Green Tractor Talk banner

15381 - 15396 of 15396 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
What I saw last week in Lynchburg SC. Corn coming up pretty good, especially with the crazy amount of rain we've had.
IMG_20200527_092610.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
GPS coordinates are wrong on the photo. My date and GPS stamp is all whacky.

The actual
34.0010059, -80.1691236

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
We are right on the edge. Took it as we pulled out of the neighbor's pature after fishing his big pond.
Been through parts of the Flint Hills many times. I am about 90 miles east of there near the eastern edge of KS.

Dave

·
Registered
755 Posts
Stan, I've done some travelling in my time and have been in the deep woods of Maine where you literally can't see more than 30 feet in any direction. I've driven cross and seen exactly what "Thatguy" posted. Driving at 70/80 mph, you see nothing but flat and open, and then, waaaay in the distance you see a "lump". 20 minutes later you arrive at that "lump" and find it's a grove of trees with a house and usually a barn. Once passed that, flat and open again for another 1/2 hour/hour. It's a very diverse landscape in this here US of A !! Bob

·
Premium Member
4,881 Posts
I am just mesmerized by your photo. Living in the dense woods all my life I just can’t imagine see a view like that in person where you can see forever.
Lots of flatland in Northern Oklahoma, so I've seen some before, but nothing like the plains of Kansas. Made the wheat harvest up there one year, was driving truck from field to elevator. It's so flat, so few landmarks, that I kept getting lost. If you don't turn at "the crooked corner post", you're lost. It's also an experience to pull into a wheat field that's a mile square, as are those fields next to it. It's like an ocean of wheat.

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
Stan, I've done some travelling in my time and have been in the deep woods of Maine where you literally can't see more than 30 feet in any direction. I've driven cross and seen exactly what "Thatguy" posted. Driving at 70/80 mph, you see nothing but flat and open, and then, waaaay in the distance you see a "lump". 20 minutes later you arrive at that "lump" and find it's a grove of trees with a house and usually a barn. Once passed that, flat and open again for another 1/2 hour/hour. It's a very diverse landscape in this here US of A !! Bob
I have this yearn to see some places like pictured.

Now with that being said I would like to “see” and feel what’s it’s like but doubt I would want to relocate to an area like that. I am just so used to my trees and mountains!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Stan, Go for it !! Plan on at least 2 weeks and, "head West young man, head West!" If you don't have GPS, get one. They're great for locating food, gas, and lodging. A pocket full of money, a tank of gas, and just enjoy the wonders of this beautiful country. You'll see & feel things you've only seen in photos...and old western movies! Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Come in late March/Early April. Thats is pasture burning season. 2.6 million acres burned in the Flint Hills this year. You can go from smoke column to smoke column and it will be black from horizon to horizon. This is me burning our place this spring.
20200331_143135.jpg

One of my favorite drives is to get off the Kansas Turnpike at Cassoday and drive Highway 177 to Council Grove. There is alot of topography change in the hills.

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts
Still starts on the first pull and keeps the mosquitoes at bay. Clears up after a couple minutes and oddly enough doesn’t use much oil. Don’t worry the smoke is torq gard.
B2FD7BEB-FA03-4B3E-A96B-9A7C45260B38.jpeg

Got caught up in a traffic jam earlier.
C7325320-8762-43D2-9469-73EC8951A3D6.jpeg

15381 - 15396 of 15396 Posts