Green Tractor Talk banner

What do I need to have on hand for new 2025R?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  PJR832 
#1 ·
Should see delivery of my new 2018 2025R this coming week. A Frontier rotary cutter and I-Match are included. Planning on taking good care of this like I do all of my motorized vehicles. So what should I be buying to have on hand for general upkeep? Plan on getting another grease gun to dedicate to this machine. So what lubes, oils, grease, coolant etc. etc. should I be picking up from my JD dealer to put into the storage cabinet?

#2 ·
I would have some hyguard low vis hydro fluid on hand. There are always small hydraulic fittings that come loose and leak. Has far has grease I use the JD synthetic grease but a lot of people use the moly grease. I keep a set of filters on hand. Congrats on your new purchase and enjoy it.

#4 ·
I agree with Drifterbike with having at least a gallon of hydraulic oil on hand. Cry like a baby and the dealer will probably give you a gallon.

Fuel filters, get two.
Mine gave me two with my 1023 :cray:

I would keep a gallon of that and a gallon of cool guard, coolant leaks tend to pop up sometimes too :thumbup1gif:

also keep lots of spare:gizmo: on hand for additional implements and attachments.:lol:

#5 ·
I keep two sets of filters on hand for my machines, and these include the entire "Filter Pack", engine oil, Hydro Oil, Fuel filters, Inner and Outer Air Filters.

I also buy my Low Viscosity HyGard in 5 gallon buckets. Not only is it much more cost effective, when you service the machine, you are going to need 5 gallons to service it.

By the way, the 5 gallon HyGard buckets are great for handling the old oil you remove from the tractor, for recycling. They are easy to pour the old oil into, they seal well for transport and you are not having a bunch of one gallon plastic jugs around, especially for transporting the oil for recycling.

I highly recommend you get a dedicated plastic pouring / measuring container for when you are servicing your machine. You will want to measure and count the quarts of hydro fluid you add as it tends to reach the "FULL" point all of a sudden and it's tough to get the excess hydro fluid out. I prefer a two quart plastic kitchen measure with a pour spout for measuring the fluids and for easier pouring into the tractor. It's much easier and neater than trying to pour out of the gallon or 5 gallon containers. Plus, it's easier to keep exact count of how much fluid you add.

If you have several hydraulic attachments, such as the front quick hitch or anything which operates hydraulically, you will need to top off the fluid in your machine once you have attached each implement because of the fluid needed to fill the lines and hoses. Having a two quart container to fill from is much easier and it allows you to know just how much fluid you add.

Technology Electronic device

You will also want to add the Steering wheel spinner, this is a great one for the tractor, I put this on my new machine and i bet I steer the tractor with this 99% of the time, verses actually touching the wheel........I bought the cell phone mount for my tractor for the phone because of the cab, but I ended up sending the cell phone mount along with some other stuff to my "Secret Santa" recipient on GTT because my phone is hooked up through blue tooth in my radio and I just leave the phone on my Otter Box belt carrier.......

I think the "Secret Santa" gift recipient was going to use the cell phone mount in a larger tractor with cab which he has........I think it's a 4 series with cab if I recall.

Product Tire Floor Material property Lubricant

This is the "Delivery Kit" which my Outstanding John Deere Sales Professional, RYAN, provided me when I took delivery of my tractor. Ryan is a really good guy and he and I have become friends from working together on my tractor purchase. We speak on the phone about once per week on all types of matters, the things which friends discuss (Family, work, etc.) and he will either call and stop by to check on things or I see him at the dealer, every few weeks.........

I also suggest considering adding a seat cover for your new tractor. I always run with a seat cover on my machines for a couple of reasons. First, I want to keep the seat like new and also, I wear a holster on my belt which has a metal clip and I don't want to risk damaging the seat on my equipment from the holster clip or the handle of the carry weapon.

Here is the seat cover which my wife selected for my tractor, based upon the size of the seat. It's a two piece cover, with the top and bottom, separate, which is nice because it allows you to secure it on the seat. Also, these seat covers have extremely handy carry pockets and pouches. In the main zipper compartment on the rear of the seat, I use it to carry a half dozen or of the plastic bags which you get when you get groceries. I have a few older neighbors who I will stop and get their mail and paper and put it in the plastic bags and then hang it on their front door handle. This way, they can open the door and get their mail without having to bend over and it also saves them from the trip out to the mailbox in inclement weather.

The storage compartments are also handy for an extra cigar cutter and lighter and also a small kit of band aids and first aid cream. I have seat covers on all my tractors and mower seats and I recommend it.

Yellow Font
Car seat cover Product Car seat Vehicle Car

This seat cover isn't a "PERFECT FIT" for the 1 series seat, but it's pretty darn close. and it deals with the arm rests. I used small bungee cords on the underside of the seat to really snug fit it, so the seat cover doesn't slide around when getting on and off the seat. You can see in the photo with it on the seat just how snug the lower cover fits with the bungee cords securing it. I used velcro for the seat back cover and it stays in place, it's just not as snug. The next picture is the little bungee cords on the bottom of the seat. They don't get in the way of anything and don't affect the seat switch or anything else.

Night Musician Music Performance Stage

You may also want to get a couple of hitch pins and a clevis hook mount or two for when you hook straps to your tractor.

And of course, you will want to go to "Ken's Bolt on Hooks" for the hooks, straps and other necessities for your machine.

Reactions: Gebada22 and PJR832
#7 ·
:congrats::greentractorride::usa:good2:

:gtfam:

You've gotten some pretty good advice. Have fun with your new rig!

Reactions: ctrider and PJR832
#9 ·
Man, some of you guys and your extras picked up at delivery make me feel like I missed out on a few things, lol.

All good suggestions so far!

For grease, I keep two on hand. JD SD Polyurea for things like U-joints, other pivots, etc. Basically general purpose stuff. For heavy loading, I use JD HD Moly Grease, things like loader/backhoe frame pins/bushings etc.

Good to have filters on hand as others have said, along with all lubricants, motor oil, HyGard, and coolant.
That reminds me, I need to go look at the manual to see what goes in the front axle...but with my assortment of fluids, Im sure Ive got it covered.
Extra pins/clips are always handy too.

Reactions: PJR832
#10 ·
Man, some of you guys and your extras picked up at delivery make me feel like I missed out on a few things, lol.

All good suggestions so far!

For grease, I keep two on hand. JD SD Polyurea for things like U-joints, other pivots, etc. Basically general purpose stuff. For heavy loading, I use JD HD Moly Grease, things like loader/backhoe frame pins/bushings etc.

Good to have filters on hand as others have said, along with all lubricants, motor oil, HyGard, and coolant.
That reminds me, I need to go look at the manual to see what goes in the front axle...but with my assortment of fluids, Im sure Ive got it covered.
Extra pins/clips are always handy too.
I've used the JD HD Moly Grease for everything since 1988 or so. Just saying

Reactions: PJR832
#12 ·
Best answer yet Stan [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.