Green Tractor Talk banner

16961 - 16980 of 17008 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,751 Posts
Good advice Jeff!

I might add that one could just skip the key thread all together and drink all 12 beers while over at the sandwich thread. You might need them if you're dealing with stale bread.:ROFLMAO:
WHAT?!?! And miss out on the funniest thread on here? That sammich thread isn't near as funny as the "KEY" thread.

the semi I drove OTR thru some blizzards in the Midwest and WI.
Boy, they must have really changed the semi's since I've been driving. Seen my share of semi's that thought they could do that and ended up frozen up and jelled up. I've covered just over 2 million miles in a semi and in the winter I always had a rad. cover on. Sometimes it would be opened some and then when we drove in Wy. with 50MPH winds and at 50 below zero you damn well better have something on the front of the rad. to block the cold and wind. Got so bad the 400+ hp engine couldn't go over 45 MPH and then it got parked at high idle and front completely covered. Still couldn't get enough heat in the cab so we stayed in the truck stop to stay warm and just let the engine run at a very high idle till the winds died down. Either way I had a cover on in the winter to block the radiator. Sometimes it was open and sometimes it was closed or partly closed. Must have really changed the engines since I stopped driving in '92. Must be the computers that do all the driving now days so engines can't freeze up or fuel gel up. Oh well...glad I quit driving.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Got about 3 inches of snow yesterday late afternoon & night. Supposed to be close to 40 today but still wanted to get out & plow little since it was nice out.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
WHAT?!?! And miss out on the funniest thread on here? That sammich thread isn't near as funny as the "KEY" thread.

Boy, they must have really changed the semi's since I've been driving. Seen my share of semi's that thought they could do that and ended up frozen up and jelled up. I've covered just over 2 million miles in a semi and in the winter I always had a rad. cover on. Sometimes it would be opened some and then when we drove in Wy. with 50MPH winds and at 50 below zero you damn well better have something on the front of the rad. to block the cold and wind. Got so bad the 400+ hp engine couldn't go over 45 MPH and then it got parked at high idle and front completely covered. Still couldn't get enough heat in the cab so we stayed in the truck stop to stay warm and just let the engine run at a very high idle till the winds died down. Either way I had a cover on in the winter to block the radiator. Sometimes it was open and sometimes it was closed or partly closed. Must have really changed the engines since I stopped driving in '92. Must be the computers that do all the driving now days so engines can't freeze up or fuel gel up. Oh well...glad I quit driving.
Your cover was directly on the radiator??

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
Removed the snowblower and put the front blade on . Had a heck of a time getting the pin out of front quick hitch so I could use the front angle blade.
Before putting the blade on removed the ring , on the bottom of the pin. Pin would not pull out, so put on the blade and plowed the front driveway. Still would not , guessing the pin was frozen in place. When I finished the driveway , I found a piece of metal about 4" H and slid it under the quick hitch and used it to break the pin loose. Great pin came up apx 1" and still wouldn't come out . After moving the quick hitch R-L a couple of times it finally broke loose .

By that time the rain had pretty well taken care of the maybe 1" overnight snow.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
We got above freezing last Saturday for the first time since Feb. 5th and have been above freezing since. Hope it stays that way.
The snow is melting quickly, but I did clean off the rock part of the driveway since it had a couple inches of slush on it.

The neighbor came by with his trailer and we loaded up the tree logs and limbs left over when the power company cut a dead tree away from the power lines. I loaded it up for him onto his trailer with my tractor and forks. I am glad it is gone, but I do have some raking and cleanup to do after the rest of the snow melts and starts to dry out some.

Ordered a seat cover from greenpartsstore.com, used the TTWT discount code. It came in and got it installed. Loosened up the bolts on the armrests to tuck some of the access cover under the brackets to help hold it in place.
I did add a couple extra straps underneath the seat to help hold the seat part of the cover in place. We'll see how long it lasts.

Now, I am ready for Spring so I can get the rest of the yard back in shape.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Used the landscape rake to clear 5” of snow and expose the 1” of ice underneath

Location Middle TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that's a first for me to see. How did it work breaking up the ice underneath?

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
Well that's a first for me to see. How did it work breaking up the ice underneath?
Frist for me, and Wondering same thing,
If it works , SIL, and daughter could use this for there gravel driveway.

·
Corndog Hater
12,435 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not exactly what I did with it but......I moved it inside out of the snow. Got the boxes open to check parts and evaluate difficulty of install. Now I've had to work next to it for 2 days. It's like I can hear it talkin to me tryin to get itself on the tractor. I think I'm goin nuts! I wish I could get my trailer outta the snow! Maybe that's an after work project.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Plowed some more snow, put 2ish hours on Hobbs. smoked a few cigars! View attachment 776221 View attachment 776222
Not that I would be out there doing it, but I'm wondering how much of that road you bladed with the JD. I see shoes (I think) at the blade. Do you have a plastic edge on the blade and how fast are you going out there? That's a bit more than "I bladed my driveway."

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Not that I would be out there doing it, but I'm wondering how much of that road you bladed with the JD. I see shoes (I think) at the blade. Do you have a plastic edge on the blade and how fast are you going out there? That's a bit more than "I bladed my driveway."
That's the commute between my place and my inlaws. I do their driveway, sometimes their neighbor and mine. I don't plow the streets, and try to minimize the amount that my plow touches the street, its pretty rough asphalt.

I have an Artillian rubber edge (also had their wings for 3 years now that I've never installed) and its good on smooth asphalt, but the rough street wears my edge much much faster when doing the end of the driveways. I'll likely stick with a rubber edge when I finally replace it, haven't decided on manufacturer yet. I've considered the UMHW edges too but the current edge has been on for about 15-20 hours of use and I just flipped it due to wear this past weekend, hopefully I'll get another 15-20 hours out of it before I need to replace it.

Edit: When "commuting" I'm WOT in High with it floored! No red key though, I like to enjoy a cigar between the houses, and the red key would turn the 2.5mile ride (22-25 min) in to something like 35-40 seconds. 😉

·
Registered
698 Posts
That's the commute between my place and my inlaws. I do their driveway, sometimes their neighbor and mine. I don't plow the streets, and try to minimize the amount that my plow touches the street, its pretty rough asphalt.

I have an Artillian rubber edge (also had their wings for 3 years now that I've never installed) and its good on smooth asphalt, but the rough street wears my edge much much faster when doing the end of the driveways. I'll likely stick with a rubber edge when I finally replace it, haven't decided on manufacturer yet. I've considered the UMHW edges too but the current edge has been on for about 15-20 hours of use and I just flipped it due to wear this past weekend, hopefully I'll get another 15-20 hours out of it before I need to replace it.

Edit: When "commuting" I'm WOT in High with it floored! No red key though, I like to enjoy a cigar between the houses, and the red key would turn the 2.5mile ride (22-25 min) in to something like 35-40 seconds.
Yeah that red key makes it crazy fast.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
It did not do much to the ice - but we had about an inch thick layer.

I could have tried the box blade but thought the rake would do a better job of pushing the snow off the the side than using a box blade.

Clearing the snow helped get the ice layer exposed and expedited the melt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
It was a beautiful clear sunny day in Northeastern PA yesterday so I took advantage and played with the tractor, er I worked hard moving snow piles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had Versa Turf tires installed at Local Coop. $72 including tax and transferring beet juice.

Bought tires online from Walmart. Best delivered price I could find. Coop couldn’t find them in their catalog. Local Deere dealer wanted $80 more each for rear tires.

Now I have some OEM tires for sale with only 85 hours on them. Location 45 miles northwest of Chattanooga if someone wants to make a deal.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My dual weight Heavy Hitch bracket showed up yesterday. I have to say one thing they sure do an excellent job of packaging. Also ordered a set of cat 1 bushings with it.

It does fit on my Titan cart too but the pin hole in the receiver dosn't line up with the one on the cart. No big deal though I'll just get the step bit out & drill a new one in the cart.

16961 - 16980 of 17008 Posts