Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to dig a trench for electrical to one place and irrigation to the garden. What is the narrowest bucket size you can get for a 260? I may rent a ditchwitch, but it would be nice to have a smaller one than the 12" for small jobs.

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
8" is the smallest.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
8" is the smallest.
Beat me to it Kennyd... https://www.deere.com/en_US/products/attachment/utility_tractors/loading_and_digging/260_backhoe/260_backhoe.page?#viewTabs

8" it is. Note states that no other buckets are comparable with the 260 and its buckets are not compatible with other equipment. I wondered as the 46 I have has a 9" one that's the smallest, the next being a 13" with 3 more larger ones, which may be comparable with larger BH's? The narrow buckets are great for trenching as well as stump digging...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a feeling the 8" may be the smallest, but someone may have known of an aftermarket one from some other manufacturer that I have not been aware of.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,053 Posts
I had a feeling the 8" may be the smallest, but someone may have known of an aftermarket one from some other manufacturer that I have not been aware of.
In the past, aftermarket buckets were nonexistent. Probably the same now.

·
Registered
967 Posts
In the past, aftermarket buckets were nonexistent. Probably the same now.

Just wondering here.... If you read the description of the mounting points..... "If" these buckets will fit a 260BH or not? Seems to anyway.

16" Cub Cadet Yanmar Mini Backhoe Excavator Digging Bucket 1" Pins | eBay

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
IMO after digging at least 12 water lines for the neighbors , I wouldn't go with any thing less than 12". The 8" agree would be a smaller ditch and less mess, but if soil is damp to wet all you will end up doing is digging the dirt (mud) out of the bucket. The 12" fills up bad enough at times , just my 2 cents.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
86 Posts
Actually, the hardest part of using the 8" bucket is working at the bottom of the trench.
I dug about 160' of 4' deep 8" wide trench to replace water lines. (previous owner of the property buried main water lines from well 8-12" down, and used light weight irrigation grade pipe with no shutoff valves.)
Only had to dig the bucket out about 4 times. (previous owner couldn't lay pipe in a straight line and I hit a 1.25" water line, flooding the trench, giving me lots of wet clay while digging parallel to the pipe!)

Most shovels are more than 8" wide.
There's no way you're standing in an 8" trench.
A good 4' deep trench is really hard to reach the bottom of.
I wound up using hay hooks to snag the ends of pvc pipes to pull them up to glue them together.
Dug a double to triple width trench at the ends for access to make connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts