Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rotary cutter, bush hog, brush hog. Whatever you wanna call it lol.

My sister and her husband just bought land. About 2 acres of it needs hogged. I have about 2 acres that I would use the BH if I just had one. But my zero turn works just fine for it. I just keep it on the highest setting and pic up sticks. I never let it get bad enough.

My sister would put $300 towards it for me to get it and to go help. I’m just having trouble justify getting one since it will only get used once a year or so.

So what kind of rotary cutter do you guys have and what’s the price. Deer has done told me $1300 with 5.6% Interest. I was hoping they had 0%. And I would have just done it. I have the cash so that’s not the problem. Just don’t want to throw money away. I’d rather put it towards a grapple or something that I would use a lot more with all the falling sticks and stuff on my 2 acres

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

My sister and her husband just bought land. About 2 acres of it needs hogged. I have about 2 acres that I would use the BH if I just had one. But my zero turn works just fine for it. I just keep it on the highest setting and pic up sticks. I never let it get bad enough.

My sister would put $300 towards it for me to get it and to go help. I’m just having trouble justify getting one since it will only get used once a year or so.

So what kind of rotary cutter do you guys have and what’s the price. Deer has done told me $1300 with 5.6% Interest. I was hoping they had 0%. And I would have just done it. I have the cash so that’s not the problem. Just don’t want to throw money away. I’d rather put it towards a grapple or something that I would use a lot more with all the falling sticks and stuff on my 2 acres
I have the RC2048 Frontier Mower with the Slip clutch and also the safety chains front and rear. Very nice mower and engineered to work perfectly with the 1025R. I like it and used it at least 20 hours worth of mowing already. Most of the time I am using it, others are paying me to mow with it at $95 per hour so already, it's more than paid for itself in 6 months. I mow 10 acres adjoining my property with it and also I mow the perimeter of our 40 acres, which equates to nearly a mile per round. I usually mow 5 or 6 widths around the 40 acres, plus the river front.

Having a Deere mower with the I Match means complete compatibility. One source for parts and service. While there are less expensive mowers out there, there are also lower quality options available. Personally, I stick with Frontier / Deere when possible and buy quality and not price on the other implements.

I bought a King Kutter Carry all frame and the very first thing Mrs. Bear said was "I sure hope you are painting that thing before anything else." She was right and I painted it to match the Deere....:laugh:

Get a slip clutch so you protect your tractor's very expensive PTO system. You will be amazed at what is in that very tall grass you are likely to find.....For example;

Attachments

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
go get ya one at TSC for somewhere around 4 or 500 bucks. use a coupon on it. they sell county line ones up here-and they seem to be as good as the frontier ones-so be price difference. TSC has no chain guards on theirs-but if ya want chain guards i think the county line ones u can install them-i think:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
If you are mowing an area for the first time, I strongly suggest walking the field and looking for hidden dangers. ALso, I strongly suggest you mow with the bucket down in front of you, with the leading edge tipped up, but with the very bottom of the bucket (when the leading edge is rolled up) about 6" off the ground. That way if you encounter a big rock, stump or other such UN-pleasantry, you are aware of it before you hit it. Some of the grass and stuff can be serious thick and hide a lot of dangerous items.

Check out this picture.

Here is what is in there.....

No vertical marker and if you look at the first picture, you can see a very light tint of red in the brush. I trimmed around it with my hand held brush cutter to locate it and also locate the cast iron shut off valve pipe.

These types of surprises lurk when mowing........Especially very thick and heavy stuff.....

Attachments

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

You could also rent a tractor and brush hog for $300 or less if you really don't need one. If you can cut your sisters land down and maintain it with the zero turn, I would rent a tractor and mower. Better yet if the place will rent you just the mower but chances are they won't and chances are they won't have a 4' mower and anything larger than that is really pushing it on your tractor.

You should be able to cut the 2 acres with a brush hog in an hour or maybe two at the most, depending how thick and rough it is.

The brush hog style mowers are one of those things that once others know you have it, they are likely to want it used on their property. While I don't mind helping people out, it's unreasonable for people to think you should spend $20k for a tractor, loader, rear mower, etc. and expect you should work it for free solving their problems. If you have a chance to use one and get reimbursed the costs for your time and the tractor, then consider owning one. But if its really a one off or very limited use, then pay someone else or rent the equipment.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the RC2048 Frontier Mower with the Slip clutch and also the safety chains front and rear. Very nice mower and engineered to work perfectly with the 1025R. I like it and used it at least 20 hours worth of mowing already. Most of the time I am using it, others are paying me to mow with it at $95 per hour so already, it's more than paid for itself in 6 months. I mow 10 acres adjoining my property with it and also I mow the perimeter of our 40 acres, which equates to nearly a mile per round. I usually mow 5 or 6 widths around the 40 acres, plus the river front.

Having a Deere mower with the I Match means complete compatibility. One source for parts and service. While there are less expensive mowers out there, there are also lower quality options available. Personally, I stick with Frontier / Deere when possible and buy quality and not price on the other implements.

I bought a King Kutter Carry all frame and the very first thing Mrs. Bear said was "I sure hope you are painting that thing before anything else." She was right and I painted it to match the Deere....:laugh:

Get a slip clutch so you protect your tractor's very expensive PTO system. You will be amazed at what is in that very tall grass you are likely to find.....For example;

Trust me. I’m doing everything I can to talk myself into the Deere one. It wouldn’t be an issue if I needed more. That’s awesome getting that much an hour. Especially with a smaller hog. My friend knows someone that will hog for $60 an hour. That’s why my sister is willing to help me get one. I own my own business doing trim work with insurances & workmens comp. I work 6-7 days a week. So im not looking to go make money with it. Even though that would be fun.. If a family member knows someone that needs it done. I’d go do it. But then I’d charge a lot less also to help them out. Not a win for me lol.
Dang that sucks. I’ll look into the slip clutch ASAP. Haven’t seen that. Over a year of owning my 1025 and not even sure i know how to turn the pto on but less if it even works. All box blade, trailer hitch, and backhoe.

go get ya one at TSC for somewhere around 4 or 500 bucks. use a coupon on it. they sell county line ones up here-and they seem to be as good as the frontier ones-so be price difference. TSC has no chain guards on theirs-but if ya want chain guards i think the county line ones u can install them-i think:thumbup1gif:
Dang BIg Jim. Where do you get this coupon at? I’ve been watching them for months. And they are $1000 bucks. I don’t even wanna spend $1000 since I don’t think I’ll use it much. But I’d gladly spend $300 more for the Deere if i must get one at this price. But if i can get it for 4-500 I’d get it today.

Do you know which one can be used? Reading the reviews the orange one with 2 wheels is the one that I must use and is compatible with the 1025. It says I HAVE to get it shipped for $200. That’s $1200. Ain’t doing it.
The more yellowish one is $1000 and I’m pretty sure they keep it in stock. So no shipping. But reading the questions and all. It says that it’s not compatible with the 1025. Any idea why it can’t be used.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-rotary-cutter-sc-4-ft?cm_vc=-10005
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-rotary-cutter-4-ft?cm_vc=-10005

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are mowing an area for the first time, I strongly suggest walking the field and looking for hidden dangers. ALso, I strongly suggest you mow with the bucket down in front of you, with the leading edge tipped up, but with the very bottom of the bucket (when the leading edge is rolled up) about 6" off the ground. That way if you encounter a big rock, stump or other such UN-pleasantry, you are aware of it before you hit it. Some of the grass and stuff can be serious thick and hide a lot of dangerous items.

Check out this picture.

Here is what is in there.....

No vertical marker and if you look at the first picture, you can see a very light tint of red in the brush. I trimmed around it with my hand held brush cutter to locate it and also locate the cast iron shut off valve pipe.

These types of surprises lurk when mowing........Especially very thick and heavy stuff.....

Wow. The 1025 and 2048 cut that? And thanks for that info. I happen to see a post on here the other day and someone had there bucket down. Someone was glad to see that and explained why. That was good info because I did not know that till just the other day. I have a bad memory so i don’t remember who’s or what post it was haha.

Yeah. We got a guy to come for $300 if i don’t make the plunge for the cutter. But I’m a man. And i want a new tool. I’m still debating it and trying to pull the trigger lol

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Dang BIg Jim. Where do you get this coupon at? I’ve been watching them for months. And they are $1000 bucks. I don’t even wanna spend $1000 since I don’t think I’ll use it much. But I’d gladly spend $300 more for the Deere if i must get one at this price. But if i can get it for 4-500 I’d get it today.

Do you know which one can be used? Reading the reviews the orange one with 2 wheels is the one that I must use and is compatible with the 1025. It says I HAVE to get it shipped for $200. That’s $1200. Ain’t doing it.
The more yellowish one is $1000 and I’m pretty sure they keep it in stock. So no shipping. But reading the questions and all. It says that it’s not compatible with the 1025. Any idea why it can’t be used.
:banghead:my god have them things gone up in price-i-yi-yi. yeah at that price of a $1,000. i too think ya might as well stay with the frontier one.

i gar-run-tee it that i'm not selling my jd Mx-4fter cheap now. i think i paid in the range of $1,600 for it back in 2006:dunno: i might be all wet about the that price-i would have to go dig out my receipts for it-to make sure:unknown::unknown:

i suppose ur only option is to start watching craigslist for a used one that is close to ya-and in good shape. fall is sometimes a good time for one. course i've been looking for a good decent 5 fter for yrs. nuthing right around me. course i want one like my 4 ft-i-match compatible and all.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve been watching Facebook market, CL, and let go.

I’ve determined that either NOBODY is buying a 4’ cutter. Or NOBODY. Is seeking it after they buy it.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts

:banghead:my god have them things gone up in price-i-yi-yi. yeah at that price of a $1,000. i too think ya might as well stay with the frontier one.

i gar-run-tee it that i'm not selling my jd Mx-4fter cheap now. i think i paid in the range of $1,600 for it back in 2006:dunno: i might be all wet about the that price-i would have to go dig out my receipts for it-to make sure:unknown::unknown:

i suppose ur only option is to start watching craigslist for a used one that is close to ya-and in good shape. fall is sometimes a good time for one. course i've been looking for a good decent 5 fter for yrs. nuthing right around me. course i want one like my 4 ft-i-match compatible and all.
Don't believe everything you read, the orange County Line implements are their "sub-compact" line and are not quick hitch compatible, I have yellow County line 48" rotary cutter that I ran that with my 1023E just fine. In case you missed it, beware of the Orange implements if you plan on using a quick hitch.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I have a king Kutter XB 48 that I like so far. Cost was just under $1,000

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

Woods RC4 here for 1200. I bought it mainly because it was available within driving distance. Everywhere else I had to wait, or ship, which was expensive.

Yes it's orange, but so far, so good.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Go get yourself a tractor supply coupon and get that yellow county line 48" cutter, you'll be under 1K in price and they stock them, no shipping. They are decent rigs and are actually made by Tarter.

Tarter Farm and Ranch Equipment | American Made Quality Since 1945

I have the 5ft. It works great for me, and quick hitch compatible.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I picked up a RC2048, slightly used but near new from my dealer for $1000. Sometimes it's just right place, right time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a Frontier RC2048 that I use with my 1025R and imatch. I use the rotary cutter on average once a week for 5 acre pasture mowIng. In the summer I cut coastal bermuda grass, which has some large patches of crabgrass in several spots. I set the RC at 6 inches for that. In the winter I cut winter rye, a mix of Winterhawk and Flying A. These rye grasses have a fairly thick leaf and I cut it at 7.5 inches.

Before I bought the RC I used my 60D MMM for the pastures, but even on the highesst setting it mowed too short. Now the MMM just does my non-grazing areas.

My opinion of the 48 inch RC is that the 1025R lacks power to run it well. I get really bogged down in the crabgrass and in the winter rye. It does a good job on bermuda. And. I cut oftern so I'm not trying to cut off a great percentage of the grass height. And I have the leading edge of the RC set one inch lower than the back. If fuel use is an indication of how hard the tractor has to work, it takes 1/2 tank of fuel to mow everything I have with the MMM. With the RC, today for example, I used over 3/4 of the full tank. That's pretty consistent.

Another thing about the RC2048 is that at the setup for mowing at 6 inches, the tractor just barely gets the tail wheel off the ground. On any uneven terrain the tail wheel is bouncing along. At the 7.5 and 9 inch settings, you have to drag the RC on the tail wheel from the barn to wherver you are going to cut.

I haven't used the RC2048 in underbrush, but based on how it can struggle to cut thick-bladed grass with the 1025R, I wonder how the 1025R and RC2048 would do. Does anyone know what thickness brush stems the RC2048 is rated for?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Been thinking more about my last response.

When the tractor really bogs down for me the RC is trying to cut a dense sea of grass blades. The blades are constantly being worked.

Cutting brush might be easier for the cutter. In effect, the blades get more time to rest from cutting, and are better able to maintain their speed. So, the RC might be more efficient for brush than grass, and use less tractor power.

Does that make any sense?:dunno:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I haven't used the RC2048 in underbrush, but based on how it can struggle to cut thick-bladed grass with the 1025R, I wonder how the 1025R and RC2048 would do. Does anyone know what thickness brush stems the RC2048 is rated for?

I just got new 1025r and rc2048 delivered last week. Used the cutter to mow heavy brush on about 2 acres of power line. Took about 3 1/2 hrs for initial cut but that's because it hadn't been done in the 15 yrs I've lived here and I didn't know what was there and all the dips and holes. It cut it all! Was from waist to head high with a hundred or so little pines and some areas so thick with briars and vines it was impossible to walk through. That's mostly what I'll use it for a few times a year. That and cleaning out some woods. It worked like a champ. I was surprised I had as little trouble as I did. I definitely wasn't trying to break any land speed records doing it though.
(was having fun so I took a lot of pics)

2018 1025R, 120R Loader, 60D MMM, BB2048, RC2048

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cutting brush might be easier for the cutter. In effect, the blades get more time to rest from cutting, and are better able to maintain their speed. So, the RC might be more efficient for brush than grass, and use less tractor power.

Does that make any sense?:dunno:
It does make sense. The thick grass could definitely cause more bog. Mine bogged in that field more on the real thick grass than it did on the rough brush and pine trees

2018 1025R, 120R Loader, 60D MMM, BB2048, RC2048

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tall grass bogs any of my cutters down more than brush does. I suspect it is moisture in the grass that does it. However tall Johnson grass is very easy to mow, the 1025R just gobbles it up.

I recently bought a nearly new RC2048 for our 2016 1025R for $800. Never brushhogged with a tractor that small. My other tractor, a 3032E was stuck on a jobsite many miles from the house, and I needed to get caught up on bushhogging. So I hitched on my RC2060 to the 1025R an proceeded to clean up under several pecan trees. It did fine, mowing briars, 1" elms and oaks. Did a lot better than I thought it would.

So we went and bought a RC2048 for the 1025R that weekend. It is the perfect size and length for the 1025R, and works perfect with the imatch. The Woods RC4 is the only other 4ft cutter I have seen that I really like besides the RC2048.

First run with the RC2048 was clearing cedar trees 5 feet tall, and persimmons with briars mixed in. I do a lot of mowing going backwards because of the diameter of the brush I mow. I did about 10 acres of this in the course of a few afternoons, and moved on to other parts of our property and spot mowed persimmons for several more afternoons until I got my 3032E back home.

Overall I am very pleased with the performance of the RC2048, it is well balanced and match to the 1025R. Mows just like a big tractor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts