Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my 1025r I decided it needed a name so I now call it Bucky.

What do you call your SCUT (when it is working and not when it has let you down :laugh: ) ?

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
So why "Bucky"? Like to hear the story......

I call it "the tractor" and on GTT, "the 1025r".......never got into naming inanimate objects. :dunno: But I know a lot of people do name them.....Let's see, Wenton Brown calls his tractor "Betsy" and I see some graduation pictures this past week where a new GTT member called it "Little Johnny" or "Little John".

Mrs. Bear calls it "your tractor" and she won't drive it.......I once got her to drive it about 10 ft straight on the driveway and she said "too many levers and pedals and thingies" and that was that...............just as well.:laugh:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So why "Bucky"? Like to hear the story......

I call it "the tractor" and on GTT, "the 1025r".......never got into naming inanimate objects. :dunno: But I know a lot of people do name them.....Let's see, Wenton Brown calls his tractor "Betsy" and I see some graduation pictures this past week where a new GTT member called it "Little Johnny" or "Little John".

Mrs. Bear calls it "your tractor" and she won't drive it.......I once got her to drive it about 10 ft straight on the driveway and she said "too many levers and pedals and thingies" and that was that...............just as well.:laugh:
My neighbor's younger kids said the 1025r was too small to be called a Deere so they started calling it Bambi

Bambi doesn't work for me because I like to hunt so I decided, with the neighbor's kids approval, to call it Bucky

My partner drove Bucky a couple of times when I was picking branches in the yard . . . but after she hit a tree with the loader bucket, that was it!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sam

iI call my tractor SAM. as in Uncle Sam. No matter how much money I spend on it, it always wants something more. I wouldn’t be surprised for it to somehow tell me “BUT ITS FOR THE CHILDREN” to get the next thing it absolutely has to have.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
My wife calls it Helga. “Are you going to play with Helga?”

And if I should look covetously at another tractor, I get “what would Helga think?”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
LGM. Little green machine!

I originally named it Little green beast or LGB. I like that better but my gay friends started messing me with and asking if they can borrow my little gay tractor so i changed it to LGM :lolol:(LGB= lesbian, gays, & bisexual)

I still call it Little Green Beast when i say all the words :laugh:

The back story on the name
I borrowed my buddies 4 series orange tractor. To work around the house. I needed it wayyyyy longer than he could let me borrow it so I went and bought my own 1025 TLB. It became Little Green Beast after just hours of us using it. It did everything the 4 Series did just slower. I was amazed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I name all my machines. I can't swear at, or praise, them effectively without giving them identity. And they do seem to have a personality to go with it.

My 2032R (I know, MCUT) is George. I was running low on meaningful names and George has been my catch-all name for when I forget. When I explain how bad my memory for names is and why I decided on George as a default, many people think it is funny and don't mind. I have "Georged" quite a few with good results. Oddly, most are young ladies. One was a nervous bride just before the ceremony at my wife's church where I was helping in the kitchen. It helped ease her tension, and when it was over I hollered "congratulations George" and she hollered "Thanks" back. Her new husband gave her a funny look. I didn't know either of them.

I thought I was done naming as I was done getting machines when I got a plate compactor yesterday. Haven't thought up a name yet. Perhaps Thumper, as in the rabbit?

Some names are descriptive such as Zip for the log splitter and Chip for the chipper. Some have a relationship such as Jenny and Jack for my two yard mules (riding mowers without a deck), some are take-offs on their brand name such as Airy for the Ariens snowblower. Some have no rhyme or reason. None are named for people I know.

Dobbin (my truck work horse) whinnys and Midnite (wife's car) now barks and bays like the hounds. We have a lot of fun with that.

I know, I'm a little crazy but it does keep life interesting. Being normal is so boring.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Mr. Green Jeans Genes

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

And if I should look covetously at another tractor, I get “what would Helga think?”.

:lol::lol::lol:

That is funny !!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Um... "Dustpan" is probably the best one. Spend a lot of time running stuff to a burn pile with the loader bucket attached. Forks also works well, but "Forks" is kind of a dumb name.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sprout, as in the Jolly Green Giant's little friend.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Like someone else posted, I name all my stuff.
1025r = Marshawn. Because this tractor is beast mode, just like Marshawn Lynch used to be

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 2305 is JRN (John R. Newton) after a life long family friend who died six months before I got it. John was a retired industrial arts teacher with a great sense of humor. He and his 17 HP Kubota helped me reclaim a couple of acres in my lower field 16 years ago. He said great things are possible with a small diesel and a little patience. At age seven John gave me my first beer after I raked up a mountain of tall grass in his front yard. I say cheers to him with every post mow beer.

My X324 is Jolly Roger after the oyster company it used to mow at. The X540 is Jack B. after the guy who had it on Craigslist. My two older GTs off Craigslist are unnamed. The guy who had overhauled them credited everything he knew about mechanics to the classes that he took from John Newton in high school.

John had a fatal heart attack at 58. I had hoped to sponge knowledge and borrow tools for many more years.

The lower field was a grove of 15 foot tall black berries and sapling alder when he first came over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,541 Posts

Your wife is an evil genius. She is even getting your tractor to side with her,:laugh:

Best names I have seen on here is Marlin’s steers last year. 9 and Not 9.:laugh:

No names here just go by model number.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I name all my machines. I can't swear at, or praise, them effectively without giving them identity. And they do seem to have a personality to go with it.

My 2032R (I know, MCUT) is George. I was running low on meaningful names and George has been my catch-all name for when I forget. When I explain how bad my memory for names is and why I decided on George as a default, many people think it is funny and don't mind. I have "Georged" quite a few with good results. Oddly, most are young ladies. One was a nervous bride just before the ceremony at my wife's church where I was helping in the kitchen. It helped ease her tension, and when it was over I hollered "congratulations George" and she hollered "Thanks" back. Her new husband gave her a funny look. I didn't know either of them.
I think of the McGilla Gorilla Show, the gorilla gets a pet and says (while squeezing the stuffings out of the poor thing), "I'm gonna love him and hug him and squeeze him, and call him George!".

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think of the McGilla Gorilla Show, the gorilla gets a pet and says (while squeezing the stuffings out of the poor thing), "I'm gonna love him and hug him and squeeze him, and call him George!".
Gee, I hadn't thought of that George in many, many years. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
No name... though my 2 year old calls it "daddy's vroom" :laugh:

I worked for a farmer many years ago that had a 4 series w/cab. I know on this forum, that's a big tractor, but compared to the rest of the equipment on the farm it was tiny! The next smallest tractor was 275 HP!
Because of this, we all called that 4720 "tinker toy", or "tink" for short.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts