Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a walking path on a few acres of my property. I have a JD 1026R tractor, 26HP, 18 HP at the rear PTO, 3 pt hitch, 4WD. I have a front loader, snow/push blade, mid mount mower, ballast box for it.

First phase is to clear a path down a hill, fairly steep slope. Looks like there might have been a path many many years ago when this was a farm, but a lot of honeysuckle and small trees in the way. I'm thinking I'll also want to put down some surface material (crushed limestone, gravel, open to ideas) to build a better surface for taking tractor up and down hill as well as walking.

Phase two is to build a path about 4-5 ft wide around the base of the hill, about the size of a football field. Some trees to clear, but mostly fallen trees, brush, honeysuckle, looking to have it be a meandering path, not a perfect road surface.

Possible phase three would be to build a second access path from the opposite side of the property, but its pretty steep over there and not sure if I could use tractor.

So what methods should i use to build the path, smooth it down, lay some surface material down, etc? Rear blade, box blade, rake, etc? So far I've only used the tractor in the woods to clear off brush piles and cut/fallen trees with bucket of FEL.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would get a Ratchet Rake for the loader and use it to clear out the honeysuckle, small trees, etc. Once you've got it all cleared out, come back with a box blade and scrape it down a bit to firmer dirt to lay your gravel on.

That's what I'd do, but I'm no expert. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been toying around with some paths myself. Do the ratchet rakes actually work to remove some of the bigger brush? I have huge thorn bushes I have tried brush hogging but they are 7-8ft tall and basically impossible to drive over. The FEL just won't root them out either. I had to resort to a metal blade weed wacker to even cut them off near the ground.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would get a Ratchet Rake for the loader and use it to clear out the honeysuckle, small trees, etc. Once you've got it all cleared out, come back with a box blade and scrape it down a bit to firmer dirt to lay your gravel on.

That's what I'd do, but I'm no expert. :)
I agree with the Ratchet Rake. It's a great tool that works great for ripping out brush. I even ripped out stumps with ease. Then go back over it with the box blade. This is exactly when I did.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371953452.064340.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371953476.988021.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371953513.320532.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been toying around with some paths myself. Do the ratchet rakes actually work to remove some of the bigger brush? I have huge thorn bushes I have tried brush hogging but they are 7-8ft tall and basically impossible to drive over. The FEL just won't root them out either. I had to resort to a metal blade weed wacker to even cut them off near the ground.
I have ripped out some 10+ ft tall honeysuckle bushes with mine. I'm not sure what kind of thorn bushes you've got, but the RR is quite a powerful tool and makes a great addition to any loader IMHO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks guys I guess i know the next item I am getting for the JD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well i bought the rake and it definitely does a good job. A lot easier than spraying heavy herbicides hoping it kills the brush. IMG_1794.jpg IMG_1797.jpg IMG_1856.jpg IMG_1855.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I never heard of a ratchet rake. Looks awesome where do you buy them and how much are they?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I never heard of a ratchet rake. Looks awesome where do you buy them and how much are they?
I originally ordered one form TSC but they screwed around with delivery so I called the company directly and they shipped to my house for same price. I have never found a TSC that had them in stock although they insist they do regularly carry them. Since my last post I cleared off a 1/2 patch of hold grass on a back field to avoid plowing or tilling. New grass came in great, of course it is only pasture grass. I also cleared a few new paths and a backstop for my pistol range. (I had a hill covered with thick thorns bushes). It is easy to take on and off the FEL and clears 2" and under trees and roots. I pulled a number of big dead apple tree stumps out but it takes awhile. I would not recommend for that activity.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ratchet Rake gets my vote as well

I got one last fall from TSC, was in stock $299.00 I think + tax.
Works fantastic for brush and small buried roots. I wouldn't try stumps over 2" with it as you may damage loader pulling?? Grab the old chainsaw & cut that just below grade if you can.

Clears trails & overgrown brush quickly & environmentally friendly!! Photo0596.jpg Photo0595.jpg Photo0598.jpg

This has save me many hours of work with hand tools :greentractorride:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts