Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is exactly is a "power beyond" kit and what does it do? I was under the impression that it is a continuous flow valve/system/thing, but if so, is it any different from a rear SCV that has a continuous flow option?

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
You are close...the PB kit provides a constant flow of hydraulic oil whenever the tractor is running, there is no "valve" to control it however. It is used to power devices tat have their own valves, such a backhoe or logsplitter.

The rear SCV (Selective Control Valve) is used to control cylinders. The continuous flow option is usually rated at less flow (GPM) than the PB kit since the fluid is flowing through the orifices and couplers of the valve body, that also generates some heat. On a compact tractor, it would have very limited use IMHO.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are close...the PB kit provides a constant flow of hydraulic oil whenever the tractor is running, there is no "valve" to control it however. It is used to power devices tat have their own valves, such a backhoe or logsplitter.

The rear SCV (Selective Control Valve) is used to control cylinders. The continuous flow option is usually rated at less flow (GPM) than the PB kit since the fluid is flowing through the orifices and couplers of the valve body, that also generates some heat. On a compact tractor, it would have very limited use IMHO.
Thanks!

So if you were powering a log splitter that ran off of continuous flow hydraulics, would you be able to power it with either? If so, which would be better? Logic says power beyond, since it's a higher flow, but would it be too much, since it's meant for a back hoe?

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
For a logspliiter you should use the PB, less heat and faster action are the main reasons.

So if you were powering a log splitter that ran off of continuous flow hydraulics, would you be able to power it with either?
Do you mean "operate" it from either? If so then no, not really.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a logspliiter you should use the PB, less heat and faster action are the main reasons.

Do you mean "operate" it from either? If so then no, not really.
I meant power it, as in provide the hydraulic flow that makes it work. What do you mean? No, the continuous flow of a rear SCV wouldn't be enough flow volume for it?

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
I meant power it, as in provide the hydraulic flow that makes it work. What do you mean? No, the continuous flow of a rear SCV wouldn't be enough flow volume for it?
I don't understand your question then...If you powering it from the SCV w/CF, then what other thing are you going to power it from in your "either" example?

So if you were powering a log splitter that ran off of continuous flow hydraulics, would you be able to power it with either?

That is my guess, plus as I wrote it will generate more heat-not a good thing.

My advice, FWIW, is if you want to power a backhoe or logsplitter is to use the PB option as I wrote in my first reply.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I meant could you power (provide hydraulic flow to make it work) something like a log splitter with either a PB or an SCV set to continuous flow?

If not, if it requires a PB...what do people use continuous flow mode on a rear SCV for?

My advice, FWIW, is if you want to power a backhoe or logsplitter is to use the PB option as I wrote in my first reply.
I don't have a PB, as I don't any use for a back hoe. I am just wondering what I can do with my rear SCV besides top and tilt, and was curious about continuous flow and how that differed from PB. Thank you for your answer!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I meant could you power (provide hydraulic flow to make it work) something like a log splitter with either a PB or an SCV set to continuous flow?

If not, if it requires a PB...what do people use continuous flow mode on a rear SCV for?
You can use either the PB or SCV with CF to power a log splitter or similar. The PB will do it better, but if you already have/need the SCVs then you might as well use that instead of the added cost of the PB.

PB is the same as SCV with CF enabled functionality. It just isn’t optimized for that mode so less efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
A good application would be a spreader or a hydraulic sickle mower.

Powering a log splitter from the power beyond of a 2 series would be like watching latex paint dry.

Powering a log splitter from an SCV would be like watching oil based paint dry.

A continuous flow SCV saves you the trouble of holding the lever for things you want to run continuously.

Power beyond is just a power supply for things that have their own control valves.

Like Kenny said...I just wanted to repeat it a different way so it would have a better chance of sinking in:nunu:

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
I am not expert on this but a compact really doesn’t flow much, only around 5gpm. Older skid loaders flow around 10gpm, newer upwards of 20gpm through similar or in the case of older one the same couplers at similar pressures. I can see where the PB should have less restriction and less heat but would it really make a difference in speed for something like a log splitter since the gpm supply is not there.:dunno:

I am not asking to debate it, only to learn something.

·
Premium Member
10,664 Posts
I don't have a PB, as I don't any use for a back hoe. I am just wondering what I can do with my rear SCV besides top and tilt, and was curious about continuous flow and how that differed from PB. Thank you for your answer!
You can run a rear blade with a hydraulic angle cylinder or you could run a rear snow blower and use the SCV for either chute rotation or spout control (or do both by adding an electric diverter valve). You could also power a dump bed on a trailer. You can also run hoses to the front of the tractor and use the rear SCV to control a grapple (although manipulating the open/close isn't as handy as having a diverter on the SCV joystick).

As for Top 'N Tilt... you always hear that term together but I'm willing to bet there are far more folks just using a hydraulic top-link than there are using the full blown top and tilt cylinders.

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
I am not expert on this but a compact really doesn’t flow much, only around 5gpm. Older skid loaders flow around 10gpm, newer upwards of 20gpm through similar or in the case of older one the same couplers at similar pressures. I can see where the PB should have less restriction and less heat but would it really make a difference in speed for something like a log splitter since the gpm supply is not there.:dunno:

I am not asking to debate it, only to learn something.

You are correct, probably not much of a difference in flow to worry about, the heat buildup would be my biggest concern.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. Great info.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
You are correct, probably not much of a difference in flow to worry about, the heat buildup would be my biggest concern.

These are my thoughts correct where I am wrong.
In the continuous flow oil going either way flows through the spool valve.

In power beyond my thought was there is a pressure side but how is controlled?

Is the return side just open to the reservoir?

Oil just flows one way through the circuit and valves down stream direct it.:unknown:

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
These are my thoughts correct where I am wrong.
In the continuous flow oil going either way flows through the spool valve.
Yes

In power beyond my thought was there is a pressure side but how is controlled?
Its not, it flows whenever the pump (engine) is running.

Is the return side just open to the reservoir?
Generally it feeds the 3PH / Rockshaft valve.

Oil just flows one way through the circuit and valves down stream direct it.:unknown:
See above

·
Registered
155 Posts
See above
I have it on my 3033R and when I hook it up the connections are maked P (power) and T (tank).

Log splitter works good.

3PH wont work at all. I was told by JD dealer that it was the way it is.

Hooking it up and unhooking it requires turning tractor off.

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
I have it on my 3033R and when I hook it up the connections are maked P (power) and T (tank).

Log splitter works good.

3PH wont work at all. I was told by JD dealer that it was the way it is.

Hooking it up and unhooking it requires turning tractor off.
You CAN change it if you want the 3PH to work with your log splitter, it's just changing a few QD's around.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ya Kenny, but if I want the three point to work then the power beyond and splitter don't.

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Ya Kenny, but if I want the three point to work then the power beyond and splitter don't.
I can help you fix that....you just have to plumb in the splitter a different way, that's what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can help you fix that....you just have to plumb in the splitter a different way, that's what I was trying to say.
Sorry I missed this Kenny...

What do I need to do?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts