Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking up some parts for a E170 lawn tractor I came across P/N BUC10510 which is described as a "Bluetooth Kit". Anyone know what Bluetooth would be used for on a E170?

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
The new RIO APP? :lolol:

Seriously though I have NO idea!

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new RIO APP? :lolol:

Seriously though I have NO idea!
Sometimes we joke about all the bells and whistles they are putting on these machines. It's starting to get like the cars these days. Maybe it is a "phone home" feature similar to what is on the JD big iron. The machine calls home using your phone as a gateway. :-?

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Interesting that it is wired into the ignition switch. Maybe they plan on getting rid of those special red racing keys and allow you to use your smartphone as a key? :laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting that it is wired into the ignition switch. Maybe they plan on getting rid of those special red racing keys and allow you to use your smartphone as a key? :laugh:
I just figured that was an easy way to get power and have it turn on/off with the tractor (plus it makes installation a breeze). I've searched on-line and checked the E-series brochure and accessories brochure and can't find any mention of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I just figured that was an easy way to get power and have it turn on/off with the tractor (plus it makes installation a breeze). I've searched on-line and checked the E-series brochure and accessories brochure and can't find any mention of it.
Yeah, no idea what the plan is. They might very well plan on doing away with actual keys and selling a fob to carry in your pocket like cars use nowadays. Those are all bluetooth.

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Ok.. The bluetooth module works with the MowerPlus phone app. For 100 series and S240 machines. I am not up to speed on MowerPlus. Maybe someone can explain it. No price listed. Not sure if it is even able to be ordered. But there are 387 in the system. So... Someone order this thing and do a review!! Lol

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,
I found a news articel from JD´s website about the app:
JohnDeere Introduces App to Track Lawn Care and Maintenance

Seems to be a pretty nice app! (for free). Might be quite usefull for some people out there...

You are absolutely right xcopterdoc, would be really nice if somebody would do a review on that!:good2:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I use the mowerplus app regularly, not only for lawn care, but bush hogging as well.

I'll bet the module is for remote starting or something since it hooks to the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the mowerplus app regularly, not only for lawn care, but bush hogging as well.

I'll bet the module is for remote starting or something since it hooks to the ignition switch.
I hope not! The last thing anyone needs to worry while maintaining a piece of lawn equipment is remote starting! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Ok.. The bluetooth module works with the MowerPlus phone app. For 100 series and S240 machines. I am not up to speed on MowerPlus. Maybe someone can explain it. No price listed. Not sure if it is even able to be ordered. But there are 387 in the system. So... Someone order this thing and do a review!! Lol
UGH! I downloaded the app and installed it on my Android phone. One of the first things it wants you to do is go scan the barcode on your machine to get it's model/serial number. They tell you to look on the front axle for the serial number plate but mention that on "older machines" the plate might be on the back end somewhere. Apparently it can't scan the barcodes on the D1xx machines and it failed on my D160.

They can't even make an app that can scan the serial number correctly? It seems like this app was designed to be used for the new E1xx machines.

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They can't even make an app that can scan the serial number correctly? It seems like this app was designed to be used for the new E1xx machines.
I just manually entered the S/N from what I had written in the owner's manual - much easier. But I've already given up on the app after just two mows. Both times it stopped communicating or lost signal or something and showed that the tractor stopped mowing half way through the session.

After mowing for over 40 years without an app I just don't need this complexity in my life right now. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I suppose when you load the app JD will start pinging your phone every few hours of mower service reminding you to buy this and buy that. I don't know give me a pencil and ole paper manual any day

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
I have used mower plus last year and this year. I just checked and I have 74 mows with it. It has always worked excellent and never failed to do what it should.
Here are my findings.
1. I am almost always within a minute of the same time on 5 different lawns I have mowed more than twice.
2. On the 2 lawns I mow weekly I can mow like normal or try to absolutely try to cut every second out or really take it easy. I was very shocked to see on a half hour typical job I can only add or subtract about 2 minutes.
3. It is interesting to see what my average speed is and acres mowed.
4. I do not use it for maintenance, just my regular marker board in the shop. It could be useful for this but I usually do maintenance sooner than the normal interval. Ie: I grease the deck when I unhook it and it only has a few grease zerks on the tractor. I remember the days of how hard it was to remove the deck so my habit of greasing the tractor then remains.
5. In reality it is more of a curiosity than helpful. If I mowed lawns or blew snow and charged for it I can see where it would be very helpful for records and time vs. money comparisons.
6. I found blowing snow takes much less time than it feels like.
7. It does not use Bluetooth. That must be for something else

·
Registered
49 Posts
7. It does not use Bluetooth. That must be for something else
Maybe its a USB port(looks like it on the picture) so that you can charge your phone while mowing for examlpe? Would be nice!:good2:

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe its a USB port(looks like it on the picture) so that you can charge your phone while mowing for examlpe? Would be nice!:good2:
Doubt it. Look closer at the illustration, the BT module is under the dash behind the ignition switch. They just piggyback it onto the ignition switch.

Like this:

[ignition switch] -> [Bluetooth module] -> [wiring harness connector].

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Doubt it. Look closer at the illustration, the BT module is under the dash behind the ignition switch. They just piggyback it onto the ignition switch.

Like this:

[ignition switch] -> [Bluetooth module] -> [wiring harness connector].
Maybe it tracks key on time

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yeah, no idea what the plan is. They might very well plan on doing away with actual keys and selling a fob to carry in your pocket like cars use nowadays. Those are all bluetooth.
This, though I'm thinking more along the lines of what is know as multifactor authentication in computer technology. I'm imagining a system where you need to have both a key and a cell phone app that provides an encryption key via Bluetooth for the tractor to start, overcoming the "one key fits everything" issue. Just spitballing here. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts