Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1023e with 54" deck...assuming flat ground and "normal" yard mowing (not heavy or wet) - any favorite RPM setting? I've settled in at about 2250 or 2300 and it never seems to bog or work hard even up hills.

Not sure there's any magic to it, just curious and wanted to ask. Only 5 hours on the machine so far

·
Premium Member
13,934 Posts
Per manual 3200.

I have mowed at 2800 ,on level ground, but at that setting if in thicker or damp grass your deck will start to clog ,to a degree .

Your tractor is designed to run and mow all day at 3200 , doesn't matter if using the mid or rear pto.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Per manual 3200.

I have mowed at 2800 ,on level ground, but at that setting if in thicker or damp grass your deck will start to clog ,to a degree .

Your tractor is designed to run and mow all day at 3200 , doesn't matter if using the mid or rear pto.
I agree, mid PTO at 2100 per the manual. I don’t see any reason to do otherwise.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
This has been discussed many times, I'll go against the WOT grain and say I mow at 27-2800 rpms. Absolutely no difference in cut quality between that and 3200, I've actually run at 2500 rpms with the same evaluation. But I like the way my engine sounds at 2800 so there is that. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,934 Posts
I agree, mid PTO at 2100 per the manual. I don’t see any reason to do otherwise.
but you're running a 2 series not a 1 series.

2200 is just barely about idle for the 1 series.

As PJR 27-2800 sounds so much nicer, higher rpm keeps the fluids flowing better also than 2250-2300.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts

As PJR 27-2800 sounds so much nicer, higher rpm keeps the fluids flowing better also than 2250-2300.
Gene, I believe he is referring to the pto rpms on the read out, 2100 pto or 3200 engine. But, I could be wrong in which case I agree with you, that's not far above low idle.

·
Registered
967 Posts
1800 to 2200 engine RPM’s depending on my travel speed. My tractor only reads engine rpm.

But make sure the blades are sharp. It will cut the grass just fine and not “chop” the grass if the blades are kept sharp at lower RPM’s. A clean cut is more affected by sharpness than it is by rotating speed. A lot less noise a lower RPM.........

·
Registered
242 Posts
This has been discussed many times, I'll go against the WOT grain and say I mow at 27-2800 rpms. Absolutely no difference in cut quality between that and 3200, I've actually run at 2500 rpms with the same evaluation. But I like the way my engine sounds at 2800 so there is that. :laugh:
I think it disperses clippings better at WOT, otherwise I agree with you.

I was referring to PTO RPM. I run engine at 3200.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I think it disperses clippings better at WOT, otherwise I agree with you.
You're probably right, I run with a mulch kit. Did I mention the beautiful diesel tone I hear at 2800 rpms. :lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
You're probably right, I run with a mulch kit. Did I mention the beautiful diesel tone I hear at 2800 rpms. :lol:
My goofy salesman talked me out of a mulch kit :banghead: and wheel weights :banghead:

I’ll have to try the 2800 rpms just to hear the sound you speak of.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow, thats kinda like "how fast do you drive?" (depends on road conditions). I vary it (with ground speed) on how much grass is in front of me, and how dry it is. Right now in August I cut at about 2500-2600 and move pretty swiftly. Just watching for signs like grass layover (with a 60" frontier 3PH im aftercutting), thats a sign I'm spooling too slow and driving to fast to get suction on the tire-tracked grass and stand the green beard up. Time to slow down and spool up. In the spring with denser grass, younger, wetter grass its slowsky and full 540 RPM.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just adjust until I have the proper PTO RPM on the display, 2100 or 540. That's right around 3100 engine RPM on my 1023E

·
Registered
935 Posts
People seem to ask this question a lot. I think they should read the owners manual and mow at the rpm that everything was designed to mow at. There is a reason for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
We are flip flopping back and forth between engine RPM's and PTO RPM's in the comments.

I mow at 3,200 engine RPM's to get 540 rear PTO speed and the proper Mid PTO speed, 2,100 RPM's. My tractor's tach has the little "PTO symbol" at 3,200 RPM's, which is the targeted engine speed to spin either PTO shaft at its optimal speed for those implements.

The faster the blade speed, the better the clipping dispersion, the greater the grass lift and the better the cut.

As far as the diesel "tone" or engine sound, I wear hearing protection and Guns and Roses and Ac/Dc sound good at any RPM in my ear buds under the ear muffs blocking out the machine sound........after you have used your machine long enough, you can actually "feel" the machines performance and function. In a strange way, blocking out the operating sound allows me to be more in touch with the machines actual operation. Plus you feel the machines operational rotation and can tell when something isn't right.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I set the throttle to the mark on the dashboard. Its like SulleyBear said, it is on there for a reason, to get the pto rpms swt at the right speed so the mowers work like they were designed to. The same goes for running a snow blower or a tiller. JD designed the tractors to run at a certain throttle setting for these tasks. That goes for all of your tractors. You can do what you like, its your equipment, but if it breaks because you are not running it at the settings you are supposed to be running it at, don't be mad.

My neighbor has decided that he is saving gas by running his log splitter at idle while he is trying to split wood. He stands there cursing and gets mad because the splitter keeps bogging down and dying on him. When the hydraulic blow up one of these days because he isn't running it like he should. He will be mad about that next. He uses more gas trying to get it started again and it always sounds like it is dying from the air filter being clogged but its not. Its just struggling to run. He is supposed to be a mechanic by the way.

Anyway, good luck.
WB

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
We are flip flopping back and forth between engine RPM's and PTO RPM's in the comments.

I mow at 3,200 engine RPM's to get 540 rear PTO speed and the proper Mid PTO speed, 2,100 RPM's. My tractor's tach has the little "PTO symbol" at 3,200 RPM's, which is the targeted engine speed to spin either PTO shaft at its optimal speed for those implements.

The faster the blade speed, the better the clipping dispersion, the greater the grass lift and the better the cut.

As far as the diesel "tone" or engine sound, I wear hearing protection and Guns and Roses and Ac/Dc sound good at any RPM in my ear buds under the ear muffs blocking out the machine sound........after you have used your machine long enough, you can actually "feel" the machines performance and function. In a strange way, blocking out the operating sound allows me to be more in touch with the machines actual operation. Plus you feel the machines operational rotation and can tell when something isn't right.(It should be groovy and I dig it)
I am picturing you mowing in these Sully....:cheers:

mens-70s-guy-shirt-and-bell-bottoms-costume-5.jpg

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts