Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that I've decided not to get chickens for now (Thanks everyone for all of the advice). What do I do with a tree where my pole barn needs to go? I'm going to build the pole barn and then put in a concrete floor at some point, but there is a tree right in the middle of what will be the building. It is a pine tree, if that matters. I've been told that I can't cut it and grind the stump as the concrete floor will sink if I pour over the soft spot, even with rebar, etc.. Is my only option to dig the stump out with a mini excavator? One of the pole barn companies told me not to do that either, they said the only option was for them to bring in a bulldozer and push it over.

It is about 12" in diameter and 85 feet tall.

Im really just concerned with the future potential of the floor and whatnot around this lumbering pine tree.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
So, now that I've decided not to get chickens for now (Thanks everyone for all of the advice). What do I do with a tree where my pole barn needs to go? I'm going to build the pole barn and then put in a concrete floor at some point, but there is a tree right in the middle of what will be the building. It is a pine tree, if that matters. I've been told that I can't cut it and grind the stump as the concrete floor will sink if I pour over the soft spot, even with rebar, etc.. Is my only option to dig the stump out with a mini excavator? One of the pole barn companies told me not to do that either, they said the only option was for them to bring in a bulldozer and push it over.

It is about 12" in diameter and 85 feet tall.

Im really just concerned with the future potential of the floor and whatnot around this lumbering pine tree.
I think that since it's only 12 inch stump, isn't going to matter too much on how you get rid of it. I wouldn't grind it, just because it would be so easy to pop out.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Since you are pouring concrete.... Make sure you get ALL the roots out of the ground, not just close to the stump. Larger spreading roots will decay and the nice new concrete will settle (regardless of gravel sub-base).

I have a 22" ex-blue spruce buzzed flat to the ground and I can see the root pattern extending way out from the buried stump in the extra fast growing grass. Wood becomes fertilizer when it dies. It ALL will be coming out for the new porch/deck in the Spring (I'd rather it was going to be a pole barn though!).:laugh:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Pine tree roots flare out radially rather than downward. Cut the trunk and yank the stump. Back fill as necessary and build the project.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pine tree roots flare out radially rather than downward. Cut the trunk and yank the stump. Back fill as necessary and build the project.
Depending on your water table you could have one helluva tap root too.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
I would remove all of it. Roots should be fairly shallow.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
My grandfather would tie off a cable from towards the top of the tree to the base of another with a come along. He would then pull a good deal of pressure on the wore and then start digging around the base of the tree. The tree would eventually pop up and out.

Probably not the safest practice but he was successful with dozens of trees. Of course for me, that is just too much work.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like I'd be ok to dig it out with a mini excavator then? I'll have a tree company take it down along with some others that I want to get taken care of. (All clearly on my property, no neighbor problems) Then I'll dig it out. I have a rental company that does one day rental from 3:00 pm Friday to 8:00 am Monday, so that'll work out nice.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Bubber, I had a similar set-up with only a loader and tooth bar, but you also have the forks. You could have that stump out in a day or so without the need of a rental. The stump below was twice the size of your pine, and was a maple (much deeper root system). Heck, I even saved that apple sapling planted right next to it, didn't even disturb it.

IMG_20140616_191640.jpg

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bubber, I had a similar set-up with only a loader and tooth bar, but you also have the forks. You could have that stump out in a day or so without the need of a rental. The stump below was twice the size of your pine, and was a maple (much deeper root system). Heck, I even saved that apple sapling planted right next to it, didn't even disturb it.

View attachment 34470
There is also the part where I really want to get my hands on an excavator. :lol: I do have some railroad ties against the house that I need to dig out too. I didn't buy the BH, so I could rent in these situations. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
There is also the part where I really want to get my hands on an excavator. :lol: I do have some railroad ties against the house that I need to dig out too. I didn't buy the BH, so I could rent in these situations. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. :)
Ah, ha! An ulterior motive. So then ixnay on the actortray. :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
I'm with ya! :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts