Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These things have suddenly appeared on my red twig dogwood bushes and are eating the leaves quickly. What are they? Will spinosad sprayed on there kill them and keep them away? (I have some of that on hand)

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,250 Posts
Not sure of their name, but we have them around here sometimes. I know we destroy them as soon as we see them, but I've always been told not to touch them either, they give toxins that will cause rash and other problems. I would give the spray that you have on hand a try.

·
Registered
142 Posts
These things have suddenly appeared on my red twig dogwood bushes and are eating the leaves quickly. What are they? Will spinosad sprayed on there kill them and keep them away? (I have some of that on hand) View attachment 797384
They are Dogwood Sawflies. Not a true caterpillar but the larvae of a type of wasp. A dogwood in my yard that died after a pine limb fell on it had these. I contacted the NCSU Extension and they sent me some info. Unfortunately if you see them at this stage it's sort of too late. You need to try and eradicate before they hatch. Do a search there is plenty of info out there.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,250 Posts
The larvae of a type of wasp
So maybe that explains the toxins from touching them. Again, not sure if it's true, just what I've always been told.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.