Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3038e( no rear SCV valve) and am at 8000' altitude(power loss). I'm thinking a 5' rear tilting blade would do the job, is the 3038 stout enough to move all that dirt ? I'm pretty new to tractors. Is there a better implement to think about? My idea was to start across the 25 degree slope with the blade level to start creating a levelpad, and then working my way down the hill to get the pad going. Any comment suggestions will be appreciated - thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,377 Posts
I use a 5' rear blade with my 2032R all the time so a 3038E should have no problem handling one but.... Blade size isn't everything. Moving loose "dirt" is very different than moving rock, sand, etc.. What does this area of land consist of?

If you're going to be breaking ground for this, you'd probably find that a 5' box blade would get the job done much faster. A box blade has scarifiers to dig into compacted ground and break it up so that the "box" can then move the loosened soil. Once you get things close to level, you can pull the scarifiers up and just use the box to finish leveling.

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wow, quick response, thank you! I thought of a box blade but then I would be working with the slope, instead of carving it out. Or do they have tilting box blades? The ground is virgin, packed dirt, I guess it's called decomposing granite, no rocks, native grasses and occasional sagebrush.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Full size track hoe....

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
wow, quick response, thank you! I thought of a box blade but then I would be working with the slope, instead of carving it out. Or do they have tilting box blades? The ground is virgin, packed dirt, I guess it's called decomposing granite, no rocks, native grasses and occasional sagebrush.
You could do that with a box blade by adjusting the one lift link on the 3 point, but have you considered having someone come in a dozer? It would take a good dozer operator very long at all.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I have a 3038e( no rear SCV valve) and am at 8000' altitude(power loss).
Isn't one of the main points of getting a turbo that you won't lose power at altitude?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Are you saying you will be going across the slope? I have 25 degree slopes and you won't ever catch me cross-slope on my 2032. Maybe the 3038 is that much more stable? But something to consider.

·
Administrator
18,802 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn't one of the main points of getting a turbo that you won't lose power at altitude?
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you will lose power at altitude regardless of what you have, but the turbo gives you more HP to negate some of that loss vs non turbo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
25 degree or 25% slope... cuz 25 degree thats excavator or dozer only territory
That is 25 degree(based on eyeball :( ) it's roughly 1/4 of 90 degree. I've been on it before and didn't feel any butterflies, I do have bio-ballast in the tires. I do want to make sure that as I'm cutting away the slope, my down slope tire is not on un-compacted soil. My property is about 25 miles from Laramie, and over the years I've learned folks charge a bunch of $$ to drive that distance. That was part of my reasoning on buying the tractor, to negate some of those costs and have a little fun - but yes safety is first.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There are a couple free inclinometer apps for smartphones so you could measure the slope, i have one called clinometer.

The other concern with clearing that big of a pad on a 25 degree slope is its going to leave you with quite the wall of dirt to retain. Assuming looking at the hill your pad is 60 wide and 50 deep, that means once you remove all that dirt, you will have a 23 foot tall wall of un-retained dirt. If your pad is 60 feet deep, that goes up to 28 feet. There will be a serious risk of collapse during excavation. That is a good reason right there to rent an excavator, so the machine (and hence the operator) is not directly under that wall.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you will lose power at altitude regardless of what you have, but the turbo gives you more HP to negate some of that loss vs non turbo.
" I think" most if not all turbo diesels compensate for the lower pressures at altitude with some form of boost controller and they regulate boost pressure with vanes or waste gates (also to prevent over-boost)........ so the power loss due to lower manifold pressure available at altitude is automatically compensated for up to a certain max altitude for the turbo

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
lots of good comments previous.....

if you decide to try to do the job you must have some form of tooth ripper if your on virgin ground......IE box blade rippers....toothed frount bucket....etc if its anything harder than wet soft dirt

also with any 4 wheeled tractor you will need to develop a level area as quickly as you can and then expand on that in all 4 directions

as mentoned before a track loader or dozer will show up ..build the pad...load up and leave and get home in one day easy

good luck let us know how it goes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are a couple free inclinometer apps for smartphones so you could measure the slope, i have one called clinometer.

The other concern with clearing that big of a pad on a 25 degree slope is its going to leave you with quite the wall of dirt to retain. Assuming looking at the hill your pad is 60 wide and 50 deep, that means once you remove all that dirt, you will have a 23 foot tall wall of un-retained dirt. If your pad is 60 feet deep, that goes up to 28 feet. There will be a serious risk of collapse during excavation. That is a good reason right there to rent an excavator, so the machine (and hence the operator) is not directly under that wall.
Thank you - great idea on the phone app!!! umm, yea, I knew it would be a pile of dirt, this is my homework part of the project, I need to get a more exact read on the actual slope to figure out those numbers - yes I cannot have an unsupported 23' high wall of dirt. Looking across the slope, it sorta looked like a 10' wall, but I have to get more exact details, that will answer IF I can do this, how much of a wall I will have, how much dirt I have to hide somewhere, and more of the scope of the project. The builder comes in June and the tractor is snowed in with 2-3' drifts right now. Yup, I have some homework to do..:laugh: thanks again!

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I didn't consider this when I first posted, but the smart thing to do would be to remove half of the dirt from the hill, and deposit it just downhill creating the outer part of your pad projecting out from the grade. That would cut the wall height in half, but would necessitate 2 retaining walls, one downhill and one uphill of the shop

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,693 Posts
I'm just following along, good info here.

cabinjimn, where in northern CO?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I didn't consider this when I first posted, but the smart thing to do would be to remove half of the dirt from the hill, and deposit it just downhill creating the outer part of your pad projecting out from the grade. That would cut the wall height in half, but would necessitate 2 retaining walls, one downhill and one uphill of the shop
If you are going to cut and fill you are going to want to terrace or step the downhill side flat before you add fill , otherwise first big rainfall and the whole works may slide downhill

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The site of my 45 foot wide, 57 foot long shed, was out of level by 6 feet, side to side,,

This is what leveled that area,

My 584 IH was not capable of doing that much earth moving.

99% of the work was done by the excavator, and he was level over the entire area within two inches when complete.
He did not use a transit, or other leveling tool,,

We checked the area with a transit when he left, so that we could get enough gravel to "level" the area, before the concrete was poured.

I do not think I could have ever leveled the area that close,,, some guys are just skilled.

In the pic, I had a drop off next to my driveway,, he eliminated it,, over a foot high drop, and 700 feet long.
That was another job my IH could not tackle.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
I always say get the right equipment and the job goes smooth. Add in a good operator and the job is correct and done fast. Any time you move a lot of dirt it needs to be done right to just pack it good to! I like watching a good operator work!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts