Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1026R series 1 green machine :greentractorride: and a 647 John Deere 48" tiller. The tiller manual recommends a PTO speed of 540 rpm to the tiller. (For years I've thought the recommendation was 440 rpm which I thought was plenty fast. :mocking: )

-2.jpg

So I'm wondering what others might be running to their 647 or similar tiller. :unknown:

TILLED GARDEN.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run my 655 tiller at the recommended 540rpm.

What would be a benefit to running it slower? (Just curious)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
JDSwan87 ~ I'm not sure there is any benefit to a slower speed other the fuel usage. However I do suspect that at 540rpm you'd possibly get a finer tilled output, which is what we all want anyhow I think. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Do you guys have a tach on your 1 family tractors? (owns a x758 doesn't know better :dunno: ) If you do have a tach how do you know the RPM of the PTO, isn't the tach showing you engine RPM not implement RPM?

·
Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Do you guys have a tach on your 1 family tractors? (owns a x758 doesn't know better :dunno: ) If you do have a tach how do you know the RPM of the PTO, isn't the tach showing you engine RPM not implement RPM?
On most tractors with a tach there is a PTO icon or indicator on the dial face showing the engine RPM required to achieve 540 RPM on the PTO. Some modern LCD instrument clusters also have the ability to display the PTO RPM on the digital LCD display.

tach.jpg

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
On most tractors with a tach there is a PTO icon or indicator on the dial face showing the engine RPM required to achieve 540 RPM on the PTO. Some modern LCD instrument clusters also have the ability to display the PTO RPM on the digital LCD display.

View attachment 605458
Yeah, my 1025r will switch to showing PTO speed instead of engine hours when PTO is running. Also has the indicator for 540 marked on the tach.

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, pull the knob to engage the pto and the pto rpm in noted in the engine rmp window.

Yeah, my 1025r will switch to showing PTO speed instead of engine hours when PTO is running. Also has the indicator for 540 marked on the tach.
:thumbup1gif: I never noticed a mark on the tach for 540rpm but I'll have to look again.

·
Premium Member
12,893 Posts
Yep, pull the knob to engage the pto and the pto rpm in noted in the engine rmp window.

:thumbup1gif: I never noticed a mark on the tach for 540rpm but I'll have to look again.
Should be around the 3200 rpm mark marlin.

·
Premium Member
11,355 Posts
I never noticed a mark on the tach for 540rpm but I'll have to look again.
I believe this is the 1026R dash. Red arrow points to PTO mark.

1026R_dash.jpg

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I generally run my 1026r @ full throttle, when doing pto work. Put a load on the tractor and the rpms will be close to to pto mark , at times it drops a bit below the mark .

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I generally run my 1026r @ full throttle, when doing pto work. Put a load on the tractor and the rpms will be close to to pto mark , at times it drops a bit below the mark .
Me too. All my life on the farm, taught to run full throttle for PTO implements.
Like you say, when Tractor is under load, the RPMs drop to close to 540rpm anyway.

Faster is better.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
On a compact, subcompact Or above I have no issues at 540. On my 112 and 400 I would take the first pass at half throttle especially in hard dirt or sod. Otherwise it shook the tiller pretty good or it would bite in and take me for a ride. The garden tractor with turf tires doesn’t provide a lot of resistance on sod to told back a tiller

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What would be a benefit to running it slower? (Just curious)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Depending on what your tilling, running slower allows less damage if you find a hidden treasure in the ground. Only on a existing garden will I run recommended RPMs. Other times I will run engine RPMs where ever I need them to do what I want done..

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
On a compact, subcompact Or above I have no issues at 540. On my 112 and 400 I would take the first pass at half throttle especially in hard dirt or sod. Otherwise it shook the tiller pretty good or it would bite in and take me for a ride. The garden tractor with turf tires doesn’t provide a lot of resistance on sod to told back a tiller
Years ago I had a Sears garden tractor that had a Cat 0 3-point and a 3-point tiller that had it's own 8hp engine. I wasn't paying attention one time and dropped the tiller to the (hard) ground while I had the clutch pushed in on the tractor. Talk about a ride, felt like I was doing 30 mph across the yard before it finally dawned on me to raise the tiller. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Thank you, learned something new. I haven't been on anything larger than my x758 and I haven't installed a 3pt or rear PTO yet. I've seen plenty of guys with that front mount pto for their snowblowers... wasn't sure how they knew that they were at proper operating RPM to not make the engine sluggish. There must be a different indicator or marker that pops up on our digital display.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Years ago I had a Sears garden tractor that had a Cat 0 3-point and a 3-point tiller that had it's own 8hp engine. I wasn't paying attention one time and dropped the tiller to the (hard) ground while I had the clutch pushed in on the tractor. Talk about a ride, felt like I was doing 30 mph across the yard before it finally dawned on me to raise the tiller. :laugh:

Its refreshing to know I'm not the only one capable of something like this. :lolol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Depends what I'm doing.
Breaking sod or heavy soil, WOT = 540 PTO
Grass prep ~ 2200 rpm
Typical garden or tree row tilling 2200-2500 rpm

Of course, we have really sandy soil here, so any it becomes powder extremely easily, so anything to keep some texture to it is a bonus, otherwise it just blows away.

Ground speed also plays a factor.
If you slow the rpm, but just crawl along, then it is still pulverizing the soil.
WOT and ground speed up can actually leave a better texture.

IMO, it is always situationally dependent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts