Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what wax or protectant do you guys use to protect the paint on your tractors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I was wondering what wax or protectant do you guys use to protect the paint on your tractors

My tractor gets waxed every spring with mothers automotive wax. I wax everything that's painted with exception of 3 point hitch, engine, etc. I like my tractor to look good but the main reason for my yearly wax is to keep everything slick in effort to make weeds, briars, etc etc slide on the painted surfaces without scratching as bad. I may be wasting my time with the preventive scratch efforts but it appears to help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tractor gets waxed every spring with mothers automotive wax. I wax everything that's painted with exception of 3 point hitch, engine, etc. I like my tractor to look good but the main reason for my yearly wax is to keep everything slick in effort to make weeds, briars, etc etc slide on the painted surfaces without scratching as bad. I may be wasting my time with the preventive scratch efforts but it appears to help.
Thanks for the information

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I wax mine every spring and anytime I want to make my wife upset. She can't stand it she thinks it crazy and a waste of time. Says I should be waxing my car but I point out I get a different car every five years where my 420 is a 92 I had since new until 8/16 then I got my 1025 and my 420 went to stay at my sons. I use a wax called ICE easy on and off.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I don't wax or soap wash any equipment. I rinse off the dust and debris once in a while and pressure wash before servicing or when I've been in the mud. I'm not against washing and waxing, it's just not something I want to do and equipment that looks less than new doesn't bother me a bit.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Ice. It's not the longest lasting wax out there but it was originally recommended because you can wipe it on the plastic and rubber parts and it cleans right off and doesn't leave any white residue.

I wax my tractor every spring and give it a few gentle washings during the year as needed. I do not use a pressure washer. I just use a regular hose set on gentle spray. For any grimy build up I give it a squirt of Fantastik and then rinse off.

I know it's just a tractor but it doesn't take much effort to keep it looking good so why not. I do the same thing with the lawn tractor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use Turtle Wax Ice. It's not the longest lasting wax out there but it was originally recommended because you can wipe it on the plastic and rubber parts and it cleans right off and doesn't leave any white residue.

I wax my tractor every spring and give it a few gentle washings during the year as needed. I do not use a pressure washer. I just use a regular hose set on gentle spray. For any grimy build up I give it a squirt of Fantastik and then rinse off.

I know it's just a tractor but it doesn't take much effort to keep it looking good so why not. I do the same thing with the lawn tractor.
I agree hard to pay that much money for something and not keep it looking good

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I agree hard to pay that much money for something and not keep it looking good

Exactly. It is also worth it to me to help keep the trade/resell value as high as possible.

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
I don't wax or soap wash any equipment. I rinse off the dust and debris once in a while and pressure wash before servicing or when I've been in the mud. I'm not against washing and waxing, it's just not something I want to do and equipment that looks less than new doesn't bother me a bit.
Exactly the same here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guess I’m just a Tractorholic can’t put my 1023 e away without wash and touch up McGuires quick detailer in between waxing . I use all McGuires products every 4 months it gets a full wax including the rims, loader and mower. Purchase last spring and use 2-3 time a week at least and it looks like it came out of the showroom. Love Green!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good thread!

I apply wax to my 3038e not to make it a "trailer queen" or a "parade puller"-- but to protect the plastic hood and fenders.

My neighbor has an older 4000 series (about 10 years old) and he never washed/waxed/etc.

While he has his parked under a pole barn shelter (sides exposed)-- the tractor gets a lot of sunlight.

His hood finally cracked all apart due to the sun exposure-- and $700.00 later he gets the privilege of buying a new hood.

So, I'd rather try to see if a little wax will delay that process....

-Matt

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good thread!

I apply wax to my 3038e not to make it a "trailer queen" or a "parade puller"-- but to protect the plastic hood and fenders.

My neighbor has an older 4000 series (about 10 years old) and he never washed/waxed/etc.

While he has his parked under a pole barn shelter (sides exposed)-- the tractor gets a lot of sunlight.

His hood finally cracked all apart due to the sun exposure-- and $700.00 later he gets the privilege of buying a new hood.

So, I'd rather try to see if a little wax will delay that process....

-Matt
That’s what I thought about using also thanks for the help

·
Registered
184 Posts
up set wife

I wax mine every spring and anytime I want to make my wife upset. She can't stand it she thinks it crazy and a waste of time. Says I should be waxing my car but I point out I get a different car every five years where my 420 is a 92 I had since new until 8/16 then I got my 1025 and my 420 went to stay at my sons. I use a wax called ICE easy on and off.
lol I love your response keep waxing:bigthumb::laugh:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Pretty much my way of doing it. Since I bought my 1026 I've washed it with soap once just to do it and with mean green once to get rid of all the oil. I rinse it with water once in a while and I use air all the time from my air compressor. Sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. No wax, ever... on any tractor I ever had.

After I washed it with mean green...
IMG_0633.jpg

Way it looks now and most of the time...
IMG_1105.jpg

·
Old Pa-pa
11,316 Posts
I use Turtle Wax *Wash and Wax Ice*, when I do the car and truck about every 2 months, do the Deere too.

Slick and quick, leaves no water spots, doesn't have to be dried.

Find with the Z Trak the dust/grass blows off easier with the compressor or leaf blower when there's a little wax on it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What wax on the plastic hood and fenders?

What wax do y'all use on the plastic hood and fenders? I have a 3032E and the only metal are the engine skirts. I want it to last a long time. Heck I even pressure wash our mower. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't know what tractor you have, but here's the manual for a 1025r for example. So, anything that is safe for automotive will be safe for your tractor. Beyond that, you're going to get as many answers as there are products. I think Meguiar's is best. I like it when customers come by to look at my tractors and just ooo and ahhh :lol: It's the Meguiar effect :)

OMLVU25849

Cleaning Plastic Surfaces
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Improper care of machine plastic surfaces can damage that surface:

Do not wipe plastic surfaces when they are dry. Dry wiping will result in minor surface scratches.
Use a soft, clean cloth (bath towel, diaper, automotive mitt).
Do not use abrasive materials, such as polishing compounds, on plastic surfaces.
Rinse hood and entire machine with clean water to remove dirt and dust that may scratch the surface.

Wash surface with clean water and a mild liquid automotive washing soap.

Dry thoroughly to avoid water spots.

Wax the surface with a liquid automotive wax. Use products that specifically say “contains no abrasives.”

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Do not use a power buffer to remove wax.

Buff applied wax by hand using a clean, soft cloth.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
What wax do y'all use on the plastic hood and fenders? I have a 3032E and the only metal are the engine skirts. I want it to last a long time. Heck I even pressure wash our mower. Thanks in advance.
I use the same automotive wax on the plastic hood and fenders that I use on my vehicles. Pick your favorite and wax on.....wax off.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Nice job

I don't think you are wasting your time, if you have it. Once in my life, I helped wax our combine. It helped with the debris build up for a while but it was definitely a one time deal.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts