Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD 1025R tractor with the loader, quick connect deck , tiller, snow thrower etc. I love the 1025R, but the 1025R is heavy and tracks the yard some when you mow, so I want to buy a mower and just use the 1025 for the heavy stuff. This last year my father was injured in a accident and so I had to mow his yard for him for a while and he has a Grasshopper front mount mower. I've never been on it before, but I'm telling you that thing is awesome, it rides nice, mows nice and is so maneuverable. Plus the deck on the front just electronically flips up for easy cleaning and blade removal. I told myself, I want one of these, but I wanted to ask you guys what you think I should buy. The downside to the grasshopper is that it is about $12,000. I see the JD's and Ex mark mid mounts in the $6000-$8000 range and wondered if I should consider anything like that? I assume with the mid mount, I'm back to having to crawl under the mower to clean the deck and etc., correct? Let me know what you'd recommend. I have 2 1/2 acres. Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have a 1025R, but want a Grasshopper? Am I crazy!

OK, here's the scoop. Last Feb I traded in my old 445 for a new 1025R with the loader, 60" deck snow thrower etc. I absolutely love it! The 1025 does a decent job of mowing, but it is so heavy that it packs the grass down over time, so I have to keep changing directions or I start leaving tracks where the wheels go. Anyways, in Aug, My father was seriously injured in a accident, so I had to mow his yard for a while. I used his mower which is a front mount grasshopper. I had never been on one before, but that thing was amazing. It rode so smooth and was so maneuverable and the cut looked awesome. And then just push a button and the front deck just tilts right straight up to change the blades and clean it. After the first time I used it, I told myself that I wanted one of these. The bad thing is the cost of the new Grasshopper is about $12,000. I see all of these John Deere and X-marks in the $6000-$8000 range for the mid mounts, so I am wondering if I'd be as happy with one of those or if I should just bite the bullet and buy the grasshopper. Have any of you guys had much experience with mid mounts or the front mount grasshopper that you could tell me what I'd like or dislike about either. I was looking at a mid mount JD and some guy said , you don't want to compare a JD mid-mount to a Grasshopper front mount, if you've used the grasshopper front mount, you will never be as happy with the JD mid-mount. But he didn't get into detail as to why he said that. Could you guys give me some advice here as to your experiences with either style or brand? I'm thinking this would be a good time of year to make a good deal since it is winter time. I would like to have a mower just for doing a really nice job of mowing and keep the 1025 for all of the other stuff like tilling, snow blowing, loading stuff etc. . Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had Dixie Chopper for about 14 years, just got 1025R, have also owned grasshopper. I WAY prefer to mow with Dixie Chopper.

·
Registered
21,963 Posts
I can't compare the Grasshopper but.....

I had a Deere 757 along with my 2520. There is no comparison as far as mowing. The 757 lists for $10k though - don't know how the consumer grade zero turns are......in a perfect world I would still have both.

·
Administrator
20,466 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,472 Posts
Do you want a zero turn? I am a tractor guy, gotta have a steering wheel to put my hands on. Perhaps a 4 wheel steer Deere x534 or similar would be worth considering. I know they are handy for mowing around obstacles, not sure what your requirements are though. Maybe some more info would be helpful for more input from others.:good2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you want a zero turn? I am a tractor guy, gotta have a steering wheel to put my hands on. Perhaps a 4 wheel steer Deere x534 or similar would be worth considering. I know they are handy for mowing around obstacles, not sure what your requirements are though. Maybe some more info would be helpful for more input from others.:good2:
I guess the main thing that I liked about Dad's Grasshopper was the smooth ride, great cut, manuverablity and a biggy for me was the front deck flipping straight up to clean and change blades. I'm getting older and hate handling a #500lb. mower deck anymore. Hope that helps. Thanks

·
Corndog Hater
11,472 Posts
Yes those Grasshoppers are slick, a friend uses one in his mowing business. Unless you want 2 tractors a ZTR is probably the way to go. I cannot offer you much help though in that department, but others should be along.....Have fun in your quest!:good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,652 Posts
1025RGardner, A good ZTR probably weighs about the same or more than a JD 1025R.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1025RGardner, A good ZTR probably weighs about the same or more than a JD 1025R.
What happens is that for a good part of the year my yard has a lot of clover in it with the little white flowers and the front tires of the 1025 smash it down, so when the deck goes over it , it only cuts the clover off between the tires and when I'm done my yard has white stripes all over where the little flowers didn't get cut. Even my neighbor across the street came over to ask me what was wrong . He thought my deck was not level or something because when you look at the yard it is just green/white/green/white stripes. The grasshopper dealer said that the big advantage that their front mount deck has is that the only thing that rolls over the grass before the deck cuts it is the casters on the very front and the only weight on them is the front half of the deck, so it doesn't press the grass etc. down so much before it gets mowed. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
21,963 Posts
Eh - I never cared what other people think....

I mow with my 2520 with loaded rear tires. Yes I get some minor ruts here and there but don't care. A mid-mount zero-turn will have minimal compaction with the front tires only ~3" wide. But it sounds like you have already talked yourself into a Grasshopper.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Eh - I never cared what other people think....

I mow with my 2520 with loaded rear tires. Yes I get some minor ruts here and there but don't care. A mid-mount zero-turn will have minimal compaction with the front tires only ~3" wide. But it sounds like you have already talked yourself into a Grasshopper.
I don't really care what the neighbors's think either, he was just confirming that the yard looked stupid. I would love to have the grasshopper, but not sure I want to put that much $$$ into just a mower. I had no desire specifically for a grasshopper until I used my Dad's

·
Registered
21,963 Posts
I don't really care what the neighbors's think either, he was just confirming that the yard looked stupid. I would love to have the grasshopper, but not sure I want to put that much $$$ into just a mower. I had no desire specifically for a grasshopper until I used my Dad's
I think the same goes for any zero-turn - once you try one and get on to how it works you'll want one for sure. Of course we've had threads here that have folks with differering opinions. If money wasn't the problem I would still have my 757 - it was the perfect combination having that for mowing and my 2520 for everything else.

Another thing to think about - a machine like you are talking about would last you the rest of your life.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the same goes for any zero-turn - once you try one and get on to how it works you'll want one for sure. Of course we've had threads here that have folks with differering opinions. If money wasn't the problem I would still have my 757 - it was the perfect combination having that for mowing and my 2520 for everything else.

Another thing to think about - a machine like you are talking about would last you the rest of your life.
Thanks for the tips. As far as lasting the rest of my life, I could probably buy a Sears craftsman brand and it would outlast me. Just kiddin, I'm only 54, but feel like I'm 90! It must be a winter thing. Yesterday, for the first time this year, I was able to take the 1025R out with the 54" snow thrower on it and , wow, that thing is a snow blowing beast compared to my old gas 445. The 445 would run out of power in deep snow and the 1025R just growls and keeps rolling. It's nice not to have to put chains on the tires anymore either. I Love the 1025R!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
If the clover is the problem, why don't you spray it? It is easy to kill and control with a good broadleaf killer.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,652 Posts
1025RGardner, Just out of curiosity, what is your mowing height?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the clover is the problem, why don't you spray it? It is easy to kill and control with a good broadleaf killer.
Yeh, I actually called a guy that came out this fall and sprayed the yard and then he said he will come back in the spring for crabgrass etc. and then do weed control and fertilizer. I'm sure that will help. That stupid clover is so heavy and wet even when the grass is dry. Dandelions are a pain too!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts