Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 trees in my yard have been decimated by whatever is doing this. All within the last two weeks. I have never seen any insects on the trees. I just come out to find the treet totally mutilated. I've also seen large trails of ants marching up this tree. I took care of the ant problem, but clearly the ants didn't do this. I suspect the ants were going after aphid honeydew, but my googling doesn't lead to this being aphid damage. Please help. What is doing this and what do I need to do to slaughter them?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bingo. Googled that and the images are a dead on match.

I just did a broadcast treatment of Talstar on Sunday morning with my 40 gallon boom sprayer towed behind the 425. Applied at 1oz/1000sqft across the whole yard, plus the garden beds and I hosed down the trees I could reach. I did it mainly for ants, ticks, etc. It looks like Talstar will kill adult Japanese Beetles too, so I hope I dealt a major blow to the population. If not, this is war and I intend to win.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

I just did a broadcast treatment of Talstar on Sunday morning with my 40 gallon boom sprayer towed behind the 425. Applied at 1oz/1000sqft across the whole yard, plus the garden beds and I hosed down the trees I could reach. I did it mainly for ants, ticks, etc. It looks like Talstar will kill adult Japanese Beetles too, so I hope I dealt a major blow to the population. If not, this is war and I intend to win.
i use Talstar almost exclusively for Japanese beetles. Here's a trick i learned. Set out a few Japanese beetle bags with the attractant. Spray your plants with the Talstar. Watch the bags fill up lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Those bags are amazing!!! They work so well!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Preventing beetles

i use Talstar almost exclusively for Japanese beetles. Here's a trick i learned. Set out a few Japanese beetle bags with the attractant. Spray your plants with the Talstar. Watch the bags fill up lol.
Lots of treatments but one thing that actually helped me was cutting the lawn slightly higher. I read that somewhere and have tried it and over time the number of beetles declined dramatically. I try to cut at 3" height unless there is some real need for a lower cut.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

Talistar does work, just don’t spray it on any crop you intend to eat-fruit or vegetable. It’s instructions say not to harvest or consume any plant you spray.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Talistar does work, just don’t spray it on any crop you intend to eat-fruit or vegetable. It’s instructions say not to harvest or consume any plant you spray.
No, strictly sprayed on ornamentals. JB's love our cannis and rose bushes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts