Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This one in particular comes to mind.
I got a phone call from a neighbor that he got his Massey Harris combine stuck in a soft spot and wanted some help getting it out. I grabbed a few chains, a shovel and took my JD 4020 over to help. Before I got there his son brought their Ford 5000, but it was also stuck.
After some kidding and joking around, I hooked up to the Ford and got it out. Then went around to pull the combine back the way it went in. I almost got it moving, but not quite enough traction, so we hooked up the Ford also and pulled it out.
He was very happy that we got the combine out and invited my wife and I over for their large family Sunday cookout. From past experience, I knew it would be great and it was. Fresh butchered beef, pork, chicken and all the fixins.
When we were leaving, he gave me a large box of fresh meat.

Anyone have a tractor experience to share?

Registered
Nothing that interesting, but my happy place is using my rotary cutter through tall grass and saplings. There is nothing more satisfying to me than that "whump whump whump" as I drive over a 2-3 foot tall meadow and look backwards and see the path I just mowed.

I'm a simple man. 馃槅

Registered
Nothing that interesting, but my happy place is using my rotary cutter through tall grass and saplings. There is nothing more satisfying to me than that "whump whump whump" as I drive over a 2-3 foot tall meadow and look backwards and see the path I just mowed.

I'm a simple man. 馃槅
yep......for me it is the sights sounds and smells of mowing hay........but in my younger years it was nice when she thought my tractor was sexy :)

Registered
My best tractor experience so far has been simply buying one. Never thought I would spend so much money on a machine, and now that I have one I just wonder why it took so long. It's made so many tasks I have to do regularly go from a chore to a pleasure to do.

Once you own a quality tool it's always a great experience when you get a chance to use it. To quote my FIL after having the right tools for a job to make it go smoothly, "Tools fella!"

Registered
Having spent more on a tractor than any other purchase other than a house, I would have laughed at you years ago if you had told me that would happen. In fact, I have never spent as much on a vehicle as I did my tractor.

Dave

Registered
My SCUT is one of the best purchases I ever made. The older I get, the less I like to lift and struggle. The tractor and pallet forks have paid for themselves hundreds of times over. I enjoy just about every minute I am using it.

Registered
Making hay is really great. You get to use a bunch of different attachments. You get to race against the weather. The fields look really nice all raked up into windrows waiting for the baler. Then in the winter months when it鈥檚 cold, wet and dreary and you bust open a bale of hay it takes you back to that hot summer afternoon just for an instant.
As a bonus, hay makes steaks and brisket. I really like both of those things.

Registered
Not actually 'on' a tractor but one of my favorite memories is at the silo, having two tractors side by side, stationary, working them hard in tandem and in harmony.
The red tractor was used on the silage wagons.
But we put the JD 435 Detroit Diesel, blown, 2 cylinder 2 stroke on the blower, screaming at full throttle.
You could almost see that tractor smile when it was throttled down after each load. It was a showoff and loved to work.

Premium Member
I run a crew of up to 10 operators and laborers running excavators, bulldozers and loaders and don鈥檛 get the seat time I used to so I come home and have a great time on my little tractor. On my time. How I want it. That to me is a great experience every time I fire it up

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are bringing back some good old memories: using a rotary cutter, making hay, tractor pulls, filling the silo.
When I sold my 4020, 13 years ago, I knew I was giving up a part of my life. The little L130 never filled the void. But when I got the 1025R last year, although a little SCUT, I felt that I gained back a part of my life. It's nice to be back in the saddle again! :):)

I don't think any of us will be getting rid of our tractors anytime soon.

Premium Member
Ok, I鈥檒l play. As much as I love my 4044R, I think the best times I had was when we first bought our place 35 years ago and picked up an old JD model M. I used the 14鈥 2 bottom plow to turn the 5 acre field over. It was quite a learning experience that most of the time didn鈥檛 go well. Trying to get the plow setup so it would not only dig correctly but scour itself off was a challenge. I tried using a 4鈥 grinder with a sanding disc to speed up the process, but nothing can polish a moldboard like soil passing over it. Once the shares and mold boards started getting a shine, things went a lot better. After plowing the second year, the shares and moldboards looked like chrome. Then, pulling an old worn out 6鈥 tandem disc with a tractor that had over a half of turn of play in the steering across the furrows was another adventure. I spent a lot of time plowing and discing back then that I can get done now with a cultivator and disc in less than 1/4 of the time. Would I want to do it again, no. But, looking back it was a great time in life.

Premium Member
This could become an adults only thread pretty quick. Let's just say the tractor doesn't have to be running for the best times. 馃槉
That was a Zamboni for me. 馃コ Edit: But I grew up on an Ice rink, so it was par for the course.

I'm going to echo most of the comments here, everytime I use it for anything it usually puts a smile on my face, even getting covered in grease and wrenching on it with busted knuckles (exaggeration, mostly work smarter as I age) it's part of the process that takes away stress.

Registered
I run excavators, dozers, loaders, etc. But running my little tractor beats all of that. Just getting on there & doing different projects at my home gives me more sastifaction then any of that. It's nice to sit back & say I did that with just that little guy over there.

Also this is another great experience I had on my tractor.

Registered
My best experience on a tractor goes back to the 1950鈥檚. My Grandfather would share the seat of his 60 JD with me while in the field. He taught me much during those many hours. As I got more experienced and had learned the knack of 鈥渄istance looking鈥 to drive straight and the spring work was wearing him down, he would nap as we traveled across the field and I would wake him to make the turns on the ends. I have not forgotten the sounds and smells or the sweet taste of the lemonade and cookies my Grandmother would bring us late in the afternoon.
Ken

Premium Member
I run excavators, dozers, loaders, etc. But running my little tractor beats all of that. Just getting on there & doing different projects at my home gives me more sastifaction then any of that. It's nice to sit back & say I did that with just that little guy over there.

Also this is another great experience I had on my tractor. View attachment 783354 View attachment 783357
My belly鈥檚 bigger than yours.

Registered
My belly鈥檚 bigger than yours.
馃槄
Well that's one thing you got on me then. Must of had alot of practice.馃槈

1 - 20 of 23 Posts