Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to mow the place, fired up the 2305, it the PTO, started out then, slam, bang boom.
Yipes, hit the PTO, headed back. The center spindle crapped out and the belt went all over.
I headed to JD to get a new spindle, i had a spare belt. Installed the spindle, put the belt on, headed back out.
Hit the PTO and i have a new sound, every now and again a loud ping sound. Back to the garage. I figured out it was the blade closest to the grass chute. i raised the deck up and took a peak, i couldn't see any marks or damage.
Off came the deck flipped it over and it turns out the center blade and the chute blade are hitting each other. I pulled the center pulley off thinking something must have happened to the spindle, it was nice and tight. Those spindles actually fit into the hole when you bolt them in so its almost impossible to shift.
I moved the blades around and made no difference, still hit. the blade gap between the center blade and the chute is about the thickness of a business card, the gap on the other side is 1/4" or more.

I have no idea what to do now. I had to fire up the ole 325 and mow, takes a lot longer.

I have no idea where to look or what to do now, any suggestions-greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
KC

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,828 Posts
Are all three blades level with each other?
Take the belts off and spin each blade by hand and look for imperfections.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Are all three blades level with each other?
Take the belts off and spin each blade by hand and look for imperfections.
X2

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did take the belt off, there was damage on the center and chute blades, on the corners. Looked like someone hit the corners with a hammer - hard.
I didn't check for bent blades. You wouldn't think a bent blade could hit the other blade-i learned something.. I'm going to swap the left blade with the center blade, leave the new blade on the chute and see what happens.
I will get back,
Thank You!
Mark

·
Premium Member
14,222 Posts
I'd suggest you check them and if bent, replace them.

Bent blades cut like crap and the vibration they can create can damage other things as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could the deck be bent someplace? It doesn't take much of a bend.
It was cutting fine until the spindle let loose, as soon as it let loose the belt went, i don't think a blade hitting the frame could bend it, those decks are very solid and are 1 piece. I'm having a hard time understand how a bent blade could hit another blade, the doesn't get longer. There are guys on this site who know a lot more than me, so i'm going with what they say. I'm going to get some new blade for sure.
Thank You!
KC

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Keith, I was thinking the same thing.,just a small bend could make a big difference.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,828 Posts
Keith, I was thinking the same thing.,just a small bend could make a big difference.
Been there..
While mowing the ditch line I hit a rather large piece of shot rock/riprap stone that went under the mower deck of the Toro 314. Bent two blades and bent the mower deck where the spindle bolts on. (Not sure how I will fix this) I did take the spindle off and bang the deck out the best I could to finish mowing, blade is still off by a good 1/8 inch.

Reactions: KC1

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been there..
In my case I didn't hit anything, the spindle failed. The new spindle looked perfect, no deflections, cracked paint nothing that i could see on the deck. I did not check to see if it was bent-as this is the spindle that failed, i will check for that.
I did attempt to take the chute spindle off, was not successful, i did spray it with lube and let it sit over night. I will get it off and see how it looks, something is out of wack.
You guys are right, it wouldn't take much of a deflection on either spindle to cause this problem.
Thank You!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know approximately what the gap between blades should be on a 62C deck, the center spindle and the chute spindle are about the thickness of a business card and the center spindle and the opposite spindle are at least a 1/4".
It's been suggested that it's possible that the chute spindle is problem.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know approximately what the gap between blades should be on a 62C deck, the center spindle and the chute spindle are about the thickness of a business card and the center spindle and the opposite spindle are at least a 1/4".
It's been suggested that it's possible that the chute spindle is problem.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When i bought the 2305 (used) several years ago i only used the deck for a short period before the center spindle blew out. Then i took the deck off and hadn't tried to use it until last week.
I have replaced both the center and the chute spindle. When i had the center spindle off i notice a slight bump on one of the bolt holes. I tapped it back down and that did make enough separation so the center and chute blades weren't hitting. I did some measurements and both the center and chute spindles are out of alignment to the deck. I think that at some point the deck got hit underneath and bumped the deck up slightly between the center and chute spindles. All i need is about 3/8" inch to get them in better alignment. I also noticed that both of the top pulley's were pretty much stripped and the chute pulley didn't have bushing on the top.
I was thinking of the best way to knock down on the deck between the two spindles, put a 4x4 piece of wood under the deck on the outside edge of the chute side and use a smaller piece of 4x4 on the top side between the two spindles and give it a wack with sledge hammer and recheck.
Maybe some has had to do this and has a better way of doing this?
I appreciate all the help i can get!
Thanks,
KC1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.