Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be ordering my forks this evening but having a hard time deciding between the 36" or the 42". I know that no matter what size I go with initially there will be a set of 24" in the future.

There are 12 lbs difference between the 36" and 42" forks but the 12 lbs is right at the end of the forks, how much effect will that have?

The first job I have to do with the forks is move a couple hundred cross ties. I know I am limited in the quantity that can be moved at once due to weight but it will still be better than moving them by hand. For other jobs, I have no idea what I will use them for other than lifting heavy stuff.

So someone spend my money and tell me 36" or 42"

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
42" :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
Going to be ordering my forks this evening but having a hard time deciding between the 36" or the 42". I know that no matter what size I go with initially there will be a set of 24" in the future.

There are 12 lbs difference between the 36" and 42" forks but the 12 lbs is right at the end of the forks, how much effect will that have?

The first job I have to do with the forks is move a couple hundred cross ties. I know I am limited in the quantity that can be moved at once due to weight but it will still be better than moving them by hand. For other jobs, I have no idea what I will use them for other than lifting heavy stuff.

So someone spend my money and tell me 36" or 42"
Good choice on the 42".
We ALL have the weight limitation. As for what else you will use them for...............I will assume you won't know how you managed without them in a few months.
Artillian makes a nice set of forks.

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
Oh man, what a huge mistake you just made-you really couldn't have waited longer than 31 minutes for someone to answer who knows what their talking about (not like^^^^^^above). :dunno::confused::gaah::banghead:

:p Just kidding, the 42" ones are a great size-you made the right choice IHMO

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I like my 42s as they carry more brush. I have a pallet that is close to 40" long so it fit nicely for firdewood. Can't stack a ton as the 1 Series isn't a forklift, but the extra lenth is nice. What all do you see needing from them. I find I have my forks on all the time for tons of different uses.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man, what a huge mistake you just made-you really couldn't have waited longer than 31 minutes for someone to answer who knows what their talking about (not like^^^^^^above). :dunno::confused::gaah::banghead:

:p Just kidding, the 42" ones are a great size-you made the right choice IHMO

I waited 41 minutes and just couldn't take it. The wife asked what I wanted for our anniversary, I told her and next thing I know she hands me her CC. Not only am I getting Artillian forks, I ain't payin for em.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
I waited 41 minutes and just couldn't take it. The wife asked what I wanted for our anniversary, I told her and next thing I know she hands me her CC. Not only am I getting Artillian forks, I ain't payin for em.
Yeah ok. I've been married for over 38 years and I saw right through that statement. Just Sayin!
Here comes the vacuum cleaner!:lol:

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I've got the 24s and 42s, the 36 weren't available when I bought. After having what I have, the 36s seem like they would always be too short, or too long. :laugh: The 24s are my go to forks. The 42s get swapped on when the extra length makes more sense...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered mine a few days ago. Fedex says they will be here on Wednesday! :yahoo: I also went with the 42 for a couple reasons. Somebody mentioned brush, that's a good one. I am intrigued by Artillian's grapple and thought that the 42s would be a good companion if a grapple purchase was in my future. Most importantly, I use forks to get pallets off the side of my equipment trailer all the time. It's nice to have the extra reach to pick up the pallet and drag it closer to you where you can get more of a bite on it.

Looking forward to trying them out!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered mine a few days ago. Fedex says they will be here on Wednesday! :yahoo: I also went with the 42 for a couple reasons. Somebody mentioned brush, that's a good one. I am intrigued by Artillian's grapple and thought that the 42s would be a good companion if a grapple purchase was in my future. Most importantly, I use forks to get pallets off the side of my equipment trailer all the time. It's nice to have the extra reach to pick up the pallet and drag it closer to you where you can get more of a bite on it.

Looking forward to trying them out!

Maybe I can talk Artillian into redirecting yours to me....Acworth - Cartersville, isn't that far apart.....I'd like to have mine on Wednesday.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry to be late to the party. Thanks much and congrats.

They will get shipped asahp, promise!

Fork length is as much of a personal preference as blonde, brunette, or red head - It's a hard choice. Frankly, you learn to work with whatever you have and you will always find times when you wish you had made the decision differently - about the forks, that is. :laugh:

Edit: Thank you and Happy Anniversary Mrs. PSR!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All,

Sorry to be late to the party. Thanks much and congrats.

They will get shipped asahp, promise!

Fork length is as much of a personal preference as blonde, brunette, or red head - It's a hard choice. Frankly, you learn to work with whatever you have and you will always find times when you wish you had made the decision differently - about the forks, that is. :laugh:

Edit: Thank you and Happy Anniversary Mrs. PSR!
Thanks! Out of curiosity, what is the lead time?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 42" is great for moving brush piles and loading up with logs but when I have to move large rocks they are too long. The breakout force is greatly reduced and usually go back to the bucket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
The 42" is great for moving brush piles and loading up with logs but when I have to move large rocks they are too long. The breakout force is greatly reduced and usually go back to the bucket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed. This was essentially the reason for the invention of the 24" forks. Plus, they can stab under buried objects like rocks, roots, and concrete slabs and pry them up.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Agreed. This was essentially the reason for the invention of the 24" forks. Plus, they can stab under buried objects like rocks, roots, and concrete slabs and pry them up.
And they are the bees knees for popping bushes out of the ground.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts