to the front flower beds. 20200523_143219.jpg 20200523_170649.jpg 20200523_170824.jpg 20200523_171029.jpg 20200525_115149.jpg 20200525_120148.jpg

Good couple of days!
WB 🚜🇺🇸🌻

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Nice looking place, WB!! Love the last pic with the flag and what looks like an old farm implement in the yard!

Pallet forks and a pallet turned into a mobile scaffold for installing gutter guards.
View attachment 740429
Waiting for the safety police to start up! LOL! I'm actually planning on doing the same thing with my LCUT later this week. I have a gutter that needs repaired. The soil below the area that needs attention is very soft (flower bed) and not enough room to put boards down under the ladder. Using the forks will be perfect. Hopefully the FEL on my 3-series will handle my "heft" without too much problem. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Waiting for the safety police to start up! LOL! I'm actually planning on doing the same thing with my LCUT later this week. I have a gutter that needs repaired. The soil below the area that needs attention is very soft (flower bed) and not enough room to put boards down under the ladder. Using the forks will be perfect. Hopefully the FEL on my 3-series will handle my "heft" without too much problem. :)
Yeah, I was half expecting to get some feedback on that, but I didn't really think I was doing anything dangerous. It's not like I was under the loader. Worst case I could have fallen a few feet. I made sure the forks were as wide as possible for the pallet to get the most support. When I first climbed on I was watching for any leak down and was prepared to bail but it held me fine throughout the project. There was some side to side sway but it just took a few minutes to get my sea legs. All in all it made the project so much easier than using a ladder and a lot safer (IMHO) than doing it from the roof.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Waiting for the safety police to start up! LOL! I'm actually planning on doing the same thing with my LCUT later this week. I have a gutter that needs repaired. The soil below the area that needs attention is very soft (flower bed) and not enough room to put boards down under the ladder. Using the forks will be perfect. Hopefully the FEL on my 3-series will handle my "heft" without too much problem.
Yeah, I was half expecting to get some feedback on that, but I didn't really think I was doing anything dangerous. It's not like I was under the loader. Worst case I could have fallen a few feet. I made sure the forks were as wide as possible for the pallet to get the most support. When I first climbed on I was watching for any leak down and was prepared to bail but it held me fine throughout the project. There was some side to side sway but it just took a few minutes to get my sea legs. All in all it made the project so much easier than using a ladder and a lot safer (IMHO) than doing it from the roof.
I've used mine many times as a platform or workbench. I just strategically place a 2x4 under the pallet. Not OSHA approved, but what the heck.
Dunno.gif
Living life on the edge.
Laugh1.gif

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,263 Posts
IMG_1635.JPG
This is needing to be replaced. This time I got the up-dated version. Still waiting on 3 of the flat metal pieces. I'll have a hay field by the time I get to mow again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sundancer,

Guess what. You’re still going to put tools where you’ll forget them.

I was looking everywhere for my prescription sunglasses the other day. I even called the liquor store to see if I left them there. Went out to the garage twice looking on the workbench, tractor and in my truck. Nope, not there or anywhere else I looked. Going with “Nothing stays lost forever”, I proceeded without them. The next time I walked out into the garage, there they were sitting on top of my truck tonneau cover. But I can still complete a coherent sentence! Thank God for that.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Grabbed some of the rocks that were dug up and dumped in the woods when I built and placed them as accents in part of the overgrown area I had recovered. Unfortunately the first rock was just too much for the 1023E to lift. But I could roll it out of the way to get to some "smaller" ones.

They're sandstone and I'll be curious to see how they weather.

Then I unmounted the grapple/FEL installed the 60D and mowed the lawn.

·
Registered
333 Posts
View attachment 740548
This is needing to be replaced. This time I got the up-dated version. Still waiting on 3 of the flat metal pieces. I'll have a hay field by the time I get to mow again.
Hi Levi
The end broke off the cross shaft ( see picture ). I went to buy the updated version, JD here in Australia wanted around $350.00 plus the metal plates. Having better things to do with $350.00 I went out and bought a piece of 3/4" round bar and modified the original lift arms. It cost less than $10.00. My "flat plates" were in better condition than yours, a bit of careful filing with a rat tail file and the slots ar now 3/4" instead of 5/8". the mower has now done 10 plus hours of mowing with no problems.
regards John
IMG_3581.JPG

14581 - 14594 of 14594 Posts