Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and started my Z710A this morning, which hadn't been started since October. It has a Battery Tender connect to keep the battery up. When it started there was this horrible "loud" on and off rattling noise coming from the rear down where the PTO is located. There is also a idler pulley located inches from the clutch, which makes me think it is the idler that need replacing. Everything on this tractor is factory original installed. With 289 hours on the meter gives me hope it's not the PTO clutch that is bad.

I've never really looked at the PTO and the pulleys and how they are installed, but, from what I can see it appears this is a rather difficult chore to replace. My JD Z7A Technical manual describes that the transmission(s) assembly has to be removed to replace the idler pulley.

Has anyone here faced that problem?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,094 Posts
A bad belt can cause a heck of a rattle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bad belt can cause a heck of a rattle.

That does make sense, due to the fact the belt was hot when the engine was shut down and all these weeks in the cold the belt has formed a loop. Sort like those old rayon tires back in the fifties when they had been setting on the ground for weeks when cold, and they would sound like they were flat when the car was moving.

Come the next warm day I will run the tractor for a few minutes and let the belt get it's running condition and listen for any rattle. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,094 Posts
That does make sense, due to the fact the belt was hot when the engine was shut down and all these weeks in the cold the belt has formed a loop. Sort like those old rayon tires back in the fifties when they had been setting on the ground for weeks when cold, and they would sound like they were flat when the car was moving.

Come the next warm day I will run the tractor for a few minutes and let the belt get it's running condition and listen for any rattle. Thanks for the suggestion.
I think I'd take a look at the belt first, maybe it has a cut in it. As you mentioned an idler should not be ruled out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What happened to mine.

Check for a wedgie in the v pulleys. Sticks and gum balls are good for that.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Purchased a 27 hr z655 from a friend. Got home engaged the blades terriable vibration and noise and about 5 minutes later the center blade flew off. The vibration also ruined the spindle. Got the parts new blades and all is well with no vibration. When talking to my friend a day later he informed me that he had the mower serviced last fall by dealer and had blades sharpened, etc. what I theorized happened is the blade was not installed center on the bolt and holder, thus offset vibrated and ruined the spindle and then the blade bolt broke off and slung the blade.

Did you have your blades off for any reason?

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll come back in here as it has been 8 months since I made the original posting. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary on the Z710A, like the PTO or the Idler pulley being bad. So, I found a old tube of belt dressing that I use on my old 1949 Ford 8N tractor fan belt. Must have been a dry belt of sorts as the belt dress did the trick in stopping the rattling noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts