Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,845 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
Funny, when I first saw this thread & photo the thought "JD350" popped into my head. Why? I really don't know. Always did appreciate the functionality of a small dozer though. My friend has an old IH TD6 that is about the same size. Much older though. Still runs great though.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dozer

Funny, when I first saw this thread & photo the thought "JD350" popped into my head. Why? I really don't know. Always did appreciate the functionality of a small dozer though. My friend has an old IH TD6 that is about the same size. Much older though. Still runs great though.

You can enlarge the photo and see the Model Number but does not look like a 350. I will take you guys word on that What about a fair price. I know the can is both a good and bad thing any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,057 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My BIL had an old TD-9 in the early 1970's,,
we thought it was itty-bitty because the other dozer in the family was an A-C HD10,,,:dunno:
The HD10's two-stroke diesel was an unstoppable beast.

A neighbor maintained logging and hunting roads with a JD 350,, it was perfect for that,,,

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Thanks for the info Any idea on a reasonable price??
The one in the link a few posts up was $9500 CDN right?

Here is another at $9500 US. http://m.machinerytrader.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=construction&listingId=11387597&categoryId=1026

Looks like JD Greenmark in Sodus wants $9500 too, though they say it's a '72. http://m.machinerytrader.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=construction&listingId=11286207&categoryId=1026

This one is a 350-D for $13.5 K. http://m.machinerytrader.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=construction&listingId=11461221&categoryId=1026

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
The one in the link a few posts up was $9500 CDN right?

Here is another at $9500 US. http://m.machinerytrader.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=construction&listingId=11387597&categoryId=1026 this is probably going price here-why-cause of 6 way blade, very much in demand I think-well worth the money for it.

Looks like JD Greenmark in Sodus wants $9500 too, though they say it's a '72. http://m.machinerytrader.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=construction&listingId=11286207&categoryId=1026 this one is over priced unless....... it is very low hrs,...very-very low hrs. this dozer has no snow pads on at all, as neither does the one ur looking at. if at all possible u would like snow pads. they have a hole in the center of pad for mud or snow to fall thru so that the tracks can clean themselves, and helps the sprocket teeth from jumping inside of the bushings as the tracks go around. just my 2cts thou.

This one is a 350-D for $13.5 K. http://m.machinerytrader.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=construction&listingId=11461221&categoryId=1026
tony; this one can't be compared to the OP because it has swamp tracks on, and a 6 way blade, both which are worth way more money, just my 2cts-thou

I would offer the person $6,500 and see what they say. just think for that 3grand more, u could stay in seat and angle the blade, and have snow pads. big jim p.s I messed up here, cause I thought u posted these links to these dozers-sorry, hope u can read responces.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dozer

tony"]http://m.machinerytrader.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=construction&listingId=11461221&categoryId=1026[/URL]
tony; this one can't be compared to the OP because it has swamp tracks on, and a 6 way blade, both which are worth way more money, just my 2cts-thou

I would offer the person $6,500 and see what they say. just think for that 3grand more, u could stay in seat and angle the blade, and have snow pads. big jim p.s I messed up here, cause I thought u posted these links to these dozers-sorry, hope u can read responces.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply Big Jim I was stupid years ago after I bought the property. I bought a 440 that needed a steering clutch rebuild. I did it my self with great effort. The hardest thing was putting the final drive back in with that brass 6 inch long very thing sleeve. Got it back together and used it for years. took out a lot of brush and trees. Then on day heard a crack and a rock had gotten between the drive sprocket and the chain. It cracked the final drive housing where the bearing was. Could not locate the housing sol the dozer regretted it every since. If that 350 would be a s good as the 440 was it would be fantastic for the right price of course. I was told by a guy that has operated dozers all his life that swamp track will tear up a roller and drive system faster than anything. So when I happened by this one I was thinking maybe pull the trigger. Then the cab issue was in my head as to being good or bad. Tha tis why I posted and hoped to get some good advise. Thanks Jim and everyone

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dozer

tony"]http://m.machinerytrader.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=construction&listingId=11461221&categoryId=1026[/URL]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with the snow pads I had a 440 that had them. Sure a hydraulic 4 or 6 way blade would be nice. But funds are one issue the other is more to go wrong and a straight blade with the outside arm is stronger in pushing than a blade with the inside arms.

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
the other is more to go wrong and a straight blade with the outside arm is stronger in pushing than a blade with the inside arms.
I don't quite understand what you are saying .:dunno:
Are you saying there is more to go wrong with outside arms? :dunno: but go on to say outside arms are stronger than inside arms.

I have never owned or even operated a dozer, just trying to learn from this discussion. :bigbeer:

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dozer

I don't quite understand what you are saying .:dunno:
Are you saying there is more to go wrong with outside arms? :dunno: but go on to say outside arms are stronger than inside arms.

I have never owned or even operated a dozer, just trying to learn from this discussion. :bigbeer:
I have always been told that to do heavy work you want the outside arms For contouring and finish work you want the 4 or 6 way blade. There are less moving parts on a straight manual angle blade to wear and need attention. I have watched and talk with many operators here and they all seem to think for tree clearing and heavy work the outside ar blade is the best.NOt as easy to get around with but seem stronger

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
I have always been told that to do heavy work you want the outside arms For contouring and finish work you want the 4 or 6 way blade. There are less moving parts on a straight manual angle blade to wear and need attention. I have watched and talk with many operators here and they all seem to think for tree clearing and heavy work the outside ar blade is the best.NOt as easy to get around with but seem stronger
Then I would want the outside arms, so I can break things other than the dozer :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
4,845 Posts
When I was looking earlier I noticed that there were a couple of different blades mounted on these things. The majority seemed to be mounted on a system that is closer to what you'd see for a snow plow on a pickup (but heavier). I guess your explanation here clears up why that is. Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
I had a 350B and still have my 450E. The 350D in your picture is only a newer machine than the B Model. I had the 6 way blade and I will tell you this; that 350 is a strong machine, it's smaller for sure but in 1st gear you can push a lot in fact almost as, much as the 450 will. I sold mine for 6 grand. IT needed the right steering brake completely redone. The engine was strong and the reverser was in great shape. The blade was worn for sure but with a 6 way blade,, you get a lot of work completed in short order.. This blade is a manual blade so you need to know how to operate the machine to get grades etc. The front idlers were loose too, they do wear out. The guy that bought my dozer is still running it, he got a pretty good deal. You need to check out the hydraulics, the steering brakes, pull the stick out of the tank and see if there is rust on the stick because of sitting with low fuel then get ready to clean the glass fuel bowl on a regular basis. Start the engine and see if it hunts,, those dozers were known to have governor issues. Check the track chain for wear, a dozer that old will have some serious wear and in fact it may need a new chain, sprockets and all idlers. See if there is anything you can push on to see if the clutch screams in 1st gear if it does go elsewhere. I would say if it runs and the brakes work and the chain isn't that bad, offer 5-6 grand as someone stated. I have a pic on my page of what I sold, that machine ran for years and paid for itself many times over (paint was in pretty rough shape).. If you are interested I have a 450E in mint shape as you can see from my pics and I would sell it for 20K you pay trucking.. It is garaged and always has been, the 350B sat outside.. Jeff

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dozer

I had a 350B and still have my 450E. The 350D in your picture is only a newer machine than the B Model. I had the 6 way blade and I will tell you this; that 350 is a strong machine, it's smaller for sure but in 1st gear you can push a lot in fact almost as, much as the 450 will. I sold mine for 6 grand. IT needed the right steering brake completely redone. The engine was strong and the reverser was in great shape. The blade was worn for sure but with a 6 way blade,, you get a lot of work completed in short order.. This blade is a manual blade so you need to know how to operate the machine to get grades etc. The front idlers were loose too, they do wear out. The guy that bought my dozer is still running it, he got a pretty good deal. You need to check out the hydraulics, the steering brakes, pull the stick out of the tank and see if there is rust on the stick because of sitting with low fuel then get ready to clean the glass fuel bowl on a regular basis. Start the engine and see if it hunts,, those dozers were known to have governor issues. Check the track chain for wear, a dozer that old will have some serious wear and in fact it may need a new chain, sprockets and all idlers. See if there is anything you can push on to see if the clutch screams in 1st gear if it does go elsewhere. I would say if it runs and the brakes work and the chain isn't that bad, offer 5-6 grand as someone stated. I have a pic on my page of what I sold, that machine ran for years and paid for itself many times over (paint was in pretty rough shape).. If you are interested I have a 450E in mint shape as you can see from my pics and I would sell it for 20K you pay trucking.. It is garaged and always has been, the 350B sat outside.. Jeff

Thanks for the sales offer. I just miss my 440 it did a great job for what I asked of it. More than I should have. I do believe the older dozers were a lot better at pushing than the newer ones in the same size class

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
Thanks for the sales offer. I just miss my 440 it did a great job for what I asked of it. More than I should have. I do believe the older dozers were a lot better at pushing than the newer ones in the same size class
You are right and the weight has a lot to do with how much it can push too.. The 350B would spin the tracks if you tried to hard, the 450E pops stumps pretty darned good if you know what you are doing... It also makes quick work of a tri-axle dump load much better than the 350 did.. You can keep up with loads one after the other. Loved the 350B seeing how I bought that used in 1977 or so. That was my baby, however I bet it didn't think so! The 450E is so much quieter, smoother to operate and also has a turbo. Have a good one and good luck. Jeff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts