Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if a gator looked good, would say 7 hundred and some hrs bother u to buy it?

one i had kinda picked out to go look at close by-said it had 4,580 miles on it, along with 758 hrs. is that a lot of miles for the hrs?

would the belt and clutch been replaced by this time on it?

does the valves in these motors need adjusted like other motors?

the only reason for looking at it-is because of the price, bench seat, and a full cab, don't know if it has a heater, but it does have power steering on it.

just curious -as i've not been around one at all. my aunts gator has been pretty much run all the time for the last 5 or 6 yrs without only having to change a gas filter once. it got regular oil changes over the yrs. she has put over 600 hrs on it. needs tires now.

so tell me ur thoughts about the life of the belt and clutch-ok. thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
:munch:

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
BigJim. My HPX has 1000 or 1100 hours on it. I have worked the hell out of it but I have changed the fluids, filters and perhaps the plugs twice. In that time I have put on a starter or 2, fuel pump and one of the dump solenoids. The valves do adjust And I did this at 1000 and 500. Other than that It has been absolutely trouble free. When I say work the hell out of it I mean we load it up and use it when the job requires it but also spends a lot of time putting around.

I really doubt the clutch would’ve been replaced and the belt would be iffy too

·
Registered
927 Posts
if a gator looked good, would say 7 hundred and some hrs bother u to buy it?

one i had kinda picked out to go look at close by-said it had 4,580 miles on it, along with 758 hrs. is that a lot of miles for the hrs?

would the belt and clutch been replaced by this time on it?

does the valves in these motors need adjusted like other motors?

the only reason for looking at it-is because of the price, bench seat, and a full cab, don't know if it has a heater, but it does have power steering on it.

just curious -as i've not been around one at all. my aunts gator has been pretty much run all the time for the last 5 or 6 yrs without only having to change a gas filter once. it got regular oil changes over the yrs. she has put over 600 hrs on it. needs tires now.

so tell me ur thoughts about the life of the belt and clutch-ok. thanks.
:hi: I think, with the right maintenance (and then the Gator looks good) 700+ hrs are no prob. My 550 has 600+ hrs with the first front tires :bigthumb: And the navigation system says, that the average speed is ~ 20 mph.

·
Corndog Hater
11,111 Posts
BigJim. My HPX has 1000 or 1100 hours on it. I have worked the hell out of it but I have changed the fluids, filters and perhaps the plugs twice. In that time I have put on a starter or 2, fuel pump and one of the dump solenoids. The valves do adjust And I did this at 1000 and 500. Other than that It has been absolutely trouble free. When I say work the hell out of it I mean we load it up and use it when the job requires it but also spends a lot of time putting around.

I really doubt the clutch would’ve been replaced and the belt would be iffy too
:hi: I think, with the right maintenance (and then the Gator looks good) 700+ hrs are no prob. My 550 has 600+ hrs with the first front tires :bigthumb: And the navigation system says, that the average speed is ~ 20 mph.

Do either of you have any idea of the total miles you've driven? jd rasentrac, I know you drive your's ALL OVER.:good2:

Like BigJim, I'm curious, and almost 5,000 miles seems like a lot to me, but I have nothing to compare it to.:unknown:

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I really doubt the clutch would’ve been replaced and the belt would be iffy too[/QUOTE]ok-Herminator-does ur machine have a mileage counter on it? in my mind i'm thinking at 5,000 miles the hrs is wrong-could it be possible to put that many miles on in that many hrs of work, playing, u know like just riding around a farm, checking fences looking at the cows?? me-all i'm gonna do is ride my back roads around our local mountain, looking for deer,, turkey's, etc., I KNOW THESE gas motors-or there called cherry motors are great. but i would like some maintenance records to back up my thoughts if the valves was adjusted, if the belt was replaced.
this one is $10,000--best price i've found for a cab, big horn tires, electric dump, etc., not afraid to spend that much on used-if......i don't have to pour another 3 or 4 grand at it then. might as well buy the new broom then.:dunno:

Do either of you have any idea of the total miles you've driven? jd rasentrac, I know you drive your's ALL OVER.:good2:

Like BigJim, I'm curious, and almost 5,000 miles seems like a lot to me, but I have:unknown: nothing to compare it to.
i thought that too-thats why i'm asking. i guess the best thing is to go look at it in person-so i suppose i better fire up the:pickup: for the ride. thanks fellas. later

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Herminator--got me a 1 pm appt. tomorrow to go look at this gator. called my dealer-asked sales guy to run serial number for me. originally it was sold in Mctoon, Il. by Allis tractor---is that town near u? i know i've been thru that town-because of the name.

anyways it was just bought in Hudson, Ky., @ Princeton something or he might of said Princeton tractor, in Hudson Ky:dunno:

i'm gonna look at it, drive it, and study a bit. won't be coming home with it-for sure. just looking :question: :creep: :munch:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
better leave your checkbook at home just to be safe

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
Our Honda Pioneer has over 1300 miles ,, sounds to me a lot of miles and hours.:dunno:

Leave the check book at home....:hide:

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
better leave your checkbook at home just to be safe
Our Honda Pioneer has over 1300 miles ,, sounds to me a lot of miles and hours.:dunno:

Leave the check book at home....:hide:
:nunu::nunu: i am -i am. this fella is kinda like a business of what goodworks tractor is. goes around buying the used stuff off the dealers lot-then resales it. plus he has a tree farm business too. i said can i just come look at it? he said sure but since he's a one man band-i had to make a appt., he said before he started that, people was in and out of his driveway all the time night and day-looking at the stuff. now everything is inside-and doors are locked till someone comes along.:dunno:

still leaning towards the new broom version.:good2:but i get out, and get to look around, and talk to a real person for a bit.:munch:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
still leaning towards the new broom version.:good2:but i get out, and get to look around, and talk to a real person for a bit.:munch:
You mean an 835r? I agree...a man of your stature should have one! You can't take it with you!

·
Corndog Hater
11,111 Posts
:nunu::nunu: i am -i am. this fella is kinda like a business of what goodworks tractor is. goes around buying the used stuff off the dealers lot-then resales it. plus he has a tree farm business too. i said can i just come look at it? he said sure but since he's a one man band-i had to make a appt., he said before he started that, people was in and out of his driveway all the time night and day-looking at the stuff. now everything is inside-and doors are locked till someone comes along.:dunno:

I think you’re thinking the right way....cautious, but exploring your options. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in, OK I'm throwing a wrench in. For the price of one of the new Gators with the cab and all the other goodies, it seems to me that a better buy would be to buy a new Jeep Wrangler. The price is about the same, plus one can drive the Wrangler on the road. Just thought I would ask.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in, OK I'm throwing a wrench in. For the price of one of the new Gators with the cab and all the other goodies, it seems to me that a better buy would be to buy a new Jeep Wrangler. The price is about the same, plus one can drive the Wrangler on the road. Just thought I would ask.:dunno:
I was JUST going to post this,,,
heck, I might buy my daughter a new vehicle, and take her 2007 Colorado that runs perfectly,,
it would be a win-win,,,
Surely the Colorado would outwork any Gator,,, better radio, better heat and AC,,,
and WAY more horsepower,,,

The Colorado is a manual transmission, it is way too much fun to drive,,

I think her Colorado looks WAY hotter than ANY Gator,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Plus the big fact is a Gator isn’t legal on roads - at least around here.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
ok-Herminator-does ur machine have a mileage counter on it? in my mind i'm thinking at 5,000 miles the hrs is wrong-could it be possible to put that many miles on in that many hrs of work, playing, u know like just riding around a farm, checking fences looking at the cows?? me-all i'm gonna do is ride my back roads around our local mountain, looking for deer,, turkey's, etc., I KNOW THESE gas motors-or there called cherry motors are great. but i would like some maintenance records to back up my thoughts if the valves was adjusted, if the belt was replaced.
this one is $10,000--best price i've found for a cab, big horn tires, electric dump, etc., not afraid to spend that much on used-if......i don't have to pour another 3 or 4 grand at it then. might as well buy the new broom then.:dunno:

i thought that too-thats why i'm asking. i guess the best thing is to go look at it in person-so i suppose i better fire up the:pickup: for the ride. thanks fellas. later
Herminator--got me a 1 pm appt. tomorrow to go look at this gator. called my dealer-asked sales guy to run serial number for me. originally it was sold in Mctoon, Il. by Allis tractor---is that town near u? i know i've been thru that town-because of the name.

anyways it was just bought in Hudson, Ky., @ Princeton something or he might of said Princeton tractor, in Hudson Ky:dunno:

i'm gonna look at it, drive it, and study a bit. won't be coming home with it-for sure. just looking :question: :creep: :munch:

I am a simple Country boy. Bought mine new in 2004 but they didn’t have spedometers then, just the hour meter.

Mine has the Kawasaki 2 cylinder in it, I think 20 or 22 hp and will run round 25mph but I rarely have a use for that speed. I am not sold on the Chery motor but base that only on a prejudice again Chinese motors, it may be the best motor ever but I don’t know. I think they are 3 cylinders with more power and speed but a little louder.

I don’t know that town but think you mean Matoon which is south. I am almost in the Wisconsin Territory.

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
Plus the big fact is a Gator isn’t legal on roads - at least around here.
From what I read and have heard no where in PA except private lands or your own property.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Well, I suppose you could say that about allot of things...Like instead of buying a new 1x or 2x series tractor for 18-25K, why not get a JD4020 for 12K? 100hp, a great machine all around, but you might find it's not quite as nimble or handy for mowing the yard:mocking:
Besides, are you sure a new wrangler could be had for 25K?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The yamaha rhino 660 has over 10k miles on it. The rhino 700 has about 8k with... 400 hours? not sure about that one but they are both working great. The 660 needs rings but other than that, if you take care of them, they run forever.

Obviously, rhinos are completely different animals.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
4580 miles for 758 hours is only an average of 6 mph. It would not be a big deal to me IF the price was right.

When I was truck shopping one dealer told me when he compares "like" trucks, if there is a mileage difference he figures $0.15/mile. So if one had 10,000 more miles he would figure it worth $1500 less.

I have NOT priced new Gators ( my 22year old Mule is still running fine), But if a new one is $20,000 and you can get it used for $10,000
if you value each mile at $1.50, take off $2290 for the miles and the rest, $7710 for depreciation/wear and tear. So to me $10,000 seems like a fair price, if NEW would cost me $20,000

I figure a truck will give 10x the miles, but cost 3 times as much. So $0.15/mile truck x 10 = $1.50 / 3 = $0.50/mile Gator. That's how I came up with my $0.50/mile for a Gator.

:kidw_truck_smiley: a new toy for BigJim :drinks:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts