Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about everyone’s length and width... ?

Get your mind out of the gutter, we’re talking about Pallet Forks! Or utility forks, whatever you like to call them.

I’ve decided on Artillian because everyone raves about their quality. And because I really want the 2” receiver hitch that’s built in to the fork frame. They’ll be used on a 2038R with a 220R loader.

I can see the advantage of a long and skinny (3”x42”) fork for digging things up but will it bend easier when under high stress? If weight isn’t a factor would a 4” wide fork be better? I can see how a short fork would more easily maneuver in a tight situation. Like placing a load of something in a narrow utility trailer with a rail around the bed.

Is there a best all around fork size? What do y’all have? Do you ever wish you had more than one size or a different size?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
4" X 42" here. I had the tines before I purchase the Artillian carriage.
I can say with confidence that if I haven't bent mine you'll probably be just fine with either.

BTW, I have the 3" x 24" also and I haven't bent them either.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Curious about everyone’s length and width... ?

Get your mind out of the gutter, we’re talking about Pallet Forks! Or utility forks, whatever you like to call them.

I’ve decided on Artillian because everyone raves about their quality. And because I really want the 2” receiver hitch that’s built in to the fork frame. They’ll be used on a 2038R with a 220R loader.

I can see the advantage of a long and skinny (3”x42”) fork for digging things up but will it bend easier when under high stress? If weight isn’t a factor would a 4” wide fork be better? I can see how a short fork would more easily maneuver in a tight situation. Like placing a load of something in a narrow utility trailer with a rail around the bed.

Is there a best all around fork size? What do y’all have? Do you ever wish you had more than one size or a different size?
Granted, my sample size is pretty small for only having the tractor about 6 months.
I have the Frontier AP12F pallet forks, with 48" tines. I wanted to finance with the tractor, that's the only reason I went with Frontier instead of another brand (I really like what I've read about the Artillian as well).
The forks have been great, and I haven't had any real problems with them.
That being said, I wish I had the 42" tines. On everything I've done (once again, only had the tractor a few months), I haven't used the whole tine length.
The extra maneuverability would be nice.
As far as tine width, I'd have to go home and measure, this wasn't an option presented to me when I bought.
Good luck! I'm interested to see what the more experienced folks on here have to say.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have 4”x42”. I think they are the best all around size. I have used basically all sizes at work and while long forks are great when you need them, they can be a detriment. I contemplated going with 48” tines but if I had it to do again, I would go 42” again. Hope this helps. You will love this attachment. It’s arguably the best implement for one of these tractors.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I have the 42 inch Frontier AP11F. It’s the lighter ones. Not as strong as the 12’s, but plenty strong enough for our small tractors. I would LOVE to have a set of 24 inch forks. Me and rocks have a war going on.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have AP12F forks. I have about $20 in this hitch receiver mod.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ive had and still have 36" forks on mine. I just got a set of used 42" last weekend. I really wanted 48" but these will do. I have some longer pallets and the 36" were almost too short. I have my forks on my loader 75% or more of the time than my bucket. Grab a pallet and you have a working table anywhere you need it!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have AP12F forks. I have about $20 in this hitch receiver mod.
Ohhhh I really like that idea. I have the HLA forks, I wonder if I could somehow add a receiver hitch to them like you did.
I have the KBOH receiver hitch on my bucket, which is great. But I wonder if it would be easier to see and use with that on the forks. Interesting.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
I have the Artillian fork setup with the 42" x 3" tines. Those are the "all round general purpose" tines and they work well. I mostly move pallets but I've also used them to move an entire stone wall one stone at a time. And some of those stones were big enough that I could only lift them an inch or two off the ground.

I think the longer forks probably help if you are picking up piles of brush or dealing with pallets that are longer than standard but otherwise, it's just extra length you don't need. If I was doing a lot of digging (stones, stumps, etc..) I'd go with the 36" forks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ohhhh I really like that idea. I have the HLA forks, I wonder if I could somehow add a receiver hitch to them like you did.
I have the KBOH receiver hitch on my bucket, which is great. But I wonder if it would be easier to see and use with that on the forks. Interesting.
I have both a frame mount hitch and a 3 pt hitch for the rear of the tractor but having this in the front makes it so much easier to see what you're doing while maneuvering a trailer. And the forks/ballast box are on the majority of the time so fork mounted is more convenient for that reason too. I welded the hitch tube off center to make room when putting in the hitch pin.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Forks,,,?? ,,, DIY,, or go home!! :flag_of_truce:

I have two pieces of 3X6X3/16 rectangular tube,, 10 feet long, that slip over the forks.
It is amazing what I can move with those two tubes,,,

I can reach over 20 feet high, and have set 40 foot long steel "I" beams with it.

Get a piece of tube that can slip over your fork.
You will be surprised how often you use them.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the Titan 36" forks and I wish I had gone with 42" so I could see the tips better. I unload pallets weekly from the back of a Fed-Ex trailer and the extra length would come in handy.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have the Titan 36" forks and I wish I had gone with 42" so I could see the tips better. I unload pallets weekly from the back of a Fed-Ex trailer and the extra length would come in handy.
You may have already done something similar... I painted the tips of my forks JD yellow. It really helps me see them, and seems to help me with depth perception. I sometimes leave the forks on when I'm dragging my riding arena, and I haven't hit a fence rail since I painted the fork tips.

·
Premium Member
13,835 Posts
My thoughts exactly, sure would be nice to be able to see the tips. I’ll probably buy a set of 42’s some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
You may have already done something similar... I painted the tips of my forks JD yellow. It really helps me see them, and seems to help me with depth perception. I sometimes leave the forks on when I'm dragging my riding arena, and I haven't hit a fence rail since I painted the fork tips.
Thanks Doc, I hadn't thought of that but I will be doing it this weekend. I'll put it to use on Tuesday when my shipment comes in.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I think you will find that the actual fork component is the most rugged part of the assembly. I believe any fork sold for lifting is heat treated alloy and 100% inspected for cracks before leaving the manufacturing facility. They are extremely difficult to bend.

The frame is more likely to yield and deform if improper leverage is applied.

I purchased Artillian myself despite the very steep price and I don't regret it. I got the 36" length and can do plenty with them, but if given a do over I would get 42".
I would also recommend getting the newer backrest extension they sell separately. It is easily removable but I found I leave it on all the time.

Shorter forks are better for digging, and long forks are better for pickup loading.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I have the 42" Titan forks with the tall backrest and am very happy with them . Leave them on loader all the time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts