Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

I like to watch one lonely farmer on you tube. In the last couple of days he has put up a few videos on a JD 60 that seems to have been painted some shade of yellow in its life. He believes it is a John Deere made and painted for Caterpiller. I know some Deere dealers were allowed to sell both Deere and Caterpiller. I believe this was more common out in the Western US. I was under the impression that they were allowed to sell both brands but was not aware that Deere painted and decaled in Caterpiller colors.

My opinion is the tractor may be a industrial 60, but was not painted and decaled in Caterpiller colors from the factory. What do you think?

·
Administrator
20,847 Posts
While I too enjoy onelonelyfarmer, he does swear in his videos, sometimes a lot.

I've never heard of Caterpillar selling re-branded two-cylinder tractors. I suspect it was just a previous paint job. Look how poor the current paint looks now. Perhaps a quick and sloppy rattle can paint job.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had never even heard of Deere painting Caterpiller colors and putting on their decals. I was wondering of anyone here had?

That tractor has been painted a few times in its life IMHO.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's possible the tractor in question was painted industrial yellow but I seriously doubt it was painted Caterpillar yellow. Simple solution would be for tractor owner to have the serial number researched at the Two-Cylinder club.

I agree and he said he is currently doing that. He is going to be disappointed.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,468 Posts
It's possible the tractor in question was painted industrial yellow but I seriously doubt it was painted Caterpillar yellow. Simple solution would be for tractor owner to have the serial number researched at the Two-Cylinder club.
I agree with Jim. It was most likely paint Industrial Yellow. Other than a shot stint as marketing partners, Deere and CAT were; and will not be in bed together.
After 1936, Deere painted tractors in "Hi-Way Yellow" for their industrial customers, as a safety feature for high visibility while working along roadways.
By 1937, Deere offered it's industrial customers many colors(yellow, orange, blue and red for example).

·
Registered
12,043 Posts
Sorry! I was curious if that was ever done. I know a little about the past history of Deere and had never heard what he is claiming. If it walks like a duck......
I agree with Jim. It was most likely paint Industrial Yellow. Other than a shot stint as marketing partners, Deere and CAT were; and will not be in bed together.
After 1936, Deere painted tractors in "Hi-Way Yellow" for their industrial customers, as a safety feature for high visibility while working along roadways.
By 1937, Deere offered it's industrial customers many colors(yellow, orange, blue and red for example).
I remember hearing RUMORS that Deere and Cat worked together to develop the 440 Industrial series, but I think it is crap. Never saw anything definitive.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

In my local two cylinder the is a guy with a 430 that was originally painted IH red with silver wheels. Seem the county that bought it had a IH guy and he at least got a tractor that looked the part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts