Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's clear reading through the posts on here that we have members from a wide variety of backgrounds, with incredibly diverse skill sets. I thought it would be fun to see what we all did for 40/50/ however many hours a week. :)

I'm an industrial equipment mechanic currently, been doing this for about 8 years. Forklifts, scissor lifts, boom lifts, if it lifts we probably fix 'em. :) I worked on semi trucks and heavy equipment before I moved into this. I also run a blacksmithing and metalwork shop, with the occasional repair on farm or construction equipment. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Great idea for a new thread:good2:

I manage the engineering department for a small (100 employee) investment casting foundry. We cast stainless steels, carbon steels, cobalt alloys, nickel alloys and a couple of bronze alloys. (we don't do any aluminum). For those who are interested, we do all air melt, no inert atmosphere or vacuum melting. Our product line varies, lots of gun parts, pump parts, and various automotive and commercial, and a few aerospace parts. We cast parts weighing from a few hundredths of a pound up to about 75 lbs. Been doing this for almost 7 years.

Before that, I was in the high performance electrical conductor industry. Silver, nickel and tin plated conductors we sold to the insulators using the teflon (and other) type insulations. The final markets were for military and commercial aircraft and some shipboard.

Before that I was in naval nuclear reactor design and development, but that was a long time ago.

I look forward to reading everyone else's profession :munch:

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
I worked in Skilled Trades at General Motors. Went thru two plant closings. Retired with 37 years service after the second plant closing. Worked in Toolmaking, Panel Checking, and as a Stationary Engineer; both as Power House Repair and as a Boiler Operator. Nice ride while it lasted.

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts
I just completed my 25th year at Verizon on 2/1/13. Working with Fiber Optics (not FIOS) and digital multiplexers to deliver high speed data to commercial customers including cell carriers for the last 21 years. That's the "real job"

I also have done side work/part time work for years in woodworking and now metalworking.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I've been employed by GE Appliances as a maintenance electrician (although we're considered multi-craft) for 29 years. Planning on retiring between June and November of this year. :good2::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I am a millwright. Seem to spend most of my time at the Point Beach nuke plant with Day & Zimmermann. Curently at the P&G paper mill in Green Bay working for B.I.S. Will likely go back the the Beach in March.

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
I was a helicopter mechanic for many years. Started out in the Army working on UH-60 Blackhawks. Once out of the military I went to work on civilian helicopters and other airplanes.

IMG22.JPG P1010014.JPG

I then went to work for the local power utility company as a power plant operator/mechanic.

control room.JPG checking out the size of the job.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010037.JPG

Now I'm an elevator man. Install, repair, modernize, and service everything from at home stair chairs to high-rise buildings from any make, model, or vintage.

IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1537.JPG IMG_1960.JPG IMG_1972.JPG IMG_0639.JPG

Great thread Blake!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
That explains why you're so adept at keeping your 'R' running to suit you.

Now transfer that expertise to the 2720 . . . :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Joined the Army in 1988 right out of high school. Was in for 6 years and got out. Joined the National Guard and worked for my dad's construction outfit for almost 7 years and then started working for the federal government as an Immigration Inspector in early 2001. In 2003 Immigration and Customs Inspectors joined forces and became US Customs and Border Protection. Been there ever since. I retired from the National Guard in 2008.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Automotive electricity instructor at a community college. Also a World Class certified auto technician for a Chevy, Buick, GMC dealership for 20 years. Funny how many people think I'm the guy on the right in my profile pic. That's Gunny! I'm on the left lol!

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
29 years as a small-town firefighter, retired 7 years ago. I do "whatever" on my own schedule now! :) ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
63 Posts
Airline Captain for a major US airline. I fly the A320 all over the US, Canada and Mexico/Caribbean. I've been flying for this airline and its predecessor/merger airlines for almost 28 years.

Scott

·
Registered
714 Posts
I am a small business owner. We have a small chain of 9 cafes. Before that I was with a large Pharmaceutical company for 20 years.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I'm a controls guy. I spent allot of years in the metal fab manufacturing world for a refuse/cement truck manufacturer. I mainly designed and built custom manufacturing equipment, and made them work together. Robotics, VFD's, hydraulics, and programming PLC's are my specialties. I'm a master electrician, and an electrical engineer.
Now I work on the building automation side of things. It's cleaner, and quieter, but not as much fun.
I also raise beef cattle.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts