Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Always a lot of talk and worry about DPF filters. It seems they have this figured out pretty well so I thought I would share some positive news. I have been waiting forever for mine to regenerate and it will get up around 77 or maybe even 78% and then will come back down. The other day I was rolling the lawn and I figured it would and then it started coming back down and ended up at 73%. After regenerates it usually builds up pretty fast but then the restriction must build enough heat to keep it clean.

Here is a good thread Pat started as well. According to this 100 hours is the maximum it will go but it looks like I will get there or close.

Speedometer Odometer Gauge Tachometer Motor vehicle

Car Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I don't think I have ever gone past 50%. I just don't pay any attention to it. The only thing I notice is that it always seems to happen at an inconvenient time. Like that one time this year that I need to hook up the PHD and I need the HitchAssist which requires the engine to be at idle.

Dave

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,434 Posts
I did 81 hrs IRRC last summer, but that was the same thing as you are talking about. It seemed like I was in the 70's % for awhile, I was brush hogging when it finally did go into regen. The other thing I noticed that day, when you're working the tractor hard like that it only took about 15 minutes to complete, where other times it has started at a time when I was pretty much done for the day and it took about 30 minutes just sitting there not working.

·
Registered
630 Posts
my problem is my tractor only gets worked when snow blowing in the winter, I'm at around 78% right now, but done for the year doing heavy work, so I was thinking about doing a parked regen when the weather warms up.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
in my 160 hours just regen 2 times. of course mowing helps knock the suite down.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
I guess for me it was about 80 hours. I was cultivating a field during that time and when it would reach 77%, it would start a passive Regen which would lower it 4-5% every time I cultivated. I could tell when the passive Regen kicked in because the exhaust sound would get deeper and I could smell the burning soot. In those 80 hrs, the passive Regen lowered it down to 34%. But then it requested an Active Regen when it rose back to 49%. That Active Regen took over 45 minutes to complete even working the tractor where the others only took 15 minutes or so.

·
Premium Member
12,658 Posts
It would be real interesting to send in an engine oil sample before the first regen and then again following the actual regen process to see what impact it has on the engine oil. The hot temps and the oil in the turbo, etc. have to be impacted by the heat of the process.

I would find it interesting how the life of the oil is impacted and also how it affects its lubrication, etc. I would also like to see what impact the use of a Stiction Eliminator has on the engine oil the entire time as well as the benefits of running the best diesel fuel with cetane increaser and increased lubricity. The enhanced fuel should make the combustion process more efficient, which should extend the time between the regen process because the higher quality fuel should emit less diesel exhaust soot.

Herm, any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
The hot temps and the oil in the turbo, etc. have to be impacted by the heat of the process.
I don’t have a turbo on my 4044R, but I followed the recommended engine oil change at 200 hrs. It had performed 3 Active Regens by that time. It was much blacker than any oil I’ve ever changed before in anything, cars, trucks, lawn mowers etc. I will never let it go that long again and will probably change every 100 hrs from now on.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Check that oil at 50 hours and it will likely be just as dirty. Engine oil in diesels get dirty, no two ways about it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,434 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Herm, any thoughts on this?
I don’t think it would affect the oil. The exhaust filtering and heat happens post turbo, I believe. Could be wrong though.

time. It was much blacker than any oil I’ve ever changed before in anything, cars, trucks, lawn mowers etc.
All diesels are like this. The new oil is almost black when it runs down and hits the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,434 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
All diesels are like this. The new oil is almost black when it runs down and hits the oil pan.
I respectfully disagree. My 2007 790 never had oil that was as black as the first change in the 4044R. I accidentally let the 790 go to 250 hrs once and it still had quite a bit of opacity to it. I‘ve always used the same DeerePlus 50 II in all my tractors.

I get what you‘re saying about the Regen happening in the exhaust system, but with it injecting additional diesel into the exhaust to raise the temperature might cause blow back into the crankcase. 🤷‍♂️

What I do know is I’ll just change oil/filters more often than the recommendation.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I remember changing the oil in my 1025 and it was black. No DPF on a 1025

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have 80 plus hours on mine with no regen. But 90% of those hours are under quite heavy loads and higher RPM. Maybe it will do a regen while I'm away and working in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don’t think it would affect the oil. The exhaust filtering and heat happens post turbo, I believe. Could be wrong though.

I checked my oil yesterday, I'm at 50 hrs, oil is as clear as the day I got the tractor, after the first regen I will take a look at it again and compare. As to the black oil, my first oil change in my ford diesel truck, I was amazed how black it was, so I filled it back up with oil, ran it down the road a bit, came home and removed the new oil, it was a black as the used oil, not sure how many times I would have to do this to get it back to clean. I also sent the old oil off for analysis, I think I changed it at 5000 miles, they said the oil was fine and most people are going 7000 and the oil is fine, I still do mine at 5000.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
230 hours, 3 regens.

Mine gets lots of idle time, but then gets some hard pulling time mixed in. These hard pulling times really do seem to reduce the soot level.
I like having that metric exposed. The 5075e doesn’t show that in the dash.

Tim

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm at 185 hours on my 18 5075E. It regenned once at exactly 100.0 hours. My tractor see's its share of WOT, but it also gets a lot of idle and low RPM time as well.

·
Registered
965 Posts
How the heck would they measure soot level? The only way I can think of is differential pressure across the catalyst. As far as I know the 5 series don't have that handy little measurement. I think if a tractor is worked hard it would have very few regens based on what I have seen with mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts