Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty peppy Core i7 desktop with 8GB of memory that I no longer use and I would like to load Linux. I tinkered with Linux quite a few years ago but have gotten away from it. I would like to load whatever the most popular mainstream distro is to re-familiarize myself with it.

What is the current most popular distribution that most folks are using and where is the best place to download the install images?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
linux mint is what my brother uses. it looks like windows.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have a pretty peppy Core i7 desktop with 8GB of memory that I no longer use and I would like to load Linux. I tinkered with Linux quite a few years ago but have gotten away from it. I would like to load whatever the most popular mainstream distro is to re-familiarize myself with it.

What is the current most popular distribution that most folks are using and where is the best place to download the install images?

Thanks!
Wow. Didn't expect that question on here.

I would recommend Ubuntu desktop. There are lots of users, and therefore lots of information on idiosyncrasies.

Tim

·
Registered
498 Posts
My recommendation for most new users with decent computers is the Cinnamon (not MATE) distribution of Mint. Quick good looking and familiar for most users.
One advantage of mint, from an everyday user perspective is that it less worried about being entirely open source so it includes some proprietary stuff (like Flash for instance) that other Linux distributions don't like to include. Not that you can't add them you just need to jump through more hoops.

·
Premium Member
12,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the helpful responses. Looks like the linuxmint.com site is down - not a good start. :)

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Ubuntu has a very large user community, I would look at it and either CentOS or Fedora, both Free versions of Red Hat. Personally I'm partial to CentOS, but which ever you choose, spend some time learning how to harden the OS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
I appreciate the helpful responses. Looks like the linuxmint.com site is down - not a good start. :)
Odd... works fine for me at this time...

·
Premium Member
12,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Odd... works fine for me at this time...
Seems to be working here too now. Not sure why it wouldn't come up earlier, all other websites were fine.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Ubuntu is probably one of the more popular ones. I use Kali and Tails. However those are more for people in my line if work.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
i would not recommend kali for normal use. if you wanna be a hacker, then yes, kali is good.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
i would not recommend kali for normal use. if you wanna be a hacker, then yes, kali is good.
Yeah I agree.

I use kali for pen testing at work. This fills the gaps between annual sec audits performed by outside consultants. Basically monthly self audits. You have to know the tools the bad guys are going to use against us. Same goes for Tails. Not really for your average user but another one of the distributions I keep around.

·
Premium Member
12,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ubuntu is probably one of the more popular ones. I use Kali and Tails. However those are more for people in my line if work.
I appreciate the input. I'm in the IT field myself. I was a hard core UNIX support person back in the day. 99% command line as none of my customers used GUIs like X-Windows. But then over time UNIX started to lose favor and a lot of workloads slowly shifted over to Windows-based servers. When Linux started to enter the scene my job responsibilities had shifted such that I didn't have much need to use it. I have plenty of Windows desktops and laptops but would just like to tinker around with Linux a bit as I'm sure a lot has changed since I last sat in front of a $ prompt.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another vote for Ubuntu. I rebuilt a desktop for my kids (ages 4 and 6 at the time) to use, and they get along just fine. Looks a lot like Windows.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Honestly you need to try them all out. I'm partial to Fedora at home, because I manage CentOS at work. Never been a fan of Debian based distributions.

It's all up to preference. There's no correct answer.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Honestly you need to try them all out. I'm partial to Fedora at home, because I manage CentOS at work. Never been a fan of Debian based distributions.

It's all up to preference. There's no correct answer.

You are apparently not aware of how many hundreds of distributions there are. :)

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
You are apparently not aware of how many hundreds of distributions there are. :)
That is ambitious! If one were to try a couple distros say ubuntu, compared to a CentOS/Fedora, as TickTock was perhaps implying; one particular flavor may have greater appeal than another.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would recommend either Mint, Ubuntu, or my personal favorite flavor of Linux, Elementary OS. Elementary has a Mac feel to it, and as a primary Mac user I really enjoyed it. Like the others have stated, if you're after more of a Windows feel, definitely go with Mint.

1979 John Deere 2640
Woods RD8400
7' Rear Blade

·
Registered
592 Posts
:) Actually I am aware of that. I meat to try the suggestions above.

I've used Linux since 1993 and started with Slackware 1.00. It is amazing how far we have come, especially since XFree86.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts