Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by apologizing for being unskilled in the nuances of a new post.
Big’s recent thread "Concrete Wall Build" and the bargain 25¢ concrete blocks got me wondering about others great bargains.
My own was back in the 70’s as a service station,(remember those?), manager. The local Catholic cemetery had a Bolens 1250 rebuilt, but then could not get it started. They towed it to me, I made an offer of $200 for it before trouble shooting. The local priest liked the idea of it not belonging to a parishioner and accepted as well as offering an unused snow plow for $50 additional. I got 20+ years of mowing and plowing out of the machine. It only needed the points properly wired, by the way.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I stopped in to a local liquor store to buy a bottle of bourbon. I saw a single bottle of Jefferson Ocean on the shelf and simply couldn't find a tag for it. I know this is an $80 bottle of liquor but I went to the counter to ask. The clerk tried in vain to look it up and even called another location - all to no avail. He opted to sell it to me for the price of $35 and I accepted.

:)

That was about four months ago, it's about half gone.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Last fall I brought a land pride 60” finish mower, used but I’ll bet not more than twice, for 1/2 price from new

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Not me, friend bought, at auction, a propane powered forklift. It sold "as is, not working" He got it for one bid higher than the scrap dealer that was bidding against him. When he picked it up, he brought a key (did not have one) opened the valve on the propane bottle and it started right up.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was a auto mechanic for 25+ years before turning to machine work and in my younger days deals used to present themselves on a regular basis. One of my first and most favorite's was a Morris 997 Cooper S. A student called me and said he had one with a blown head gasket he wanted to unload. I offered him $75 and he accepted. It was set up for racing with wide wheels, roll bar, solid dunlop spring rubbers, Koni shocks, etc. I pulled the plugs and spun the water out of the cylinders and it started right up. I went out periodically and started it and it showed no signs of trouble until it rained. Turned out when it rained the water would drip into the velocity stacks on the carbs and fill the cylinders. I just put a plastic bag over them and it never hydro locked again. I raced it in autocross for a couple of years and sold it with a blown engine for $300. The guy that bought it accumulated parts to fix it with but never got around to it. I later picked up an old Triumph TR3 that ran but was in rough condition for $50. I swapped that even for my Mini with all the parts. I used the parts to get it back into racing condition and enjoyed it a couple more years. In the end I sold it in a basket case for $100. I had 4 years of fun with it and was net $275 not counting normal maintenance stuff.

I had several good car deals that I often got use from and made money on. Some I netted a couple of grand on and some I drove for many miles before selling for more than I had in them.

My most recent deal that I think qualifies as a goodun is my John Deere 4310 tractor. Bought it at auction with 1500 hrs for $5900 after fees. It had an SCV but no loader. I had to replace the cowl and hood and clean it up some. Hood was okay but the fuel door was missing and the hinge tabs were broken for that so I went ahead and replaced it. I picked up a used 420 loader that was missing the bucket cylinders and fitted it with generic 2x18 cylinders for lift and bucket. Installed all new hoses and a diverter valve then I added a brand new rock/root grapple. I am all in for just a tad over 10 grand.

Sold my previous JD855 for a little more than I paid for it 5 years ago so that was a wash.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I bought a number of snowmobiles over about a four year period for about what they were truly worth and sold only one of them for a loss.

2002 Polaris Indy XCSP 500 ("Edge X 500") with very high miles but extremely well-maintained - put about 800 miles on it over a season and a half and sold it for what I paid for it. Didn't really put any money into except gas, oil, and registration.

2006 Polaris Indy Classic 600 - bought it in very rough shape (no battery, skis were destroyed, needed a steering knuckle, seat cover destroyed, VES valves torn) at the end of a season - guy needed to unload it. Never registered it and sold it all fixed up for about a $400 profit

2006 Polaris Indy Classic 340 - Bought it with a dead battery and a bent ski but otherwise decent shape. Put a belt on it and put in a new battery. Replaced the skis with some off of another sled that got upgraded to plastic skis. Was driven around the yard for about 5-10 miles of odometer spin. Sold it for about $200 profit.

1998 Polaris Indy 440 (very rare sled, super hard to find as it's liquid cooled) - Bought it from the original owner in showroom condition with about 1200 miles. Upgraded skis to plastics (used) and installed a reverse kit that I bought off of a friend. Registered and ran it as a "buddy sled" for two seasons, added about 250 miles to it. Sold it sight unseen for a $600 profit to a guy from NY.

I had a couple of late 90's Polaris Indy Classic 500's (one standard, one touring) that I bought in "ok" shape. Did little to nothing with each of them and sold them for roughly what I had into them.

2012 Polaris Indy Pro-R 600 - bought it with high (ish) miles but fairly new and well maintained. Did quite a bit to it including having the shocks recharged, clutches cleaned, new belt, new reeds, and a thorough going over of the motor. Ran it for two seasons and sold it for about a $600 loss after putting about another 1000 miles on it.

At the end of it all, I rode for about 4-5 years and basically broke even after you factor in my various registration and insurance costs along with gas and oil. In my book, that's pretty good for a hobby that's known to be a money pit.

On the motorcycle side, I did a little worse. Bought two bikes. One was totaled and I made money on the whole deal as I was reimbursed for my gear. Sold the other at about a $1000 loss just to get rid of it (plus I threw in about $300 worth of parts I had bought as I was fixing it up).

All told, I'm out a few bucks (I made money on my snowmobile trailer, too), but I logged a lot of miles basically for "free".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe not my best bargain, but certainly my best JD bargain.

I bought a F525 mower used, private party for $500. I mowed several acres with this mower for 3 years and then traded it in when I bought my 2032R in '16. I traded it in for $275 more than I paid for it originally. The deal worked out well for me.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Right near the top of my bargains,, just about 20 years ago,, my 584 IH,,, $5,000,,

I wrote the check, and drove it home,,, 29 miles, I was not going to risk a better offer popping up,,, :flag_of_truce:

Other than replacing the 40 year old tires, and a few fluid changes, it just runs, and runs,,,
I do not abuse it,, but, it does do some serious work.

It even plows the snow,,,

·
Old Pa-pa
11,355 Posts
1982 IH 274, 5' Woods Billy Goat brush hog, Ford 6' 3PH dozer blade, set of choppers, plow.
Only had 490hours on it, barn kept------------ All for $4000.

Like CADplans, wrote a check right there and then for it, bought it in 1992.

Have 2500 hours on it now, only problem was leaking water pump that I replaced 10 years ago.

Have a standing offer of $7500 for it from a collector, no way I get rid of it, I like the little red mule too much. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My CZ O/U shotgun.
Store closing, everything 20% off, was already sale priced, and 10% military discount.
I paid about $100 under their cost on a brand new gun.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I got one of my best deals on an IH also, or in my case Case IH. I originally had 1.5 acres and was mowing it with a Sears garden tractor. Then I bought an adjoining 3.5 acres and decided I needed a bigger tractor. This was in the late 80's and back then the only real options around here for a small tractor was an 8 or 9n Ford, or a Kubota. I wanted a 4x4 with a FEL so that eliminated the Fords. But a new Kubota was more than I wanted to spend at the time and any decent used ones I ever found were already sold as soon as I could call about them.

Then one day at work I happened to see an ad on the credit union bulletin board for a used Case IH 244 diesel 4x4 with front-end loader, 5 foot Case IH finish mower, 5 foot brush hog, and a 5 foot box blade, for $6500. At the time I didn't know much about these tractors as they were something new Case IH had come out with to compete with the Kubotas. The lady who posted the ad worked in the plant and I knew her so I called her. The tractor belonged to her husband, he had decided to go into the landscaping business and had bought all of this equipment new about 6 months before, tractor only had about 100 hours. Now he decided to go back to his former job so wanted to sell out this equipment.

Called him figuring it would already be sold but it wasn't, told him I wanted to look at it after work. He wanted to put me off till the next day since it was not at his house and he would have to meet me where it was stored, but I knew if it was anywhere near as good as it sounded it would be gone by then so I insisted I wanted to see it that day, and he finally agreed to meet me there.

Soon as I saw it I knew I wasn't leaving without it. Other than being a little dirty it looked brand new. I had brought my trailer just in case, so I wrote him a check on the spot and we loaded it all up. Was a struggle getting it all on a 16 foot trailer but we managed. One of the best buys I ever made.

I don't have any pictures of the actual tractor and can't find one exactly like it online, but it was similar to this one but with a FEL.

pic.JPG

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I was a auto mechanic for 25+ years before turning to machine work and in my younger days deals used to present themselves on a regular basis. One of my first and most favorite's was a Morris 997 Cooper S. A student called me and said he had one with a blown head gasket he wanted to unload. I offered him $75 and he accepted. It was set up for racing with wide wheels, roll bar, solid dunlop spring rubbers, Koni shocks, etc. I pulled the plugs and spun the water out of the cylinders and it started right up. I went out periodically and started it and it showed no signs of trouble until it rained. Turned out when it rained the water would drip into the velocity stacks on the carbs and fill the cylinders. I just put a plastic bag over them and it never hydro locked again. I raced it in autocross for a couple of years and sold it with a blown engine for $300. The guy that bought it accumulated parts to fix it with but never got around to it. I later picked up an old Triumph TR3 that ran but was in rough condition for $50. I swapped that even for my Mini with all the parts. I used the parts to get it back into racing condition and enjoyed it a couple more years. In the end I sold it in a basket case for $100. I had 4 years of fun with it and was net $275 not counting normal maintenance stuff.

I had several good car deals that I often got use from and made money on. Some I netted a couple of grand on and some I drove for many miles before selling for more than I had in them.

My most recent deal that I think qualifies as a goodun is my John Deere 4310 tractor. Bought it at auction with 1500 hrs for $5900 after fees. It had an SCV but no loader. I had to replace the cowl and hood and clean it up some. Hood was okay but the fuel door was missing and the hinge tabs were broken for that so I went ahead and replaced it. I picked up a used 420 loader that was missing the bucket cylinders and fitted it with generic 2x18 cylinders for lift and bucket. Installed all new hoses and a diverter valve then I added a brand new rock/root grapple. I am all in for just a tad over 10 grand.

Sold my previous JD855 for a little more than I paid for it 5 years ago so that was a wash.
They mini is awesome. I’d love to get an old Cooper S. They are such a blast to drive. Who knew a little car with a 1200cc engine could be so much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
That’s my problem - being in the right place at the right time plus also having the cash available. Never do the two happen together for me....
Me too. Most of the time. Well I have the money in the bank but the spousal unit normally doesn’t think I need more tractors.

I bought my 955 with 700 hours on it with a 70a loader, 72” mower deck and a 54” blade for 8600.

Traffic on the interstate was backed up from a wreck so I took the alternate route that went by the Deere dealer.

Saw it sitting on the used equipment hill and called when I got to work. Looked at it on the way home and told them I’d stop by with a check tomorrow.

At the time they where selling for around $12000 on Craigslist.

Bought this wagon for 200 bucks. Thing is built really well. I think the frame is an old ordinance wagon. Looks military but I can’t find any tags. It’s 4.5’ x 8.5 feet and weighs 1000 pounds. Thing even has drum brakes on the back.

I did refinish and add the side boards. She looked like this when it came home.

This fall I bought a fast hitch, disk and plow for my son’s cub.

Thought I got a deal on the fast hitch as it was about 200 less then they normally go for. But it had some issues. Had to buy some parts. So came out about even.

Got the plow and the disk though for $150.00 each. The plow even had the coulter. They can bring more then that by themselves.

After I restored it.

And the disk. (In the middle of restoring it)

My stepfather though is the one that falls into deals all the the time.

Best one is when he bought 39 acres from the area where he grew up.

About 6 months later US Silica come knocking on our door wanting to buy it. Ended up trading the 30 acres for 180 acre farm with a trout stream. House wasn’t livable but after 20 years of working on it. (Moving it and redoing it) they have a beautiful weekend retreat. House is a chestnut log home built in the 1700s. Sorry don’t have any pics.

I’m Not that lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
192 Posts
Took a chance with my college roommate...didn’t have friends who went to school with me, so opted for the lottery...just give me anyone.

My roommate was from Sidney, NE and worked for Cabela’s! He had been with them for a few years, but had never hunted or fished. Proud to say I was the person who introduced him to hunting. We grew to be best friends, were in each other’s weddings, and are still close to this day.

Told you that story so I could tell you this story...

He knew the manager of the “Bargain Cave” at Cabela’s (it’s where they sell returned and discontinued items at reduced prices). Since I was a friend, the manager hooked me up with countless bargains...I remember getting a Gore-Tex, thinsulate duck parka for $50 (retail was $199), a pair of neoprene waders for $20, and a Columbia ski parka for $40.

Throught the years I was always getting deals, so many that I lost track of all the stuff I got and $$ saved.

My friend continued at Cabela’s, working his way up in the company. They treated him well and his family prospered.

With Bass Pro’s purchase of Cabela’s, the company changed gears, and he decided to leave last year. I got some smoking deals...but the best part was a 33+ year friendship with a chance roommate at a small college in Nebraska.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Took a chance with my college roommate...didn’t have friends who went to school with me, so opted for the lottery...just give me anyone.

My roommate was from Sidney, NE and worked for Cabela’s! He had been with them for a few years, but had never hunted or fished. Proud to say I was the person who introduced him to hunting. We grew to be best friends, were in each other’s weddings, and are still close to this day.

Told you that story so I could tell you this story...

He knew the manager of the “Bargain Cave” at Cabela’s (it’s where they sell returned and discontinued items at reduced prices). Since I was a friend, the manager hooked me up with countless bargains...I remember getting a Gore-Tex, thinsulate duck parka for $50 (retail was $199), a pair of neoprene waders for $20, and a Columbia ski parka for $40.

Throught the years I was always getting deals, so many that I lost track of all the stuff I got and $$ saved.

My friend continued at Cabela’s, working his way up in the company. They treated him well and his family prospered.

With Bass Pro’s purchase of Cabela’s, the company changed gears, and he decided to leave last year. I got some smoking deals...but the best part was a 33+ year friendship with a chance roommate at a small college in Nebraska.
Now THAT is an awesome story! Not the deals part, the friendship part is awesome. Anyone can get "deals" but longtime (lifetime) friendships are one in a million.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Now THAT is an awesome story! Not the deals part, the friendship part is awesome. Anyone can get "deals" but longtime (lifetime) friendships are one in a million.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Agreed! We live 6 hour drive apart now...for a while we were a 12 hour drive. I would venture to see him every winter, do some waterfowl hunting. He would travel my way to fish in summers. In spring we would meet half way with families for a long weekend. Great times.

There is actually a group of us that went to college together. I lost touch for a while while going through divorce, but now we are all back doing our thing...

Spent 3 hole days sitting in blind on the river goose hunting end of January. Told great stories, had many laughs. Chased pheasants in November. We don't close bars down like we used to...all good fun.

Funny how our conversations have shifted in the 30+ years we have known each other...back then it was chasing skirts, adult beverages...today it's more about our kids in college, politics, retirement, and our aches and pains : )

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I know its the wrong color, but a friend worked with a gal moving to Florida in a hurry and had a fire sale going on,so he tipped me off to a 2011 cub cadet GTX 1054 and a 5x8 galvanized 2500# trailer. I grabbed them both for 1350.00. I consider this a smoking deal. 27hp with 270 hrs, trailer mint.
Sorry dont know how to spin pics.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts