Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Deere 665

Or the Frontier RT3062 OR RT3062R

I have never owned a tiller like this before, I am thinking gear driven is better then chain.

I would think the RT3062R would be better then the Rt3062 since it counter rotates pulling the tiller into the ground rather then possibly skipping over the top of it if rotating with the same direction as the tractor is pulling it.

I not sure if Deere still makes the 665. It does have the Deere brand on it, I would assume it is built by Deere.
Where the I have no idea who is building the Frontier tillers for them.

Anyone have a counter rotating tiller? Would love to know how you like any pro's or con's to consider?

Anyone know of a better tiller then these ?

Anyone know if Deere is still building the 665?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've used a 665 behind my 2032R, it's a very nice tiller. But all of these seem small for a 4066R, is there a reason you aren't looking bigger?

I personally prefer counter rotating, they will break sod if you need to, and if you have to till downhill they help to control your ground speed as opposed to pushing you down the hill.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I own a Wood 60" tiller that I use behind me 3025E. It is gear driven but I can't remember if its forward or counter rotating. A quick online search will tell you if interested.

I LOVE it so far. It seems very well built, and it was MUCH cheaper than the Deere (I looked at the same model) and it was even cheaper than the Frontier. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Deere or Frontier, but to me, the Woods does just as good of a job and was only $1,700 brand new.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used a 665 behind my 2032R, it's a very nice tiller. But all of these seem small for a 4066R, is there a reason you aren't looking bigger?

I personally prefer counter rotating, they will break sod if you need to, and if you have to till downhill they help to control your ground speed as opposed to pushing you down the hill.
That's what my Deere dealer was saying was counter rotating would likely be a better choice.

We also discused these two options I posted earlier. He told me the Deere 665 is chain driven and he verified the Frontier RT3062 and RT3062R were gear driven.

Which we both were thinking the gear driven might be better as well, even though we both believed historically a Deere built product was typically a better built product then Frontier.
This might be the exception to that rule .
You mentioned a 62-65" tiller might be to small. HP and ratings I am a little overkill with 60hp tractors but well within the rated spec of the these tillers. I think saw where they were 75hp rated gear boxes.
How large of tiller would you recommend.
I didn't want a whole lot wider incase I need to haul it somewhere. Best to stay under 78" to safely fit on the trailer behind the tractor.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That's what my Deere dealer was saying was counter rotating would likely be a better choice.

We also discused these two options I posted earlier. He told me the Deere 665 is chain driven and he verified the Frontier RT3062 and RT3062R were gear driven.

Which we both were thinking the gear driven might be better as well, even though we both believed historically a Deere built product was typically a better built product then Frontier.
This might be the exception to that rule .
You mentioned a 62-65" tiller might be to small. HP and ratings I am a little overkill with 60hp tractors but well within the rated spec of the these tillers. I think saw where they were 75hp rated gear boxes.
How large of tiller would you recommend.
I didn't want a whole lot wider incase I need to haul it somewhere. Best to stay under 78" to safely fit on the trailer behind the tractor.
I recall from a TTWT video, they talked to tiller manufacturers, and the reason gear drive is offered is public perception. The manufacturers see no difference in longevity or failure rate between the two.

Unless you have a narrow area you need to get into, I would get the biggest tiller I could afford, it will save you time in needing less passes. The other thing is, I'm not sure how wide a 4066R is, but you definitely want to cover your tracks with a tiller. I believe my 2032R is 59 inches wide, I'd be surprised if a 4066R isn't over 65.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found these videos.
A couple from Tim ( TTWT)
Seems he likes gear drives over chain, and also indicated more weight the better.

I cant seem to find any pricing or specs on the Deere website for the Deere 665 or 673 models.

I did find this video of a 673.
It looks like it is performing really well.

Here are some good videos I found with Tim offering his recommendations.

I was not able to find any reverse rotating RT3072Rs or RT3062Rs.

Also my research would not be complete if I didn't find two different spec recommendations for compatible HP ratings. The RT3062R in one place shows min/max PTO HP at 19-60 PTO hp and also on the JD website in the RT30 product lit PDF it shows min/max PTO hp at 24-60hp.
Only reason that might come in to play is that I do also own a 2025R that could potentially handle implements with a 19hp min. Not that I would use the 2025R for tiller work all that often, but would be nice to know I have that option. Especially if I need to get into a tight area to till something the 2025R could be my only option to get in there.

That video on the 673 talks about the extra weight of that Deere vs the Frontier, but this new Gear on gear drive Frontier RT30 series is heavier then the Deere 6 series tillers. This RT3062R weighs 690lbs and the RT3073R weighs 769lbs.
This compares to the 665's weight of 623lbs.

So far the Frontier RT3062R is less expensive, gear driven vs the 665's chain drive,
weighs more, and is available in reverse rotation for better soil penetration.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
My 4066R cab with R4 tires is 6ft wide. At least it was, until I added 5 1/2 inch rear spacers on each side.

Dave

Reactions: cc1999

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have yet to see a tiller video of any brand that didn't look like they did a good job.

I just bought a 6' Country Way tiller form Rural King for $1500 before tax. (yes it's made in china) It is a forward rotating gear driven tiller. Haven't used it yet.

Having to go through several steps to make sure it starts life off right. Rural King had assembled it and filled the gearboxes or so they said. All the 3pt bracket bolts were loose. The tiller gearbox was over filled and the PTO gearbox was under filled. I used some of the oil from the tiller gearbox to top off the other. The manual said to fill the PTO box half full. It is 6" deep and had 2" of oil in it so I had to add about 20 ounces. Both of the vent plugs were stuck closed. Had to spray some WD-40 in and open them with compressed air.

I cleaned it up with alcohol and put a coat of clear Rustoleum on it to slow down the rusting. It was secured to an angle iron frame for shipping and they even put vinyl tubing over the wire they used to tie it down.

The driveshaft is too short for using with my quick hitch but I'm hoping the extender I use with my brush mower will solve that issue. It may be too short to use standard. Haven't connected it yet. I still need to loosen all the slip clutch bolts and make sure the clutch is free then readjust it.

This is all stuff you should do and check no matter the brand. You just can't assume a dealer will set anything up right and things can be stuck from sitting.

I think they are phasing these out and going to King Kutter.

They have a 7' version for $1700 if you can find one in stock.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I own a 665 Deere tiller and love it.
I like the idea of it there where ever a problem in the gearbox you could find parts for it.
If RK or whoever change manufacturers, parts sourcing could get tough.

Land pride had a reverse till tiller at one time and they explained in the brochure that there is a screen or tines under the hood that deflect rocks right behind the tines, then the finer dirt gets cast through the screen to cover the rocks.
The reverse till was more than 30% more expensive at the time.

Another note:
Back before these compact tractors had so much horse power, you would pick one that got the horse power and offset the mount on the back overlapping the tire mark you left on the left side.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
The only reason I considered the RK tiller was it looks to be identical to the Chinese tiller sold by Agri Supply. The manuals are even identical. Agri Supply has a long history of selling some of this Chinese stuff and they tend to stock about any part you could want. They even list most of the wearable parts on the page with the implement. I would have bought it from Agri Supply but it was $300 cheaper at Rural King.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I own a 665 Deere tiller and love it.
I like the idea of it there where ever a problem in the gearbox you could find parts for it.
If RK or whoever change manufacturers, parts sourcing could get tough.

Land pride had a reverse till tiller at one time and they explained in the brochure that there is a screen or tines under the hood that deflect rocks right behind the tines, then the finer dirt gets cast through the screen to cover the rocks.
The reverse till was more than 30% more expensive at the time.

Another note:
Back before these compact tractors had so much horse power, you would pick one that got the horse power and offset the mount on the back overlapping the tire mark you left on the left side.

Whats your experience been with the chain drive, and how often do you have to tightenor Or replace the chain?
The chain drive on the Deere 6 series tillers is really my main concern .
That’s really the main reason I am leaning toward the Frontier 30 series gear driven tiller. I figure if I go with a RT3073R or RT3062R I would alsogain the counter rotation feature as well. Plus the Rt30s heavier as well.

Reactions: Toyocruiser

·
Registered
152 Posts
Frontier used to be made for John Deere, and to JD specs, by other manufacturers in the US. That is still the case as far as I know but can't be certain.

One of those manufacturers was Worksaver in Litchfield, Illinois. I know the family that owns that place and about 10 years ago I was picking up a part and the owner offered me a tour of the plant. Of course I took him up on that. They had dozens of Frontier box blades in various stages of completion and he told me JD designs the product and he makes it, paints it green, and slaps the Frontier stickers on it. He makes his own BBs also but they are slightly different than the JD line in order to keep the JD contract.

I would bet for shipping purposes there are other private labels around North America doing the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was looking at the Deere 665

Or the Frontier RT3062 OR RT3062R

I have never owned a tiller like this before, I am thinking gear driven is better then chain.

I would think the RT3062R would be better then the Rt3062 since it counter rotates pulling the tiller into the ground rather then possibly skipping over the top of it if rotating with the same direction as the tractor is pulling it.

I not sure if Deere still makes the 665. It does have the Deere brand on it, I would assume it is built by Deere.
Where the I have no idea who is building the Frontier tillers for them.

Anyone have a counter rotating tiller? Would love to know how you like any pro's or con's to consider?

Anyone know of a better tiller then these ?

Anyone know if Deere is still building the 665?
Could probably run a 7 footer with that tractor.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. Looks like maybe I found a good fit. The Deere built comer I also grade 681. From what I can tell the 681 is the only 6 series Deere tiller that is gear driven. It also weighs close to 1000 lbs . So it’s got to be built really stout .
it’s wider then I was looking for but i think it might be the best fit for my 4066 and or 4720.

Anyone have a 681?
I did find a 5 year old thread on here about A 681 . The owner was having trouble going through clutch’s on his pot shaft. Which that does cause me a little concern.

Reactions: The Satch

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I have the Frontier RT1165, great tiller. Chain vs gear makes no difference. Never heard of anyone breaking either. If you have your slip clutch set right, it’s a non issue. For your tractor, go with at least a 73 inch.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone.

I ordered a John Deere 681 tiller this afternoon.
They tell me it should only take a week or two to get here.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I ordered a John Deere 681 tiller this afternoon.
They tell me it should only take a week or two to get here.
I think you're going to love it, I found the 665 I used to just have a better feel to it than the land pride I'd use previously. Left a better finish too.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you're going to love it, I found the 665 I used to just have a better feel to it than the land pride I'd use previously. Left a better finish too.
I think they are just built stouter then the others. Cost about double, so I would expect it shoulder be heavier, which it is, With tillage weight is super important, so I suspect it is a part of the tilling better results. I noticed that too in some of the videos I watched comparing different brands and models. These Deere models really did seem to be doing the best job.
several people mention how quiet they operate compared to lighter duty tillers.

Hope it comes in by the end of the month. Looking forward to putting it work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Whats your experience been with the chain drive, and how often do you have to tightenor Or replace the chain?
The chain drive on the Deere 6 series tillers is really my main concern .
That’s really the main reason I am leaning toward the Frontier 30 series gear driven tiller. I figure if I go with a RT3073R or RT3062R I would alsogain the counter rotation feature as well. Plus the Rt30s heavier as well.
I never needed to adjust it.
The ONLY issue I had was I discovered a noise and found the case was dented and rubbing the chain.
I removed it and wire welded it.
Bought it new in 2000. The rear door needs to be replaced, kinda looks like a bag full of doorknobs. ;-)
Rocks are not good for the rear door.
I'd like to make a roller out of expanded metal to follow the tiller for prep for grass seed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts