Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 15189 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Almost looks like an updated version of The Partridge Family bus. :lol:
I thought the life preserver and the flamingo were nice touches. Can't figure whether or not the solar collector is a passive hot water heater or solar electric. I think it might be Biden's campaign bus.

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
I think they got as far as they can with the excavators.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438996068.848444.jpg

Pretty amazing that they got nearly as much material out as they did.

·
Administrator
17,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I think they got as far as they can with the excavators.

Pretty amazing that they got nearly as much material out as they did.
Is that the new building on Demonbruen and 12th?

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
Is that the new building on Demonbruen and 12th?
5th and Church.

Downtown Nashville is booming right now. I can count 17 construction cranes from this view point.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
5th and Church.

Downtown Nashville is booming right now. I can count 17 construction cranes from this view point.
Yup. I don't know how they could bulldoze history any faster if they tried...I guess thy plan to destroy the legacy of the city the same way the city destroyed the legacy of country music.

I mean hey, everybody needs another high rise hipster condo complex...

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
Yup. I don't know how they could bulldoze history any faster if they tried...I guess thy plan to destroy the legacy of the city the same way the city destroyed the legacy of country music.

I mean hey, everybody needs another high rise hipster condo complex...
Bulldoze history? I don't see much of that happening? Are you talking about the fort on the river? It was literally rotted and falling apart. They are going to rebuild it.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Bulldoze history? I don't see much of that happening? Are you talking about the fort on the river? It was literally rotted and falling apart. They are going to rebuild it.
I'll have to go into more detail later, headed out right now. Short answer- RCA studio A on music row, and places where people have always gathered downtown like Sub Stop and the Noshville Deli. I used to buy alfalfa from the guy that owned Noshville, if it hasn't been hit yet I know it's slated to be.

It's typical Nashville. They were going to demolish the Ryman and RCA studio B until groups of citizens were able to save them. That was a long time ago though, they're far more willing to flex their "imminent domain" bs now...

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
I'll have to go into more detail later, headed out right now. Short answer- RCA studio A on music row, and places where people have always gathered downtown like Sub Stop and the Noshville Deli. I used to buy alfalfa from the guy that owned Noshville, if it hasn't been hit yet I know it's slated to be.

It's typical Nashville. They were going to demolish the Ryman and RCA studio B until groups of citizens were able to save them. That was a long time ago though, they're far more willing to flex their "imminent domain" bs now...
Welcome to any modern growing city. The studios were under-utilized and had several code violations that were not financially feasible to fix without rebuilding anyways, not to mention the asbestos in them. No modern recording outfit wanted to lease the buildings due to the condition. Can you blame the building owner for wanting to sell? Who wants to pay taxes on an empty building? If you want to save everything, go look at Memphis. It's filled with history, but because of the condition and the attitude there, businesses are leaving, people are moving away. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I love history as much as the next guy. But I don't believe we need to save everything every single country star touched just for nostalgia's sake either.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
A lot of building owners didn't want to sell- for example, the country music hall of fame was told their building was being purchased for the music city center and they would have to leave. It was only after public outcry that they were given space in the new building.

Cities will always grow and change, and there will always be an old stick in the mud that gripes about it. :bye:

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
The original CMHOF didn't own the building. The building owner was offered a huge pile of cash. Let's do the math here.

It wasn't that long ago that I had to "sign the death warrant" for a old wooden elevator on 2nd ave. It was a winding drum elevator (think winch) installed in the 30's. It was entirely made of wood and it's an integral part of the building. The building is nowhere close to plumb or square, lots of rotten or missing boards, the masonry is in disrepair in areas, and the electrical system there is very scary. Heck, the entire high voltage controls, fuses, relays are all out in the open exposed to anyone walking by it. The elevator manufacturer went out of business decades ago, the shaft, well there is no shaft,is just an open hole in the floors. The machine was crooked and looked like it was coming off it's mounts. It couldn't be used as an elevator anyways because winding drums were outlawed decades ago as well. It was time. The crack in a structural wooden frame member sealed the deal. Nobody would certify a piece of wood, let alone find the quality of wood used back then, to use on a structural member on an elevator. I can't and won't touch it. But it is super cool to see it and check it out.

Yeah, it's sad. The elevator was cool. The building has been there for over 100 years right on the river. But it was time. It needs to go. The building needs to be repaired, brought up to code, and the elevator replaced to make the building usable again. Right now, the entire place is a death trap.

Sorry for the derail.....

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
The original CMHOF didn't own the building. The building owner was offered a huge pile of cash. Let's do the math here.

It wasn't that long ago that I had to "sign the death warrant" for a old wooden elevator on 2nd ave. It was a winding drum elevator (think winch) installed in the 30's. It was entirely made of wood and it's an integral part of the building. The building is nowhere close to plumb or square, lots of rotten or missing boards, the masonry is in disrepair in areas, and the electrical system there is very scary. Heck, the entire high voltage controls, fuses, relays are all out in the open exposed to anyone walking by it. The elevator manufacturer went out of business decades ago, the shaft, well there is no shaft,is just an open hole in the floors. The machine was crooked and looked like it was coming off it's mounts. It couldn't be used as an elevator anyways because winding drums were outlawed decades ago as well. It was time. The crack in a structural wooden frame member sealed the deal. Nobody would certify a piece of wood, let alone find the quality of wood used back then, to use on a structural member on an elevator. I can't and won't touch it. But it is super cool to see it and check it out.

Yeah, it's sad. The elevator was cool. The building has been there for over 100 years right on the river. But it was time. It needs to go. The building needs to be repaired, brought up to code, and the elevator replaced to make the building usable again. Right now, the entire place is a death trap.

Sorry for the derail.....
Yeah, sure! :munch: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,946 Posts
I saw this on another forum today and thought it was funny.............

Daughter to Father.jpg

Thought I'd share it for a chuckle.

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
What kind of snake is it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks Like a Copperhead

41 - 60 of 15189 Posts