Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I had 20 minutes to try to get my jeep greased up and started to be put away for the season. I have a dual cardigan (sp) drive shaft on the rear and one of the two u joints but the transfer case would not accept grease. First I removed the little reverse nipples meant to accept a grease needle. I screwed in new zerks, but I could not get grease in.

So I went for a ride and got it warm, then tried, no luck.

I was thinking of a small propane torch to heat it up, but I fear melting the rubber seals.

My tractor u joints always take grease......

So what other tricks do you use to get grease into places that need it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Going eazy with a heat gun may break it loose without runining the seals or maybe carfully rattle the u-joint with your air hammer.

·
Premium Member
8,022 Posts
If you go the heat route, I vote for a heat gun over a propane torch. Open flames around vehicles makes me nervous, especially if it can be avoided.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I've had good luck using a grease needle on alemites (sp) that wouldn't take grease the regular way but it didn't work in your case. The only other thing I could suggest is a PVC pipe heater. It looks and operates like a hair dryer but at a much higher wattage. Electricians use it to "bend" PVC conduit by heating the pipe and shaping it to the "bend" needed. The heat would be less than a torch and safer also to use on your vehicle.
Good luck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sort of related. I needed a 45 degree grease fitting. Auto parts place is closest and more cost effective to just get an assortment pack instead of drive to deere dealer or other place. When I started to use the straight fittings in the pack it turned out brand new stuck in the grease gun the grease would go around not through. I suggest doing like that to see if it is the economy import fitting or a clog in the passage. I think trying to get a clog out with a drill (the bit as sometimes called) held by hand instead of forcing the crud in.

Fran

·
Registered
115 Posts
Go to alimites site and look for their zerk cleaner, picked one up with my grease gun at the NFMS and use it all the time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts