Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like this new 590, but surely don't like the RIO switch. I mow areas that require a good deal of backing up, tight turns, etc. and the RIO is just too much bother. There aren't too many videos specific to my model on how to do this, but if I've read correct info, it seems that all one needs to do is take 14 gauge wire and then wire up a quick connect spade plug to put back in the female connector end of the switch. Assuming no other wires need to be worked with? Thanks for any suggestions. I must have had to restart my blades 20 times while mowing today after they got cut off by backing up without first activating the switch. I guess part of the problem is having mowed 37 years with absolutely no safety switches whatsoever.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If it anything like the X758, a piece of cardboard under the PTO switch works.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it anything like the X758, a piece of cardboard under the PTO switch works.

Piece of cardboard? Where? This RIO presses in, not pulls out like some models (if I'm correct from what I've seen on videos)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure if your 590 is like my 758 but if it is this is how I do it. Cost is 48 cents and takes no changes to the tractor at all. Pictures are rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise (sorry about that). First picture shows the needle nose spring clamp behind the PTO switch handle. Pull the handle out and stick the clamp in to hold the switch in the pulled out position. Second picture shows the storage position. Been using it for a year and it works perfectly every time.
Ron

WP_20180922_18_58_21_Pro.jpg WP_20180922_18_57_40_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
777 Posts
On my X350, here are no advanced signals associated with the RIO circuit. I just took a 3" piece of wire with spades on each end and "jumped" the two sides of the female plug to complete the circuit. Cover the other plug with a piece of tape and you're done. You can reconnect it anytime you want (e.g., prior to dealer service). I added a 133 dB "freeway blaster" horn to make good use of the yellow button. I agree the it's better to pay attention to where you're going rather than fumbling with "features" while you're trying to back up. The RIO concept is noble, but misguided.

·
Registered
164 Posts
According to the 590 owners manual this is how you disable the RIO. This is the same way the 758 is done. So using the needle nose clamp should work and needs nothing done to the wiring.

Lift mower engagement switch (A) past the mower engagement position then depress reverse foot pedal (B) slightly.

Ron

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
According to the 590 owners manual this is how you disable the RIO. This is the same way the 758 is done. So using the needle nose clamp should work and needs nothing done to the wiring.

Lift mower engagement switch (A) past the mower engagement position then depress reverse foot pedal (B) slightly.

Ron
There is nothing in the owner's manual about disabling...at least not in mine!! Tells you how to use it (though mentions that it is discouraged to mow while going backwards (a bit ridiculous really)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my X350, here are no advanced signals associated with the RIO circuit. I just took a 3" piece of wire with spades on each end and "jumped" the two sides of the female plug to complete the circuit. Cover the other plug with a piece of tape and you're done. You can reconnect it anytime you want (e.g., prior to dealer service). I added a 133 dB "freeway blaster" horn to make good use of the yellow button. I agree the it's better to pay attention to where you're going rather than fumbling with "features" while you're trying to back up. The RIO concept is noble, but misguided.
So pretty much a "quick connect spade" as I mentioned initially...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if your 590 is like my 758 but if it is this is how I do it. Cost is 48 cents and takes no changes to the tractor at all. Pictures are rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise (sorry about that). First picture shows the needle nose spring clamp behind the PTO switch handle. Pull the handle out and stick the clamp in to hold the switch in the pulled out position. Second picture shows the storage position. Been using it for a year and it works perfectly every time.
Ron

View attachment 655102 View attachment 655104

But again, isn't this for RIO switches that activate by pulling them out?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Piece of cardboard? Where? This RIO presses in, not pulls out like some models (if I'm correct from what I've seen on videos)
Instead of the spring clamp I use a piece of cardboard. I pull the switch out and shove the cardboard under it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Instead of the spring clamp I use a piece of cardboard. I pull the switch out and shove the cardboard under it.

Yeah but my switch completes the circuit by depressing the yellow button on the driver side of the dash.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts

Ron
Those aren't instructions for disabling RIO, those are the instructions for USING RIO. :) (see full text below).

[h=3]Using the Reverse Implement Option (RIO)[/h]
Avoid Injury! Children or bystanders may be injured by runover and rotating blades. Before traveling forward or rearward:

• Carefully check the area around the machine.
  • Disengage the mower before backing up.
Operating the mower while backing up is strongly discouraged. The Reverse Implement Option should be used only when operating another attachment or when the operator deems it necessary to reposition the machine with the mower engaged.

1. Stop forward travel. Allow attachment to run.
  2. Look down and behind the machine to be sure that there are no bystanders.

3. MXT020501-UN-17MAY17
    Push and hold in the reverse implement switch (A) while depressing reverse pedal (B) slightly.[HR][/HR]
  4. If the attachment stops while positioning the machine, return mower engagement switch to off position. Repeat this procedure from the beginning.
    Release the reverse implement switch and reposition the machine as the machine begins to move rearward.
  5. Resume forward travel. The attachment should continue operating.
  6. Repeat procedure to position the machine again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look under the dash of your 590. Unplug the wire connector from the RIO button. Loop it back as shown in the pics.
Thanks to all who responded to this thread...will definitely get a quick connect loop put in there. That way, as already mentioned, I can quickly restore it to original if the tractor needs to go in for repairs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jgayman using the RIO IS DISABLING THE BACKUP SHUTDOWN. The exact same language is in the 758 owners manual. Everybody calls it the RIO but in fact the safety feature is the backup shutdown and the RIO bypasses the safety feature and allows you to back up without a shutdown of the mower deck. In both the 590 and 758 owners manuals the paragraph starts with the heading of USING the Reverse Implement Option. ON THE 758 THERE ARE 2 WAYS TO DISABLE THE SHUTDOWN. #1 Is a yellow button that you push down and hold until you begin to back up and then you can let go. #2 Is pull up on the PTO engage button past the on position and hold until you start to back up then let go. By putting the clamp in under the switch you are holding the button out permanently until you pull the clamp which effectively disables the backup shutdown safety feature. The picture below is from the x590 owners manual.
Ron

Capture2.PNG

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I looked at this again now that I'll be mowing shortly. My switch has 2 male plugs on the end (see pictures) and then is engaged by pushing the switch in. I took two pictures so you can see how the yellow plastic collar moves downward when pressing the spring-loaded RIO switch. So even though I have a jumper (also pictured), I guess I can't use this (?) So I'm still unsure of how to disable this. Instead of a male jumper, don't I need a similar device that would have 2 female ends instead? I seemed to remember that there was something connected to the male ends but apparently not. Guess I got confused by looking at the various things that have been posted on the forum about disabling these.

Thanks.

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think you're supposed to plug the jumper into the cable connector that plugs on to the switch, and leave the switch disconnected. Pull the jumper and reconnect the cable to the switch when you want to go back to factory settings.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think you're supposed to plug the jumper into the cable connector that plugs on to the switch, and leave the switch disconnected. Pull the jumper and reconnect the cable to the switch when you want to go back to factory settings.
I don't quite follow this...."cable connector that plugs on to the switch"...presumably meaning on the engine side of the switch? There just isn't much there. Obviously that switch has to connect to something, but I don't see any wires coming out of it. Here is another picture taken a bit farther back from the RIO. The plug seen above the RIO appears to be for the throttle.

What's interesting is that the module (or whatever it's called...the thing that has the 2 male plugs) pushes in part way and stops. In that position, the RIO switch no longer pushes in very far though I suspect it's still not engaged. If it would be, this would make things easier (unless the module would slip back down into its normal position). I just don't understand, being that I don't see any cable anywhere near it...what powers this?

IMG_1061.jpg

1 - 20 of 64 Posts