Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

So I have a 2018 X738 with a 54" mower deck and a 60" plow. I do not have the quick connect for the mower deck.

While mowing I bumped a rock with the mower deck. My previous JD was an L118 and the mower deck had some give to it, so I didn't give it any mind when I hit this rock. As I moved past the rock, I noticed the mower deck had been pushed back, causing the below pictured part to grind and become damaged. Can anyone tell me what these parts are? I have no idea and when searching for parts, most of the online JD parts that I try to look up don't have photos. I am trying to order replacement parts and fix this.

IMG-8501.jpg

IMG-8500.jpg

·
Registered
442 Posts
Maybe get rid of said rock . I would not loan you anything for sure . You have stripped the splines clean off ! Is this an attempt to grind off the rock with several mowers ? Kevin .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol...

It is not the same rock that I hit with my previous JD.

So it is the PTO shaft...

Any ideas/help on the part(s) number(s)? I have been searching for and hour and a half now and I can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It should be this

1 - Shaft Kit
Part Number
BM25775
Qty Req

If you go here.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Search for the X738

Then it is under

102 Implement Drive Shaft

Drive Shaft Kit, 52 / 60 inch, ( For USA and Canada ) - ST858229

It has photos and such. The kit I listed above is for the entire driveshaft assembly. If you go in like I mentioned before you can see the parts break down. Maybe you can just order the needed parts and save a bit.

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Why does it need replaced? I take it, they can't be taken apart under normal conditions!

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Why does it need replaced? I take it, they can't be taken apart under normal conditions!
What I see suspect may be damage to the splines as Kevin mentioned?

20191202_165409.jpg

·
Registered
318 Posts
Maybe get rid of said rock . I would not loan you anything for sure . You have stripped the splines clean off ! Is this an attempt to grind off the rock with several mowers ? Kevin .
What I see suspect may be damage to the splines as Kevin mentioned?

View attachment 716470
On the outer shaft half (round one with internal splines) there is a spring-loaded pin, and 90 degrees from that is a grease zerk. Both sit exactly where the spline damage is when the two halves are connected. The shaft is supposed to move in and out so the deck can undulate separate from the tractor on uneven ground. This is a slightly different design from the PTO shaft on either my X748's deck, or my 2520's deck. Both of those are square bar/slot instead of splines, but they both had a screw in that spot that rode in a groove and prevented the shaft halves from coming apart.

Something doesn't seem right about that spring pin and/or zerk doing that kind of circumferential damage, without that inner shaft has spun inside the inner shaft, which seems difficult if the splines properly engage over their length. That must have been a heck of a hit to do that damage. I've hit many a rock over the years with my X7, to the point of bending a blade, but never did any damage to the driveshaft. I wonder if there's some other issue going on that hitting the rock brought to the fore?

Is the inner portion of the internal splined half fully splined, or are there splines just in the area that is damaged on the part in the picture? That isn't much engagement area if that is the case, and I'd imagine the whole shaft will have to be replaced. I would have felt the entire inside run of the other half would be splined for strength.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
On the outer shaft half (round one with internal splines) there is a spring-loaded pin, and 90 degrees from that is a grease zerk. Both sit exactly where the spline damage is when the two halves are connected. The shaft is supposed to move in and out so the deck can undulate separate from the tractor on uneven ground. This is a slightly different design from the PTO shaft on either my X748's deck, or my 2520's deck. Both of those are square bar/slot instead of splines, but they both had a screw in that spot that rode in a groove and prevented the shaft halves from coming apart.

Something doesn't seem right about that spring pin and/or zerk doing that kind of circumferential damage, without that inner shaft has spun inside the inner shaft, which seems difficult if the splines properly engage over their length. That must have been a heck of a hit to do that damage. I've hit many a rock over the years with my X7, to the point of bending a blade, but never did any damage to the driveshaft. I wonder if there's some other issue going on that hitting the rock brought to the fore?

Is the inner portion of the internal splined half fully splined, or are there splines just in the area that is damaged on the part in the picture? That isn't much engagement area if that is the case, and I'd imagine the whole shaft will have to be replaced. I would have felt the entire inside run of the other half would be splined for strength.
I doubt he spun the splines like that as I think you are right that the splines on the inner shaft are longer than that small area. Could be wrong on that. My though is that the spines were rubbing on something that was stationary but you would think that would make a heck of a noise and one would shut down the PTO.

If both halves are damaged like that I would just replace the entire thing. If only one end is damaged he might save a bit and replace only the damaged parts. That is why I posted how to get to the parts page where all the parts are listed as I don't know which direction is the best option.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
1) Is the problem the PTO shaft now slips?
2) Or will not slide together completely?

If 1 above, you will need to replace damaged parts. Maybe only the male half? Maybe only the female half? Or maybe both? :dunno: :flag_of_truce:

If 2 above, You might file away the metal (male half) that has "burred" into the "grooves" of the spline and save it? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I don't think that the outer shaft spun and caused a small area of damage like that. OP said he hit a rock and the deck pushed backwards, maybe exposing that amount of spline and rubbed against something else under the tractor.:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
At first I thought that was dirt or whatever on the pictured splines! Now, I see the splines are rolled over! Seems odd that would happen so easily!:unknown:
Not a very deep spline engagement I would suspect!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apologies for the long response time.

So here are some pictures of what that shaft damaged on the tractor. At this time I didn't plan on replacing it but if someone identifies what it is, then I would consider it.

IMG_9272.jpg IMG_9273.jpg IMG_9274.jpg

And regarding the below part number provided by sennister:

"It should be this

1 - Shaft Kit
Part Number
BM25775
Qty Req

If you go here.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Search for the X738

Then it is under

Drive Shaft Kit, 52 / 60 inch, ( For USA and Canada ) - ST858229"

After looking at that and the catalog you linked to, wouldn't it be #8 on the diagram under 86 Mid-Mount Mower, 54 High Capacity since this is for my mower deck which is 54"?

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Is that shaft number 5 in the diagram? If it is, maybe you could try and find someone who could weld that up for you! I don't like anything that isn't how it's supposed to be!
Meaning if I couldn't get it repaired, speaking for myself, I would get a new one! But that's me!

John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that shaft number 5 in the diagram? If it is, maybe you could try and find someone who could weld that up for you! I don't like anything that isn't how it's supposed to be!
Meaning if I couldn't get it repaired, speaking for myself, I would get a new one! But that's me!

John Deere Parts Catalog
Yep. I believe that is it.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
And regarding the below part number provided by sennister:

"It should be this

1 - Shaft Kit
Part Number
BM25775
Qty Req

If you go here.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Search for the X738

Then it is under

Drive Shaft Kit, 52 / 60 inch, ( For USA and Canada ) - ST858229"

After looking at that and the catalog you linked to, wouldn't it be #8 on the diagram under 86 Mid-Mount Mower, 54 High Capacity since this is for my mower deck which is 54"?
I agree. I saw 60 in your first post but that was something else. Sorry.

I agree go with 86 MMM. Then click on 8 and it is item #2 if you are looking at the same page that I am. That is for the entire shaft. It is interesting that it is square not splined like the one you have now.

I haven't put my mower on in several years so I don't recall if it is splined or square.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts