Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My wife and I will be moving out to our new house in a few months. I'll be taking over 450 feet of gravel driveway. I'm sure my 3320 is up to the task but I haven't bought anything yet for snow removal.

What would you recommend?

I've spoke to my dealer about a quick connect snowblower but he said there about $5500. Ouch!!! A 3pt hitch blower is a little cheaper and could be another option.

I'm also considering a front blade or back blade with hydro angle.

Is there anything else you can use a front blade for besides clearing snow? It would be nice to get something I could use year around.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Hi ElWood
Not much else you can do with a plow,or even a blower for that fact. Snow removal is kind of a one tool thing. The only thing I can think of that would be a year 'round deal would be using your FEL,but that's not really the best idea either. They don't "give" like the blades are made to do. As for the blade,IMO,the "little made to fit all" 54" snow blade would be much too small for your 3320. Heck,it's even too small for the 2000 series. Kennyd and myself have modified 380A blades on our tractors.:) If a blade is what you decide on,the JD 74 or 84 series (replaced the older 380-390) would suit your tractor well. They can be pinned to be used like a dozer blade too.

Maybe some insight from this thread.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/5648-snow-plowing-whatcha-using-year.html

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
A front plow / rear snow blower is a great setup. Quickly plow the light stuff and still have a blower for the big drifts / heavy snow falls.

I use a front blower on my 1026. I also have a plow on my ATV for the light stuff.:thumbup1gif:

I was going to put a plow on my truck. But after a friend of mine was unable to open my driveway with his 3/4 ton plow truck I bought the 1026 with the 54" blower. I have gone though drifts taller than the drift cutters with little fuss. :thumbup1gif:

What works best depends on how much snow / drifting you get.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Front blade works for me here in S.E. MI., but if I remember correctly you being in the northern lower MI snowbelt you might consider snowblower/blade combo, especially with that loooong road.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I plan on using a 54in blade to do the snow removal with my 318. In response to what else you can use a blade for, I used mine to help dig some ditches this summer.

IMG_0418.jpg

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have always had the front loader/rear blade setup for snow here with my 2520. Last December I got a used 2305 and also picked up a used 54 front blade..

·
Registered
131 Posts
After a crazy winter last year I decided to open up my options for snow removal.

54" front blade with hydraulic angle
72" rear blade with offset
Loader
Rear box blade

It's sort of like a choose your own adventure!

·
Premium Member
10,137 Posts
I had 500 yards of drive plus turnouts at our place in Montana.

I primarily used the 54" blade for most of the work. If I had to pick one, I'd start with a good front blade.

I learned the hard way that the 47" blower doesn't like gravel. :thumbsdown: You have to get a good hard pack of snow over the gravel for the blower to work the best. Problem was we got snow before the ground froze.... What I found worked the best is if the snow was deep (over 10") I used the blower but kept it up 4" or so, then went back with the blade.

For drifts, as someone else posted, you can't beat the blower. If drifts are a problem and you can't mitigate them with snow fencing, you might consider the blower as well.

Once we finally got a good hard pack on the drive the blower did a much better job, but unless we got a deep snow, I just used the blade.

The powder we got in Montana was a lot easier to handle than the heavy/wet snow you'll get.

If you use the back blade, make sure you can put some weight on it otherwise it will ride up over the snow (no down force).

If you have a FEL, they make a blade for it. If you have an area that you have to pile snow, a FEL mounted blade works very well.

One thing you'll want to do is make sure you maintain the drive before the ground freezes. Keep it smooth and you'll get the best performace from either the blade or blower.

Reactions: Artillian

·
Premium Member
10,137 Posts
After a crazy winter last year I decided to open up my options for snow removal.

54" front blade with hydraulic angle
72" rear blade with offset
Loader
Rear box blade

It's sort of like a choose your own adventure!
Rigged - It looks like you've got all the bases covered! :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
Reactions: ElWood

·
Registered
131 Posts
Rigged - It looks like you've got all the bases covered! :good2:
Absolutely! Ain't no way I'm breaking out my shovel...

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Depends on the snow! 314 w/49 blower or 420 w/54 blade. If needed, I have the 790 w/300 loader. ~~ Lowell

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
I survived just fine last year with the 5 foot rear blower, 5 foot rear blade, and the FEL. Someday I might consider a front plow blade if I find one that quick attaches without removing the loader.

IMG_8584.jpg IMG_8555.jpg

Those shots from last year were chilling to dig out, it won't be long until it starts all over again.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice set up :good2:
IMG_0614.jpg

I survived just fine last year with the 5 foot rear blower, 5 foot rear blade, and the FEL. Someday I might consider a front plow blade if I find one that quick attaches without removing the loader.

View attachment 22592 View attachment 22593

Those shots from last year were chilling to dig out, it won't be long until it starts all over again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I too have a long driveway (about 250 feet). I went with a rear mounted blower when I bought my 2210 for several reasons:

1. You don't lose the ability to use the loader. I might want to load or move something during the winter.
2. If I get a different tractor I can keep the blower. Front mounted blowers are kinda specific to the tractor (the brackets and stuff anyway).
3. You don't have to keep pushing the snow back every time you plow to make room for the next time it snows. The blower blows it far enough away.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a small driveway. Bought a 1026r to replace a x300 with front blower.
I did like the front mounted blower but after spending more then planned on the 1026, I found the almost $5500 front mount to be hard to swallow. Went with a $2000 54" 3pt model. Works great and I found the fel useful in the snow too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381894867.851041.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381894897.167056.jpg

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have used both and each has good points, bad points. I now have a blower and love it on how far it will throw the snow. I have ran into the same problems that rtgt stated.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Don't really get enough snow here to justify a one time a year implement, so it is just the FEL for me. Worked pretty good last year, maintained my driveway, my FIL's driveway and our shop parking lot.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts