Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I found out that my digital camera took pics that were to big, so I took some new ones this afternoon. In order, the 70 diesel standard, had water in the block because they siliconed the head gasket. ..complete with busted flywheel, common to the 70s when they got shut down hard or the wrong way. It should ne a running tractor in a couple weeks.

Next is the GP built the same day as the last major serial number change tractor and its optioned out. I do have a full set of steel for it. Local 1 owner never been further than 15 miles from my house.

Next the 80, kinda rough but rare enough to me that its worth it, I do have everything for it, and its younger brother, the 830.

The 60 orchard. Other than sheet metal its all there and not stuck. There are some questions surrounding it, whether it was an all fuel or lpg. Either way, still rare, and I have a 60 low seat standard to go with it.

Then the 70/720 diesel family

The ar and 620.

I have a couple early d's, one is a match to the Gp, and then various other 2 cylinders.

What does everybody else have going on?

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was sure hoping to see some pictures of what other folks were working on, that always interests me to see what else is going on in the 2 cylinder world....

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
I've got a thread going on in the restoration forum. I'm in the middle of a mild restoration of my model 60.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374722389.921394.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374722420.551495.jpg

Got a small collection of differentials....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374722453.554462.jpg

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
When I get the 70 finished, whenever that is, :dunno: gonna start on some larger machines and take a break from 2 cylinders. One is an articulated 4x4.

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang diesel, thats a mild restoration? Haha your doing more than a lot people do on a "full" restoration, if you dont mind me asking, why did you pull the rear off?

G&R Man, I would like to see your 70. What 4wheel tractor you got in mind? Ive been half a searching for a 7520....

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Dang diesel, thats a mild restoration? Haha your doing more than a lot people do on a "full" restoration, if you dont mind me asking, why did you pull the rear off?
I'm calling it a mild restoration because the plan includes getting it working perfectly mechanically, not necessarily appearance wise. It won't be exactly factory correct either. No parade queens here.:good2:

The rear-end is separated right now because the original differential gear has a broken tooth.

IMG_2664.jpg IMG_2669.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
These are some of my projects. 530 is currently missing the hood, changed the exhaust manifold but I need to replace the exhaust pipe, muffler & exhaust bracket. Hood has couple dents & the grill needs to be straightened abit. Runs with power steering & 3 point hitch, needs new fenders with lights. Found that oone for $1000. Couldn't pass it up. AN needs some carb work, but have most of the parts to complete, hoping to have it ready for the Mackinac bridge ride. The '40B needs hood patched or replaced, aswell as the 3 piece battery cover, carb needs rebuilt, missing 1 7inch light & bracket, aswell as the lens for the rear light. The '48 KB-7 I'm looking for a cummins for it before diving into it. Want to use it for a tractor hauler, I have a air ride suspention for it that could go in at any time. Want to make a tilt load for it, be awhile before it gets completed I'm sure. The 80 needs the pup pulled apart & looked at. Had it running when I got it, but didn't have enough power to start the diesel, found one of the pistons had no compression. I rolled it over with a screw driver on the piston to find it never moved, but engine never made noise when it was running to indicate broken rod. Pulling it apart when some of the other projects are out of the way. Been pull starting it, big engine works great, no smoke. '38D needs new head gasket, aswell as exhaust manifold gaskets replaced, like to repaint with classic Green. '72 chev is the latest purchase, needs some tlc, but will look good with the snowco trailer & '64 110.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Welcome. You have a great collection.

Don :usa

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, We tend to fix the nessasary evils, paint 'em & take them to the local parades, most importantly we just enjoy the hell out of them. Think there's 17 in all, family hobby & that makes it time well spent. Couple more of mine, the B was for my 9 year old daughter, forgot to get the B decals made.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wish my 80 looked 1/2 as good ha!

what type of cummings are you looking for for your tractor puller?

i am currently thinning the herd, getting rid of duplicates and some others that i know i probably wont get too, i am trying real hard NOT to be that guy that says "awww someday im gonna fix that thing up" im getting to far behind, plus building a new shop just to keep the farm running let alone restore tractors and pickups

I did swing a deal on a odd serial number 630, LP with a single front wheel though

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking for a cummins out of a dodge truck, not real fussy on year, but would like to be close to the 300hp range. Truck runs but only has 98hp if memory serves me well. Local guy put a cummins in a kb-5 & fit well & the 7's a bigger body style. I hear ya on to many projects & not enough time. Hoping to get the hauler in the garage late next year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Truck engine comment.......

Newbie here!!!! (1958 720 Gas tractor.......will start in Southern Ohio winters.........)

And a 'no-more-diesels-for-me' person also. I have an '04 Ford, 96,000 miles, 250, w/sick-o diesel engine. This is my first & last auto/small truck diesel. There is no engine water heater plug in on this truck. Even this modern a one will not start reliably in cold weather. I must keep it in a heatable garage if the temp is going below 20. In one of my irritation fits, I told myself that I would get a 500" Cadillac engine from a scrapper & replace the diesel........just not practical & I am getting too old to even entertain this sort of work any more (75 in Jan.).

My older small truck engine replacement would be 500" Cadillac engine, these came in several years in the El-Dorados & the bigger 4dr cars 1975 & 76 for sure. These weigh little more than a small block Chev & have 4 1/4 or 4 1/2 stroke & an equal bore size. Cant remember the HP, gonna guess 425...int-net research it if you want exact information. Way more torque than most auto/small truck diesels can hope to make & certainly a wider rpm range, I'm guessing 4500-5000 tops.....& it will start in cold weather!!!! These are new enuff to have hardened exhaust valve seats & 8+ compression to accommodate todays junky gasoline.

I know a race car engine builder who replaced his Dodge diesel (Cummins) with a fresh, stock rebuild of a 1972 455 Buick.....said that made all the difference in the world..........its history now, someone who borrowed it got T-boned on the way to pick up engine parts.

PJH

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
You got the wrong diesel, and I am sure it would sour most. I LOVE my 7.3L, but those are not available anymore. That's why I hope my '03 F-250 runs FOREVER!

I had a 6.2L in a Chevy, and if I hadn't been in love with a diesel before that, I would have never owned another one! That old saying of "one bad apple", spoiling things, can be so true.

I'm sure I am not alone when I say, please post photos, if you do an engine swap, as well as telling of difficulties encountered, and how you solved them. Most of us have projects we are doing, or in my own case, *should* be doing!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,755 Posts
heckinohio, can you add your location to your profile?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Location......

farmgirl19......My step father was the local GMC dealer here since the 1940's, he would have rolled over in his grave should he have known I bought a 'Ford'. I played 53 years of drag race w/Pontiacs. Worked for him for a short spell at the end of the V-6 era, construction work was having a dry spell. I was supposed to inherit the biz....but he and my mother worked 26hr/8days a week at it & I was too interested in playing to justify that. I am kinda lost on a replacement for the Ford, I have a '97 GMC old farmer-mans truck in LN condition. Garage kept, yadda, yadda, & etc.. I need to leave a reliable 3/4 ton FWD w/cab & a 1/2 for her when I check out......will NEVER be a furriner!!!!!

gizmo2.......User name should be a clue.....heckinOHIO.....Gallipolis,...I am in SW corner, along the Ohio River where it joins the Kanawha, about mile 275 along the rivers length. Half way between Pittsburg & Cincinnati. Around Christmas, Dec 17, 1967, I think, the bridge across the Ohio River fell taking 30plus who were on the bridge with it. Not a good memory, but should be able to research it on the Int-net. Bob Evans lived here......his son still does.

I was going to ad an avatar & additional details but I couldnt figger out how to do it. Why wasnt that in the registration page??? or was it???

PJH

Race cars pictures, early to mid 2000s, N.Ohio & N.Car........many HPs here!!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey heckinohio, how come you didnt post a pic of the 720 pullin the front wheels off the ground? i got a 5 bottom plow we could hook up to it to knock out an action picture like that! haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wheels up!!!

I have a couple posts on this site...(found the pict)...seems in one of them, Donna is sitting on our 2002 5420, smallest 4cyl w/out FWD. If conditions are such that I cant do it with 2WD, I will stay in the house!!!!

Anyway, the 10' JD mower behind the 5420 is usually behind the 720. Most steeper hills find one or both front wheels off the ground for short periods........but no photos!!!!! I do have the full set of weights on the front of the 720 The design of the factory weights is such that I think I can use a piece of 2" thick x 18" sq. steel (artillery piece target) to add about 150# should I get leery.

PJH

1 - 20 of 35 Posts