Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I’m knew you this farming gig, but just dragged this out from the back of our new property. I’m assuming it’s a orchard leveler and compactor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Looks like an old speed mover with some sort of packing roller on the back.
Not sure what it's official name is or what anyone else calls them, looks like a really old speed mover to me.
New ones without that roller, cost around $4000-10,000 depending on brand and the size of mover and upgraded hydraulic features come into play as well when looking at cost.

I don't see any hydraulics at all on that one. Wild guess at value $500-750.00

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Super Moderator
6,999 Posts
Yeah. Not sure what the "proper" name for it is but it's basically a giant box blade with a compacting roller. I wonder how my 2032R would do dragging that through a field? 🤣

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
What is that "impaler" above the draw bar?

Reactions: stevenk and trav

·
Registered
797 Posts
Obviously I’m knew you this farming gig, but just dragged this out from the back of our new property. I’m assuming it’s a orchard leveler and compactor?

Fred Flintsone’s car’s chassis.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I want it!

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
That wasn't totally built in a factory, that thing has been heavily modified.

What was originally on the property before you took over?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The property was a old walnut orchard, wheels are non adjustable

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Without the roller it resembles a Gannon earthcavater. For garden tractors they are better then a box blade for leveling with soil moving involved.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Up here they are land planes of sorts.
Used in all the nut orchards so the sweepers can do there job proper.
New many thousands.....Some folks still use them but the newer harvesters don't seem to need raw dirt to pick the nuts up. Erosion is the downside of all dirt.

One similar to that on CL up here thats twice as long but has rear steering axle to let you make the corners in the orchard.....bunch of linkage hooked to one side of drawbar.
I think $600 was the price......way to big and waste of space for me but it would make a gravel road nice.

My plane is 3 point mounted and does a great job @ 12' wide.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah. Not sure what the "proper" name for it is but it's basically a giant box blade with a compacting roller. I wonder how my 2032R would do dragging that through a field? 🤣
Did you mean to say how your 2032 would do getting dragged through the field?😁

·
Registered
605 Posts
You're going to need a bigger tractor!

That is some cool looking old stuff. Looking at those last pictures takes me back to the early '60s when my dad moved us to a couple of old farms for a while. I would find all kinds of stuff and look for ways to get the contraptions to work or at least get the levers to move. The old hay baler that hadn't moved in years was the most intriguing to me as a nine year old kid.

Thanks for the pictures. If you can't sell any of it you might have the start of an interesting roadside museum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The spring tooth harrow looks like a Dearborn, from the 50's. We had an 10 foot version of that made by JD that would tax a 2020 back in the 60's. Usually pulled it with a 4020. The item with the disks looks like a "row bedder" or "row hipper" We used those to build the row beds for growing cotton. a two row could be pulled with a 35hp tractor if soil was worked properly. Last looks like a middle buster. Others may have different name for all of these items. Todays compact utility tractors don't have the weight or traction to pull most of those implements effectively, IMO.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
KEWL stuff!

I recently bought a place in Central Texas and am finding old implements with trees growing though them on a regular basis.

I Like your first item. Similar to what my neighbor calls a land plane, as someone else stated. His was purchased from a rice farmer who used it to level his rice fields. We have all used it around our properties and it is great for doing just that with the wide wheelbase. Looks like a roller on the back to smooth out your work.

Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts