Green Tractor Talk banner

What did you do with your SCUT Deere today?

4M views 29K replies 1K participants last post by  adam.dillon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I find it amazing how these machines make you say, yay I have work to do. Ive been meaning to collect some firewood for a few months now. Got 'er done today, and really quick and easy too!

See less See more
#14,521 ·
I just didn't want to trust that delicate looking transmission to a grade 5, 7/16 shear bolt...takes a lot to shear one of those (I do have a shear bolt on the driven side of the clutch.. just in case).
I'll run the clutch as loose as possible. Can always tighten it
Smart move, I just don't think 15-20 pto hp is enough to snap a shear bolt, lots of other delicate parts that could break before the bolt.

#14,522 ·
When I got mine from the Deere dealer I got the one with the slip joint and chains for deflectors. I think the slip joint is better. But I didn't do it for that reason. I was going to get the standard one. They ordered it in for me to pick up on a Saturday. I had already given my CC# to pay for it. I drove 80 miles to get it and someone else sold it when it came in. So they gave me the more expensive one at the same price. And they had already discounted it as I had just bought the tractor 2 weeks before. So I did OK. The sales rep said they lost a little on it. I also bought a 72" back blade that day. He said the 2 combined was about a break even. But I am sure they made money on the TLB and fork attachment 2 weeks before. I do trust him as I deliver there a lot and know him from before I bought from them. That and a huge differance in sales tax rate are why I went 80 miles instead of 20 miles to their nearest store. Same dealer just different stores. I should maybe loosen up the springs on mine as well. But I have seen videos where TTWT broke shear bolts with his 2025R so I think they can do it.

#14,524 ·
Showing my ignorance, what does the lower flag designate?
Combination of the thin blue line and thin red line. Police and fire.

#14,525 ·
Thanks. Is that the blow torch thing? I'd be afraid I'd burn the whole plant. This stuff burns like a dead Xmas tree. I just wanted to divide the plants because they are a beautiful low maintenance screen for the pool

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes it is. Take out enough to make the splits you need for your screen then give the plot a once over and you will kill all seeds, bugs, nematodes. Its not necessary to burn up the plant just hit it quickly so it shrivels just noticable and it will die even the roots. I use it in my back yard for poison oak cause with care i can kill it without damaging other plants next to it. I use the little guy for that which is only 25,000btu's.

#14,527 ·
#14,528 ·
#14,529 ·
Smart move, I just don't think 15-20 pto hp is enough to snap a shear bolt, lots of other delicate parts that could break before the bolt.
I've snapped numerous shear bolts on my post hole digger. Once it bogged down and just stalled the machine, but only about half throttle.

#14,530 ·
I've snapped numerous shear bolts on my post hole digger. Once it bogged down and just stalled the machine, but only about half throttle.
Maybe it's just the 15 pto hp on the 1023, I never snapped on on my brush hog, but I'm still a firm believer in a slip clutch.

#14,531 ·
Maybe it's just the 15 pto hp on the 1023, I never snapped on on my brush hog, but I'm still a firm believer in a slip clutch.
both at the same time is the best protection. If your using utility grade bolts you will break them if you get into something solid enough. I've know some guys that never break them but they are using grade 8 the hardest ones available. Lets face it something has to give and its much better to have a shear go than something expensive. I have known guys that use grade 8 because they don't like reploaceing broken shear pins......a stupid idea....You should use bolts with no slashes on the head meaning it is the mild steel with a minimum tensile strenth of 74,000 psi, grade 8 is 150,000psi. When i bought my first old tractor it never broke any it would chop up fence posts and most things clattering banging but never broke a pin so one day i decided to see why. Thats when i discovered i had a grade 8 shear bolt installed instead of a grade 2. I changed in a flash

#14,532 ·
BROKE IT! More specifically broke the lock on the 54D, the front U-Joint on the mid-PTO driveshaft and the rear tires. Bad news comes in threes or is this four? Didn't really break the rear tires yet, one has a bubble/bulge in the sidewall and the other one has a stick stuck in the sidewall. How I got a stick in the sidewall like that I'll never figure out. I'm sure the bulge has something to due with all the rock here I'm driving through probably abrading the sidewall. The U-Joint broke at the casting so I don't think it's a lubrication issue. Especially since I just greased the driveline less than 15 hours runtime ago. Usually lubrication issues with U-Joint result in a failure at the caps (at least with the cars). I take it these mini U-joints are the same type with caps and needle bearings? The mower deck I took out to use it for the first time since I bought the tractor. Broke the lock trying to move it. Took it to the garage and welded the lock together the best I could as the welder was giving me fits. I should have quit here. Started to mow with the deck and the cut was real uneven. Brought it in and leveled it side to side. Front to back was level. Cut was good after that, but it was scalping bad going over the sand mound. So this brings up a question, from the floor how high can you raise a mower deck on the 1025R all the way up? Mine is about 3-4 inches from the bottom of the deck to the floor. Seems to me this isn't going up as high as it should. Broke the U-joint later when I restarted the mower deck. Then I rebroke the deck lock when I was getting the deck off. All in all it wasn't a good Sunday. Today I ordered the U-joint, lock assembly, same Carlisle turf tires except in 6-ply instead of 4 ply (in case I'm over stressing the sidewall somehow). Called the dealer to find out how much it was going to cost to get them mounted and filled. This was an expensive mowing job! Although the tire issues weren't due to the mowing. At least the tractor will fit on the four post lift I have so I can work on it. I still love it though!

Reactions: Levi
#14,533 ·
BROKE IT! More specifically broke the lock on the 54D, the front U-Joint on the mid-PTO driveshaft and the rear tires. Bad news comes in threes or is this four? Didn't really break the rear tires yet, one has a bubble/bulge in the sidewall and the other one has a stick stuck in the sidewall. How I got a stick in the sidewall like that I'll never figure out. I'm sure the bulge has something to due with all the rock here I'm driving through probably abrading the sidewall. The U-Joint broke at the casting so I don't think it's a lubrication issue. Especially since I just greased the driveline less than 15 hours runtime ago. Usually lubrication issues with U-Joint result in a failure at the caps (at least with the cars). I take it these mini U-joints are the same type with caps and needle bearings? The mower deck I took out to use it for the first time since I bought the tractor. Broke the lock trying to move it. Took it to the garage and welded the lock together the best I could as the welder was giving me fits. I should have quit here. Started to mow with the deck and the cut was real uneven. Brought it in and leveled it side to side. Front to back was level. Cut was good after that, but it was scalping bad going over the sand mound. So this brings up a question, from the floor how high can you raise a mower deck on the 1025R all the way up? Mine is about 3-4 inches from the bottom of the deck to the floor. Seems to me this isn't going up as high as it should. Broke the U-joint later when I restarted the mower deck. Then I rebroke the deck lock when I was getting the deck off. All in all it wasn't a good Sunday. Today I ordered the U-joint, lock assembly, same Carlisle turf tires except in 6-ply instead of 4 ply (in case I'm over stressing the sidewall somehow). Called the dealer to find out how much it was going to cost to get them mounted and filled. This was an expensive mowing job! Although the tire issues weren't due to the mowing. At least the tractor will fit on the four post lift I have so I can work on it. I still love it though!

View attachment 739536
View attachment 739537 View attachment 739538 View attachment 739539
Sorry to hear of your bad day. I puntured the side wall of steel belted radials off road tires on my jeep years ago with a stick. Couldn't believe it but it happened. Youve paid your dues for a lifetime of cutting all at once it seems. I'm wondering what caused the ujoint casting to break....Have you talked to JD?

#14,534 ·
Howdy All,
This past weekend the loader on the 1025R sure earned it's keep. We had an old dog house that was 3' x 5' and darn heavy. It was getting pretty old and starting to rot so it is time to replace it. Before when we wanted to move it we would wrap a strap around it and attempt to pull it with the garden tractor. Not an easy task as the tires would spin.
This time, we set the dog house on the bottom lip of the loader, then wrapped a chain around both ends of the house and attached the chain to the Ken's hooks on the loader. With the tractor at idles it was just a simple curl of the bucket and a lift of the loader. Brought a big smile to my face as it saved a lot of work and dragging it 100 yards to the burn pile. I was able to slowly drive across the property and gently place it at the top of the burn pile.
What a blessing this little tractor has been. In the same day we mowed three acres of grass, tilled a sweet corn patch and then moved the dog house.

#14,535 ·
#14,536 ·
That's a pretty sight. I'd be curious how this works out long-term. My 25 foot flag pole came with instructions to dig a hole three foot wide and three foot deep. Seemed like overkill, but I had a lot invested in the flag pole and the equipment for the job so I followed the directions for once.

My Flag Pole Hole Post

Final Flag Pole Pictures Post

I guess it will depend on what kind of dirt it's in and how much wind you get. Two flags rocking the pole back and forth could make it loose over time.

#14,537 ·
That's a pretty sight. I'd be curious how this works out long-term. My 25 foot flag pole came with instructions to dig a hole three foot wide and three foot deep. Seemed like overkill, but I had a lot invested in the flag pole and the equipment for the job so I followed the directions for once.
This one said 3ft deep and 2ft wide. I got the depth easily with the PHD. 6" of gravel, 6" of sand, and 24" of concrete with the 24" PVC sleeve in it. The width I took some liberties with. The auger is 9". And I widened it to probably 14" by hand. It is extremely difficult to dig this soil by hand. So I widened it some by hand but not out to 2ft. So far so good. If it gets to leaning, my neighbor's mini excavator will dig it out and make a newer and bigger hole.

#14,538 ·

My Flag Pole Hole Post

Final Flag Pole Pictures Post

I guess it will depend on what kind of dirt it's in and how much wind you get. Two flags rocking the pole back and forth could make it loose over time.
I was digging in some hard Carolina clay using my backhoe, sometimes just scratching at the walls of this hole with the bucket teeth to get a scoop out. If I had a post hole digger I might have done the same thing because in my case at least it was probably overkill. I think the instructions are written to the lowest common denominator...if you're digging a hole on a sandy beach or something.

I would like to be a fly in my wood line if someday if someone wants to remove the flag pole and thinks they're going to dig up that corrugated pipe it sits in. They will need a huge excavator to pull my concrete out. :D

#14,539 ·
Sorry to hear of your bad day. I puntured the side wall of steel belted radials off road tires on my jeep years ago with a stick. Couldn't believe it but it happened. Youve paid your dues for a lifetime of cutting all at once it seems. I'm wondering what caused the ujoint casting to break....Have you talked to JD?
Bfloyd Thanks, I haven't talked to JD about it since it was $33 from the Green Parts. Although if it happens again then I'll be a little more concerned.

#14,540 ·
Took the trash out to the road, moved a rolling table from the walkout basement to the barn. It was an old Hospital Medical Equipment rolling cart. I decided to place a piece of Plywood on it for a top and use it for a work table when I am working on the tractors. That way I will not be looking for the tools I placed on the tractor some where.